"Line of Work" - April 17, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Tony S

Post by Tony S »

MarkL wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:31 am Trying for a personal 'triple play' this weekend: all three wsj number puzzles, the meta, and this week's cryptic. The first two are done; cryptics have always eluded me, but have parts of this one pinned down. Cheers!

Update - starting to look like Tinkers to Evers to...
NO CHANCE! Cryptics are just beyond my lateral thinking capabilities. "A man's got to know his limitations."

Stay safe & healthy!
Don't give up on the cryptic! It's one of the best puzzles I've done so far this weekend. You can always get a hint or two from the WSJ blog.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

MarkL wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:31 am Trying for a personal 'triple play' this weekend: all three wsj number puzzles, the meta, and this week's cryptic. The first two are done; cryptics have always eluded me, but have parts of this one pinned down. Cheers!

Update - starting to look like Tinkers to Evers to...
NO CHANCE! Cryptics are just beyond my lateral thinking capabilities. "A man's got to know his limitations."

Stay safe & healthy!
Very clever baseball allusion and wordplay...
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

A double play by these guys is still pretty good.
TinkerEversChance2.jpg
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

DBMiller wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:35 pm A double play by these guys is still pretty good.

TinkerEversChance2.jpg

Are you in Cooperstown or did you get these on line?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
howardl

Post by howardl »

On shore. From hopeless to flash!! to finished.
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:01 pm
DBMiller wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:35 pm A double play by these guys is still pretty good.

TinkerEversChance2.jpg

Took them when I visited Cooperstown in 2018
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Duh! Can’t believe it took me so long to see it. I got stuck on a red herring and wouldn’t let it go. I’m ashore!
Good luck muggles.
Jazzvibist

Post by Jazzvibist »

Ashore (at last). Thanks, Mike.
ccmac

Post by ccmac »

Just got going on this and am still on the boat with no hope at the moment. Hopefully inspiration will strike before midnight.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

TinkerEversChance2.jpg
"These are the saddest of possible words/Tinkers to Evers to Chance!" Man, I love that place. Only 45 miles from my house and I've been there far less often than I should.
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

On shore, after a slight nudge from my smart daughter halfway around the world (she simply confirmed that I was on the right track). But there were several rabbit holes that had to be explored first. Glad to be enjoying the crowd at the bar.
Jazzvibist

Post by Jazzvibist »

DBMiller wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:03 pm

TinkerEversChance2.jpg

Out of curiosity, does “them” refer to pictures of the plaques or the plaques themselves?
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Jazzvibist wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:19 pm

Out of curiosity, does “them” refer to pictures of the plaques or the plaques themselves?
Heh - Took the pictures of the plaques. We were on our way to Ithaca to shoot some waterfalls.

https://www.facebook.com/dbmiller1961/m ... 011&type=3
Jazzvibist

Post by Jazzvibist »

DBMiller wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:34 pm
Jazzvibist wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:19 pm

Heh - Took the pictures of the plaques. We were on our way to Ithaca to shoot some waterfalls.

https://www.facebook.com/dbmiller1961/m ... 011&type=3
Thanks for including the link. Coincidentally I have photographed some of the same or similar subjects (almost all of them using a cell phone). Although I have a fortunate handful of keepers, most of yours put mine to shame. Many of your nature shots are quite spectacular.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Solved, with a nudge from the daughter in Spain. Haven't had time to read the blog yet....looking forward to doing it tomorrow.
Cynthia
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Our final count is 6 on the ship and 149 on the shore.

And we have our newest muggle Lee-Ann

Joining Isaac for the week is ccmac

And adding to the already crowded shore are
Juliet
jag
Lee-Ann
Susan H
Jazzvibist
howardl
SusieG
Michael S
eagle1279
and Cynthia J

If you don't normally go to the Welcome Aboard/Introduce Yourself page, it is worth the read. We have some extremely interesting new muggles

Good luck to all winning the mug.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
TMart

Post by TMart »

Al Sisti wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:09 pm

TinkerEversChance2.jpg
"These are the saddest of possible words/Tinkers to Evers to Chance!" Man, I love that place. Only 45 miles from my house and I've been there far less often than I should.
I’m looking forward to getting up to Cooperstown in a few years when my Phillies double-play trio gets there - Rollins to Utley to Howard. Someone should write a poem about them.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

TMart wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:10 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:09 pm

TinkerEversChance2.jpg
I’m looking forward to getting up to Cooperstown in a few years when my Phillies double-play trio gets there - Rollins to Utley to Howard. Someone should write a poem about them.
Some of your Phillies are already there too... Richie Ashburn for one, who, with Granny Hamner, Stan Lopata and Eddie Sawyer, played for the Utica Blue Sox before becoming the Whiz Kids. Another Utican -- Dave Cash -- also played for the Phillies.
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

Just made it to shore! I woke up at 3:30 this morning knowing exactly what to look for. Unfortunately, I drank some Sleepy Time EXTRA tea instead of the caffeine that seemed to help other Muggles this weekend. Still couldn't find the path that I was looking for - must have been the added valerian that Celestial Seasonings touts as a natural sleep aid. After a busy day, I sat down and filled in a new grid and there it was staring me in the face. Now the weekend is complete!
Sara
LaceyK

Post by LaceyK »

I made it to shore after a helpful nudge to explore something I noticed a little further. Thank you to all that offered help! This group is so wonderful. :)