"Capitalized Words" - April 24, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

Yesterday we took a stroL EAST to stop aT ERNie's for a 10 pound bag of wholesale shrimp. Then I asked my husband to drive a littLE ASTray along beach boulevard to see the southeasTERN Sky and hopefully some nesting LEAST TERNS. Great day! Now for the crossword puzzLE * (ASTerick) or weekend's discombobulaTER Noggin scratcher!
Hello to all and thanks for the LEAST TERN posts!!
Anita

Post by Anita »

On shores, toes in the sand!
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

Ashore!

Back then, my best friend's cousin was the PR person for this band's label. And one of my ex's best friends was married to one of their roadies.

Backstage passes, baby!
flyingMoose

Post by flyingMoose »

The best I could do in south Texas was a two-band concert by The Animals (no Eric Burdon &, yet) and Herman's Hermits, the latter being deemed the headliners. It didn't take even me long to figure out that was a mistake.

After that, it was a lot of Peter, Paul & Mary. :)

fM
ckurihara

Post by ckurihara »

After a couple of sideways tries, I'm on the straight and narrow now - and ashore. Loving the stories of band encounters. I saw a brand new group play a free concert at UCLA in the early 70s and wasn't sure they'd make it - Talking Heads! They were so young. Thanks again to this group for keeping things interesting.
Trying to find meaning (and not just for crossword puzzles).
howardl

Post by howardl »

Ashore. And quickly. The grid was harder for me than usual because I don't know the NBC new years eve lineup, or a list of Calvin and Hobbes characters.
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

Ashore! Too easy, even for this Xer. But the MGWCC looks to make up for it...
boharr

Post by boharr »

ckurihara wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:14 pm Loving the stories of band encounters. I saw a brand new group play a free concert at UCLA in the early 70s and wasn't sure they'd make it - Talking Heads! They were so young. Thanks again to this group for keeping things interesting.
Well, to keep it going. Back in the 60s in Greenwich Village I went to a concert to see folk singer (I think; don't recall which one). The opening act I do remember. It was this band who at the end of the set broke the guitars.
Begbie

Post by Begbie »

Ahoy, mateys. Took a break from today's Zoom-fest of meetings to eat lunch and work on the puzzle. Happy to find myself on shore. Done and done. Sadly it is not a beach day in Philadelphia by any means.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

First big concert for me was the R.E.M. Monster tour in 1995. Saw them twice, once at the Rosemont Horizon and once at World Music Theater.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

boharr wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:43 pm
ckurihara wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:14 pm Loving the stories of band encounters. I saw a brand new group play a free concert at UCLA in the early 70s and wasn't sure they'd make it - Talking Heads! They were so young. Thanks again to this group for keeping things interesting.
Well, to keep it going. Back in the 60s in Greenwich Village I went to a concert to see folk singer (I think; don't recall which one). The opening act I do remember. It was this band who at the end of the set broke the guitars.
Whoa!
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Al Sisti wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:46 pm
boharr wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:43 pm
Whoa!
Do you mean "Who?"
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
cashk

Post by cashk »

Ashore.

I worked the grid yesterday and was convinced of another band that's name is obviously right in the puzzle, but I think the hint "completing the theme" would be better stated as "matching the theme", and thus a different band is the answer they're looking for, and the one I submitted.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

A friend who also thought they were ashore pointed out something to me which makes me fear I've been pageant-ed...
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

On shore. Interesting puzzle!
yungchap

Post by yungchap »

on shore!
VincentM

Post by VincentM »

Ashore! First time in a few weeks.
no .sig, no avatar, just puzzlin' fun
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

The closest I ever came to The Doors is that I attended the same high school as Ray Manzarek (albeit 17 years apart!). May he R.I.P.

On a lighter note, it appears that every large company has hired the same ad agency for their COVID-19 message. A bit long but stick with it. You'll be LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM3J9jD ... e=emb_logo
Natalie

Post by Natalie »

Bird Lives wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:16 pm
michaelm wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:16 pm On shore.
Not much social distancing at Woodstock, eh?
Any Muggles who were there?
No, but I was in Haight Ashbury for the Summer of Love. Does that count?
That might actually count double. : ) ) )
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

Safely ashore about to sip on a Tequila Sunset (I know, it’s a Sunrise, but due to time of day, I look at it in inverted Sunrise!)🍹

I graduated from college that summer and started my job so time off was not an option. Had to settle for the fantasy. 🎼🎸🥁🎹. Always loved the performer!