Printing tips for WSJ puzzle?

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
tonyrobots

Printing tips for WSJ puzzle?

Post by tonyrobots »

Hi, very sorry if this has been covered before, but I struggle every week trying to get the WSJ puzzle to print at a reasonable size (i.e. filling most of a 8.5" x 11" sheet.) Anyone have any tips for getting this right? I am very technically adept, but somehow this still eludes me. When I try to scale up in my print settings, it scales off the page rather than filling it. Obviously I could do a screenshot, scale that, and print, but I'd love a quick, simple solution. I know most of you print every week, so surely you've solved this (admittedly relatively simple, I reckon) puzzle.

Please help!
boharr

Post by boharr »

On the WSJ website, I choose print - but don't because the puzzle comes out small. Instead, I save it as a PDF and then just print that PDF, which fills a 8.5 x 11 sheet with no adjustments. I'm using a Mac with Safari.
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

Indeed that worked for me on Mac Safari and Edge on Windows. I normally use Firefox, which is terrific in lots of ways, but for some reason struggles here. Thanks!
Meg

Post by Meg »

There is a website where you can get every wsj crossword in AcrossLite, including the meta crossword.
https://www.fleetingimage.com/wij/xyzzy/20-wsj.html
The upside is you save on toner. You can make the black squares grey. The downside is you have to be willing to wait 10-15 minutes for it to update itself.
Last edited by Meg on Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Meg wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:32 pm There is a website where you can get every wsj crossword in AcrossLite, including the meta crossword.
https://www.fleetingimage.com/wij/xyzzy/20-wsj.html
The upside is you save on toner. You can make the black squares grey. They downside is you have to be willing to wait 10-15 minutes for it to update itself.
Thank you. This is very helpful.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

tonyrobots wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:32 pm Indeed that worked for me on Mac Safari and Edge on Windows. I normally use Firefox, which is terrific in lots of ways, but for some reason struggles here. Thanks!
you can usually change options between (a) open the PDF in a tab within the browser and (b) open the PDF in the separate PDF software.

(b) is usually better for these when you want to 'kill a tree' with the puzzle.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

Thanks all, some good options here...
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I actually like having plenty of margin on my meta puzzles to have space for making notes on theories.
AnnP

Post by AnnP »

Using Windows and Firefox, I download the PDF, open it in my PDF reader (Foxit reader), choose 'FIT TO PAGE' and it prints perfectly every time. Hope this helps.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

If you really want to get them most out of the Meta and the ability to highlight, make notes, etc. you need to give the template Joe Ross posted a try. (forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=135) You have to have Excel or download the template and import it into Google Sheets. It's great because you can solve right there or, if you want to print it out. print from the spreadsheet (warning - you are printing a picture so it takes a lot longer to print!).

If you absolutely want to just print the WSJ puzzle from the web, when I "download" the PDF and select print a box comes up that asks if I want to print to PDF or to the default printer. When I pick my HP Printer the box lets me choose different things, including the sizing of the output. I find that choosing 140 or 150% fills my page without running off. Yours may differ, but on my computer it at least gives me a "Print Preview" that lets me know what it might look like.

Hope this helps.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!