"King Me!" - April 30, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Nice grid - waiting for a lightbulb to shine with Isaac.
One world. One planet. One future.
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

CPJohnson wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:23 pm I have stumbled onto an answer, but I can't say that I have any inkling how it relates to some of the hints given. It MUST be the answer, but how was I supposed to get there? How was I supposed to know where to start? Or end? Please count me still on the boat, Bob.
I can tell you that this was a 100% for me.
sanmilton

Post by sanmilton »

tim1217 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:52 pm
CPJohnson wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:23 pm I have stumbled onto an answer, but I can't say that I have any inkling how it relates to some of the hints given. It MUST be the answer, but how was I supposed to get there? How was I supposed to know where to start? Or end? Please count me still on the boat, Bob.
My own experience with these is that when you have the solution, you know. You should be able to explain it succinctly the way it's finally set forth on Monday. Otherwise, you may not have it yet.
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:04 pm Good afternoon sequestered muggles

This contest is either easy or impossible based on the comments

However we have five new muggles this week: Mmac, jb3211123, Emd (Ethan), F Liu and fstadler.

Currently we have 12 on the ship and 65 on the shore.

Good luck to all getting to the right shore
New pic Bob? Pemaquid Point Lighthouse if I'm not mistaken. The iconic reflection shot.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
Omnibus

Post by Omnibus »

Hung out in the bar with Isaac for a bit, but finally got on the launch to shore after a few drinks.
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Thanks, Isaac! I agree, it's really very important to complete the grid correctly!!

Ashore after following the appropriate(ish) path, just off by a few degrees.

Uh oh, no Night Swim left in the fridge. Rain check, please.

PS - dawning was part post- enlightenment, part "what-if" thought while walking the dog. Mostly, though, was getting the grid fixed!
Last edited by MarkL on Sat May 02, 2020 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

DBMiller wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:08 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:04 pm Good afternoon sequestered muggles

However we have five new muggles this week: Mmac, jb3211123, Emd (Ethan), F Liu and fstadler.

New pic Bob? Pemaquid Point Lighthouse if I'm not mistaken. The iconic reflection shot.
Definitely Pemaquid Point.

It seems Bob gets up my way a lot!

Shoot me a message if you're headed up some time.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Tough grid. Ashore. Clever, and fun meta. Natasha's words for it were that it was "esthetically pleasing". What made it fun for us was the family sitting around the dinner table, including frosh UT daughter and 5th grader, pulling on different strings, chasing rabbits, and finally reeling in the catch, thanks to Mike's genius.
LittleGood

Post by LittleGood »

I am decidedly not on shore, but while gazing into the distance at something shiny that caught my periphery, I slipped over the railing and sank straight to the bottom. I am hoping to at least come up for air.
flyingMoose

Post by flyingMoose »

Ashore, but I think I will skip the coffee at this hour.
Last edited by flyingMoose on Fri May 01, 2020 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rad26

Post by Rad26 »

On shore. Terrific grid and meta. Have a safe weekend.
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

sanmilton wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:57 pm
tim1217 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:52 pm
My own experience with these is that when you have the solution, you know. You should be able to explain it succinctly the way it's finally set forth on Monday. Otherwise, you may not have it yet.
Exactly. When I feel I'm struggling to justify a path, I ask myself; "How would the explanation be written on Monday?" If it seems overly complicated, it's probably the wrong path.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

hcbirker wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:33 pm Ran out of new books to read. I rarely reread books, but in the spirit of this forum I’m reading the Harry Potter books again. Go Muggles!
I just reread Sorcerer's Stone. Unfortunately, the rest of the books are not available from our library online. And our actual books are in another state with our daughter, so that isn't going to happen either.
burak

Post by burak »

Well, this meta made me realize my entire life has been a lie. Will explain after the deadline.

Fun one. Ashore after some initial confusion.

P.S.: Out of curiousity, if you submit your answer via email do you put anything in the body of the email? I don't want to send an email with just the subject line so I always say something like "Thanks", but if there are people that commented on/complimented the puzzle and got a response back I'd love to know ahah.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Put your name and address so they know where to send the mug when you win.
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Guess I picked the wrong week to quit drinking. I'm still with Isaac sipping on a Roy Rogers....sigh
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

Eric Porter wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:55 pm On shore. This one reminds me a lot of one of my favorites, but revealing which one it is would be a spoiler. Fun puzzle!
Now I remember which one it is. That one was a tougher one.
Beth C

Post by Beth C »

On shore. Difficult grid, good meta. Good luck Muggles.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

DBMiller wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:08 pm

Absolutely correct. I have many shots of New England lighthouses
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

burak wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 1:13 am Well, this meta made me realize my entire life has been a lie. Will explain after the deadline.

Fun one. Ashore after some initial confusion.

P.S.: Out of curiousity, if you submit your answer via email do you put anything in the body of the email? I don't want to send an email with just the subject line so I always say something like "Thanks", but if there are people that commented on/complimented the puzzle and got a response back I'd love to know ahah.
WSJ will contact you via email if you win. You give them the address of where to send the mug and your name if it is not clear from the email address.

This is the process that I understand from WSJ however for me it is still theoretical. :cry:
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director