"Capitalized Words" - April 24, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

sharkicicles wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:38 pm ok, now I can post this- does anyone else outside of the Chicago area know what DES PLAINES is? Not the first time I've seen it in a puzzle... and if there was some other random suburb of another city, I'd have no idea.
I know Des Plaines. But I am from the Midwest.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

sharkicicles wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:38 pm ok, now I can post this- does anyone else outside of the Chicago area know what DES PLAINES is? Not the first time I've seen it in a puzzle... and if there was some other random suburb of another city, I'd have no idea.
My great-aunt lived there! I was amused when I started taking French in high school because I realized it should be pronounced "day plenne," but in reality people call it "dess playnse" in a flat Midwestern accent.

(I don't count for the purposes of this survey though, since I grew up in the Chicago area. I've also been surprised to see it in crosswords before since it seemed pretty obscure even when I visited there.)
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

I knew it too.I have gone to many conventions at the Donald Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

BarbaraK wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:29 pm
MikeMillerwsj wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:07 pm A huge turnout this week! We had 2558 entries, with 82% correct (and another 18 for JEFFERSON STARSHIP). A large showing for two other bands that vaguely resemble state capitals: SANTANA (156) and SHA NA NA (41). Plus a nostalgic dip into the rest of the Woodstock playlist: CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL (25), BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS (19), THE WHO (11), CANNED HEAT (9), GRATEFUL DEAD (9), BUFFALO SPRINGFIELD (5), and ARLO GUTHRIE (2), among others.

Congrats to this week's winner: Shelley Kaufman of Randolph, NJ! Stay safe solvers!
Second highest number of submissions ever - behind only 02/01/19 "Just Say the Word" JAPAN.
Barbara-I’m impressed.How did you know that?
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

I was afraid that I had posted a spoiler early in this thread when I referred to the Des Plaines answer and mentioned Tattoo. I thought that the reference to Plane might be a tip off, but since no one mentioned it and Bob left it up I guess it was OK.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

LOL, Barbara-What is the record for consecutive posts?
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

BrianDavidson wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:10 pm
Tom Shea wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:53 pm Then again, I've heard of Tonawanda too, since I used to get WKBW late at night when they were late night radio (50K watts strong!) when I grew up.
But did you know there's also a North Tonawanda? :lol:
Of course! I drive through it many a time going to a project site down the street from Love Canal. Veeerrry depressed area in the early to mid 90's.

I also know of Lackawanna.
Rufus T. Firefly
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

oldjudge wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:09 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:29 pm Second highest number of submissions ever - behind only 02/01/19 "Just Say the Word" JAPAN.
I keep a spreadsheet and record the numbers when Mike posts them. Why yes, I am a nerd:) Here though, I'm in good company:):)

Speaking of spreadsheets, anyone who didn't win a mug yet can always add up how many virtual micromugs they've earned using xivxav's spreadsheet
forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=279
He set it up so you can start a column for yourself and put in your result every week. (Or you can just make a copy of the sheet.)

oldjudge wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:14 pm LOL, Barbara-What is the record for consecutive posts?
Someone else will have to track that one.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

BarbaraK wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:02 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:29 pm Second highest number of submissions ever - behind only 02/01/19 "Just Say the Word" JAPAN.
I keep a spreadsheet and record the numbers when Mike posts them. Why yes, I am a nerd:) Here though, I'm in good company:):)

Speaking of spreadsheets, anyone who didn't win a mug yet can always add up how many virtual micromugs they've earned using xivxav's spreadsheet
He set it up so you can start a column for yourself and put in your result every week. (Or you can just make a copy of the sheet.)

oldjudge wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:14 pm LOL, Barbara-What is the record for consecutive posts?
Being as nerdy as Barbara, she gave me her spreadsheet (Thank you Barbara) and I have added to it the muggles on shore. I have concluded a few things (none of which help me either get the meta or win the mug) such as

The number of WSJ submissions is very erratic but the trend is up from about 700 in mid 2016 to about 1500 currently
The number of correct submissions (linear trend) has increased from 500 in mid 2016 to 1200 currently
The percentage of submissions correct (linear trend) has increased from 72% in 2016 to 77% currently
The number of muggles on shore has increased from a 6 week average of 20 in mid 2017 to 120 currently.
The percentage of muggles on the shore has consistently been about 10% of the number of correct entries submitted to the WSJ
The percentage of muggles on the shore has consistently been about 8% of the number of total submissions to the WSJ entries
If you are doing these contests solely for the mug, it probably is not going to happen.

What all this says about the contests or us is left as an exercise for the muggles.

Final conclusion is that it has been raining in NE all day and I can neither play golf nor work in the yard nor go to Maine to do anything and after six weeks of this, I am bored.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
TPS

Post by TPS »

I am curious how many other people actually have a WSJ subscription? Is there a polling feature on the site?
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:27 pm

Being as nerdy as Barbara, she gave me her spreadsheet (Thank you Barbara) and I have added to it the muggles on shore. I have concluded a few things (none of which help me either get the meta or win the mug) such as

The number of WSJ submissions is very erratic but the trend is up from about 700 in mid 2016 to about 1500 currently
The number of correct submissions (linear trend) has increased from 500 in mid 2016 to 1200 currently
The percentage of submissions correct (linear trend) has increased from 72% in 2016 to 77% currently
The number of muggles on shore has increased from a 6 week average of 20 in mid 2017 to 120 currently.
The percentage of muggles on the shore has consistently been about 10% of the number of correct entries submitted to the WSJ
The percentage of muggles on the shore has consistently been about 8% of the number of total submissions to the WSJ entries
If you are doing these contests solely for the mug, it probably is not going to happen.

What all this says about the contests or us is left as an exercise for the muggles.

Final conclusion is that it has been raining in NE all day and I can neither play golf nor work in the yard nor go to Maine to do anything and after six weeks of this, I am bored.
I am SO saving all of this info and having my Algebra students plot an on-line graph for me! Thanks for putting it all in one place!!
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

TPS wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:34 pm I am curious how many other people actually have a WSJ subscription? Is there a polling feature on the site?
Yes, when you start a new thread, you can create it as a poll, using the tab underneath the Submit button. Users can't create new threads in the WSJ section, but you are welcome to do so in the Lounge section.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Thurman8er wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:34 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:27 pm

I am SO saving all of this info and having my Algebra students plot an on-line graph for me! Thanks for putting it all in one place!!
If you want the data to have them analyze it and see what they come up with, let me know via a PM and I will send you the spreadsheet/
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

When you say consecutive posts, what do you mean? submissions of being on the ship or shore?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

TPS wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:34 pm I am curious how many other people actually have a WSJ subscription? Is there a polling feature on the site?
It is harder to tell exactly however when we were on the WSJ comments page about 50% were subscribers. When we coverted to the blog, I tried to associate the blog name with what I had for WSJ names and the 50% still held. I can not tell if the subscribers were print or digital.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
TPS

Post by TPS »

Cool thank you all - I was just curious.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

oldjudge wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:14 pm I was afraid that I had posted a spoiler early in this thread when I referred to the Des Plaines answer and mentioned Tattoo. I thought that the reference to Plane might be a tip off, but since no one mentioned it and Bob left it up I guess it was OK.
I saw it but did not associate Tattoo with Da Plane. Also I can not delete anything - only Brian can. Anyone can recommend that something comes down and that is usually followed.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:27 pm If you are doing these contests solely for the mug, it probably is not going to happen.

That should be right after ∇⋅b=0 in Maxwell's laws.

P(mug)→0

Let's call it Stevens' Law.
Rufus T. Firefly
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

I am an on again off again subscriber. We had dogs and needed newspaper so I would subscribe for a while when they had specials. For instance, I can get 2 months for $1 right now. I like reading some of the articles, but it is pretty price in my estimation for my purposes. Once I did one of these specials and forgot to cancel in time and paid an extra $27 for the extra month. Yikes. For some reason, last time I subscribed they had a special to get the Saturday paper free for a year. So I still get the Saturday paper, but cannot read articles behind the paywall.
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

I'm originally from an area about that's about halfway between Des Moines and Des Plaines. Yep, both are not pronounced like their French origins, and each one is different. DEE MOYNE and DESS PLANES.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.