"Build Your Brand" - May 8, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
LesY

Post by LesY »

Eric Porter wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:35 pm
yourpalsal wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 12:57 pm So are we thinking it will be under 800 correct answers this week? I was so psyched that I solved a tough one and thought my odds of a mug may skyrocket this time from 1/1500 to 1/750! :-D
I'm guessing this will be one with fewer than 500 correct answers.

My mistake was thinking that the solution would be similar to Parting the Waters where you build a brand from multiple grid entries. Interestingly, you can find 4/5 of the theme answers at some Targets. That was the first thing I noticed when I tried to find a connection.
I had the same thought about Target, Eric (4/5 items available)! Yet, "subway" was somehow the first one that popped out at me.
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

I had to sit down and look at the explanation for 10 minutes before I got it. Not my favorite puzzle. I think it may have been a record low number of solvers for sure... On the plus side, I did see a roseate spoonbill and a little blue heron in on my swamp walk yesterday!!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Two years ago when I was in Europe and did not have access to the internet but am addicted to the metas, I hand drew the grid on a piece of paper that had notes for the trip. 15X15 squares, blackened in the appropriate squares (well they were not really close to being square) and put the numbers in. Then I attacked the grid and the meta. I did this for three weeks.

My wife thought I was nuts - she still does but after 50 years of marriage that comes as no surprise to either of us.
Bob, I do similar, though somehow I once thought enough ahead to print grid pages, from some site my former-math-teacher wife directed me to. I now keep a bunch of the grid sheets in my carry-on bag. So I only need to draw in the black squares and numbers. This is mostly needed when visiting the kids, because they don't have printers in their homes. Hotel clerks and B&B owners are used to me asking them to print the WSJCC and MGWCC puzzles (if, that is, they don't have a handy little business center, where I can do it myself). Yes, my wife too knows that I'm nuts when it comes to the metas. Well, in many other ways too.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Maybe somewhat interestingly (and maybe already covered here; if so, sorry), but the first brand in the clues to jump out at me was Kool -- not one, of course, we were supposed to be looking for. Which, when it didn't pan out, almost discouraged me from looking further into the clues.
femullen

Post by femullen »

Sometimes I read Monday's solution to Friday's puzzle, and I think, "Doh! I shoulda seen that!" Then there are times I congratulate myself for not having wasted time looking for solutions that, though sensible in hindsight, I wouldn't have thought of. But today's solution is a category by itself: even after reading it, I have no idea what it means. You could have given it to me with the puzzle on Friday, and I still wouldn't have figured it out. Only way I'd have gotten ashore would have been to run aground.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
bradisbrad

Post by bradisbrad »

Damn. I'm marking this one up as a KAS 4. Subway and Target stood out to me and I should have dug in on that more, but I left it hanging and tried too hard to find the answer in the grid. This one was surprisingly similar to (though less obvious than) a meta I just finished, so that's always rough. Fingers crossed for some redemption next week.
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

TMart wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 12:44 pm
FKelly wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 12:44 am This really isn't fair if you cannot print the puzzle out. I copied it by hand and now it's an absolute mess.
All's fair in the meta world!

And you CAN print the puzzle - use this link to get a .puz version of the WSJ puzzle each week. The current day's link is usually up within about 15 minutes after the puzzle is posted (so no hope of beating Al Sisti if you wait for it!)

It will only work on a computer, not on iphones or ipads.

https://www.fleetingimage.com/wij/xyzzy/20-wsj.html
There actually is an iPad version of 'acrosslite' (the app you need to open and solve '.puz' files).
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

so far no discussion about the other brand in the puzzle?

CHRISTIAN DIOR
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
boharr

Post by boharr »

MajordomoTom wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 2:58 pm so far no discussion about the other brand in the puzzle?

CHRISTIAN DIOR
Or Vienna (sausage) in the clues. Which leads to EINE and an E that can go in ADOBE.

Or 63A Gourmet (magazine).
Last edited by boharr on Mon May 11, 2020 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tigerfly222

Post by tigerfly222 »

tim1217 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 2:44 pm
TMart wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 12:44 pm
FKelly wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 12:44 am This really isn't fair if you cannot print the puzzle out. I copied it by hand and now it's an absolute mess.
All's fair in the meta world!

And you CAN print the puzzle - use this link to get a .puz version of the WSJ puzzle each week. The current day's link is usually up within about 15 minutes after the puzzle is posted (so no hope of beating Al Sisti if you wait for it!)

It will only work on a computer, not on iphones or ipads.

https://www.fleetingimage.com/wij/xyzzy/20-wsj.html
There actually is an iPad version of 'acrosslite' (the app you need to open and solve '.puz' files).
*ahem* I had assumed that what FKelly meant was that, like me, he/she does not have a printer. :)
TPS

Post by TPS »

MajordomoTom wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 2:58 pm so far no discussion about the other brand in the puzzle?

CHRISTIAN DIOR
Well since the CHRISTIAN was part of the clue for DIOR - I sorta dismissed it. But I did spend sometime on RIO & ARIA which are both hotel brands in Las Vegas and since the word HILT was also in the puzzle - after I ran through my ideas of how it was going to be Target, Walmart, or Costco and playing with the “OP” & “ART” in the puzzle - I spent sometime looking for Hotels.
Last edited by TPS on Mon May 11, 2020 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

boharr wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:01 pm

CHRISTIAN DIOR
Or Vienna (sausage) in the clues. Which leads to EINE and an E that can go in ADOBE.

or TAB
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Wow--I am totally impressed with all those who solved this! I've got some learning to do. I am reminding myself that when I first started doing the weekend WSJ crosswords, I found them a lot more challenging than I do now because I hadn't learned the ins and outs. I hope that this is the case here, and that solving the past few weeks wasn't just beginner's luck. There was no luck or aha moment this week.

I created so many rabbit holes that I don't know know how there was any solid ground to stand on. I was rooting around in a lot of the holes already mentioned. A different one that really threw me was the clue to 55D. It refers to the left ROW, but I think of rows as horizontal so it should really be a column. Lo and behold, there is a column in the answer to 30D. Columns...building....this must be it! I even called my structural engineer son for guidance. Obviously, nothing.

I printed out that nice list of hints from Tina that was posted. As well as jotting down solving tips that I am gleaning from the comments. Anything to get better!

I was so caught up with this puzzle that I didn't even print out the Saturday WSJ puzzle until this morning. Now to get to work on that.

On an unrelated note, I went out birding on Sunday morning as my Mother's Day treat to myself. 55 species of birds, including 15 different warblers. It was worth getting caught in a downpour.
boharr

Post by boharr »

tim1217 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:06 pm
boharr wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:01 pm

CHRISTIAN DIOR

or TAB
Rabbits.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

LadyBird wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:06 pm Wow--I am totally impressed with all those who solved this! I've got some learning to do. I am reminding myself that when I first started doing the weekend WSJ crosswords, I found them a lot more challenging than I do now because I hadn't learned the ins and outs. I hope that this is the case here, and that solving the past few weeks wasn't just beginner's luck. There was no luck or aha moment this week.

I created so many rabbit holes that I don't know know how there was any solid ground to stand on. I was rooting around in a lot of the holes already mentioned. A different one that really threw me was the clue to 55D. It refers to the left ROW, but I think of rows as horizontal so it should really be a column. Lo and behold, there is a column in the answer to 30D. Columns...building....this must be it! I even called my structural engineer son for guidance. Obviously, nothing.

I printed out that nice list of hints from Tina that was posted. As well as jotting down solving tips that I am gleaning from the comments. Anything to get better!

I was so caught up with this puzzle that I didn't even print out the Saturday WSJ puzzle until this morning. Now to get to work on that.

On an unrelated note, I went out birding on Sunday morning as my Mother's Day treat to myself. 55 species of birds, including 15 different warblers. It was worth getting caught in a downpour.
Where are you. The warblers are only very slowly coming into NE. Maybe this storm will blow them in and we will have a great fall out.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Guest lifting partner joined me in Captain's Quarters. Convinced me not to follow him all weekend. Excellent squats coach, I might add.
IMG_3326.jpeg
IMG_3328.jpeg
IMG_3329.jpeg
Lettuce all salute the solvers!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

yourpalsal wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 12:57 pm So are we thinking it will be under 800 correct answers this week? I was so psyched that I solved a tough one and thought my odds of a mug may skyrocket this time from 1/1500 to 1/750! :-D

My mistake was thinking that the solution would be similar to Parting the Waters where you build a brand from multiple grid entries. Interestingly, you can find 4/5 of the theme answers at some Targets. That was the first thing I noticed when I tried to find a connection.
Past experiences would indicate about 780 submissions to the WSJ with about 585 correct. Hopefully we will know soon
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

HeadinHome wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:37 pm Can someone explain to me the clue at 30D: Will work, often as "OPEDCOLUMN) (I assume that's the correct answer, only based on the crossing answers)

I don't get it.
George Will is an author. columnist and new commentator; as well as. an intense baseball fan, if memory serves.
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:20 pm

Past experiences would indicate about 780 submissions to the WSJ with about 585 correct. Hopefully we will know soon
PLEASE, no wagering!!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
femullen

Post by femullen »

I've just read explanations by some of you geniuses, and I think I finally get it. But I can assure you that the solution method would never have occurred to me.

I also read a bit of the debate about "nudges." I think using Google is nudging, but I don't object to people using it. I remember when Will Weng retired as NYT crossword editor. He printed a farewell letter to us in which he addressed nudges. He said something like this: "It's your puzzle. If you want to do it with an atlas in one hand and a dictionary in the other, go ahead." I get the most satisfaction from solving puzzles sans nudges. It's getting harder and harder these days, though, because so many cultural clues refer to cultural trends that are foreign to me. When the name of a hip-hop singer crosses with that of any TV actor or actress, I'm doomed.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.