"At Odds" - May 15, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

On shore, YAY! The meta was not as easy for me as it was for some this week -- I filled up a page of gibberish before solving. I suspect I am still worn out from last week's epic struggle!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

ky-mike wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:47 pm I’m at odds with the meta at this point. Not seeing it. However, if everyone else thinks it is an easy one, no worries that I will get it solved this weekend.
I didn’t think it was that easy! But don’t complicate it too much.
Heidi
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

When I went in to tell my wife that I was on shore her first words were "Thank God, It's only Thursday, what are you going to do now".

Very clever MS
Last edited by Bob cruise director on Thu May 14, 2020 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
beccacollins

Post by beccacollins »

Holy Crap! I finally got one! Yay! It's been 2 months of me trying to get one of these solved - both the current ones and old ones I printed off. I'm super excited right now!! I shall start the weekend early with shots of Tequila.... oh... on shore ;)
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

beccacollins wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:41 pm Holy Crap! I finally got one! Yay! It's been 2 months of me trying to get one of these solved - both the current ones and old ones I printed off. I'm super excited right now!! I shall start the weekend early with shots of Tequila.... oh... on shore ;)
Congrats! The thrill never gets old!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

beccacollins wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:41 pm Holy Crap! I finally got one! Yay! It's been 2 months of me trying to get one of these solved - both the current ones and old ones I printed off. I'm super excited right now!! I shall start the weekend early with shots of Tequila.... oh... on shore ;)
Congratulations

From what I saw, your feet never touched the water as you flew from the ship to the shore.

The AHA moment
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Al Sisti wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 4:32 pm ON shore... fun one. Guinness me please?
Sorry, we only have Utica Club for you
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
TPS

Post by TPS »

Well I know I found the method because what I found is not a coincidence but I’m still a mile offshore because I have no idea what to do with it!

I think I have it now - need to back solve for final part. If someone who has it is open to a PM so I can check let me know.

I’m not sure I need it - I was able to backsolve the final part and this is a 100%. So I am onshore - thank the lord I don’t think I could have paid my bar tab if I spent another week with Isaac!
Last edited by TPS on Fri May 15, 2020 7:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Julie O wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 4:57 pmon shore
Did you do the drawing of yourself? it is excellent
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Beth Tyrpin wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 5:10 pm 🏝🥨🍹🐢
I knew you would be here. Your alter ego, Beth Albers, checked in at 4:57, only 13 minutes before you did.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

docison wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 5:37 pm Ashore and enjoying the (finally) lovely weather in Bostn.
Save that until after the storm tomorrow but the weekend should be great
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

TMart wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 5:48 pm On shore after a major struggle with technology. The WSJ puzzle page still isn't working for me, so I had to (gasp!) print the pdf and start filling it in by hand. I've never done that before. Man, I have bad handwriting. And doing it in pen didn't help either.

Then I tried this site again: https://www.fleetingimage.com/wij/xyzzy/20-wsj.html

and it worked, so I got the .puz version and flew to shore. Nice puzzle, but now I have to figure out how to submit the answer. I guess I'll have to (gasp again!) email the answer in. This is all so 20th century - maybe I can fax it.

I really need a Guinness after this ordeal. And maybe a couple of shots.
No mailing
You get your choice - mag tape, punch cards, 3 1/2" or 5 1/4" floppy
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

Bob cruise director wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 4:26 pm
For new muggles, as a resource and a lot of work by a couple of muggles, the past WSJ crossword contests and solutions are available on the blog at Come Aboard/FAQs – community/Past WSJ Crossword Contests & Solutions. They provide a tremendous resource for learning and refreshing about the techniques used to solve meta contests.

In addition, under Come Aboard/FAQ Community, there is a section on Guidance on Hints/Nudges. Last week there were a lot of good thoughts that I am working on consolidating and will post them under this link. It will be more of a “how to” rather than a “should I”.
It's been said many times before, but THANK YOU BOB for all that you do to make this forum great!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

A couple of things

I sent Mike Miller an email telling him about the technical issues with the on line version. Would someone post or PM me if it and when it gets solved

It is 9:15 pm EDT and we have more on shore than we did all last week.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

On shore.
Dudeski
Anita

Post by Anita »

On shore with the rest of the cool kids! I see it'll be tough to social distance this week. :-)
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

On shore, took a bit and suddenly struck by Zeus and woke up at the tiki bar!
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Bob cruise director wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:15 pm >> technical issues with the on line version. <<<<
I'm in the same boat. No oars. Seems a bad link from the PLAY button? All other puzzles this week load fine.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

I took the PDF route
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

Ashore and sipping on a Boulevard Rye on Rye. This was a fun one! I stared at it for a while and had nothing, and then the light bulb came on.