"Between Meals" - April 10, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

MajordomoTom wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:31 pm I'm getting tensor and tensor.
Would you care to differentiate that?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
boharr

Post by boharr »

Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:13 am
Would differentiation require a lava lamp?
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

And the lesson to be learned here is to never discuss infinity with mathematicians, they can go on about it forever.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

we're rapidly vectoring to unlimited tangents (that's a math word salad).
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Speaking of vector, Victor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ9iPTu_FMA

From the greatest art film ever.
Rufus T. Firefly
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Tom Shea wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:25 pm I think it's an imaginary number. And a vector. Or maybe a Laplace transform. Or maybe ∇⋅B=0. Or the tarot cards lied!

I just know that my number (42) has never been picked. Now, what was the question?
Besides being the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything, it's also Jackie Robinson's number... the only professional athlete in any major sport to have his number be retired league-wide. Besides his undeniable talent on the field, he is/was just as strongly recognized for his strength, courage, patience and demeanor. Jackie Robinson Day was yesterday, and -- in a normal year -- every player on every team would have been wearing the number 42.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

boharr wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:29 am
Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:13 am
Would differentiation require a lava lamp?
Only if you integrate it into the problem
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Al Sisti wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:11 pm
Tom Shea wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:25 pm I think it's an imaginary number. And a vector. Or maybe a Laplace transform. Or maybe ∇⋅B=0. Or the tarot cards lied!

I just know that my number (42) has never been picked. Now, what was the question?
Besides being the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything, it's also Jackie Robinson's number... the only professional athlete in any major sport to have his number be retired league-wide. Besides his undeniable talent on the field, he is/was just as strongly recognized for his strength, courage, patience and demeanor. Jackie Robinson Day was yesterday, and -- in a normal year -- every player on every team would have been wearing the number 42.
Not to take anything from Jackie Robinson, but also Mariano Rivera's number (honoring Jackie Robinson). Rivera was the last player player to wear the number every day. And the only unanimous hall of fame electee. Makes you wonder who voted against Jackie (but unfortunately not wonder why). Or Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Ted Williams...
Rufus T. Firefly
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

And the last person to wear number 42 was the great Mariano Rivera. One of the great pitchers of all time (from a Red Sox fan). Everyone knew he was going to throw that 12 to 6 curve ball but no one could hit it.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Tom Shea wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:36 pm

Not to take anything from Jackie Robinson, but also Mariano Rivera's number (honoring Jackie Robinson). Rivera was the last player player to wear the number every day. And the only unanimous hall of fame electee. Makes you wonder who voted against Jackie (but unfortunately not wonder why). Or Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Ted Williams...
There have been a lot of baseball players who should have been unanimous but weren't. A few old timers believed that no one should be unanimous so they voted against them on principle.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Tom Shea wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:56 am Speaking of vector, Victor:

I knew what that video was before clicking the link ;)
If you haven't yet, you need to watch "Zero Hour" (1957)
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:37 pm

And the last person to wear number 42 was the great Mariano Rivera. One of the great pitchers of all time (from a Red Sox fan). Everyone knew he was going to throw that 12 to 6 curve ball but no one could hit it.
...and they all knew it was coming. Yeah, one of a kind for certain. I think Mr. Robinson would have approved of Mo's wearing his number.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Janet P wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:00 pm
Tom Shea wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:56 am Speaking of vector, Victor:

I knew what that video was before clicking the link ;)
If you haven't yet, you need to watch "Zero Hour" (1957)
Everything new is the well-forgotten old.

I have only seen clips of it, and just ordered the DVD set (with the other fine art films, Hot Rods to Hell and Skyjacked). If you haven't seen Hot Rods to Hell, it's a great movie -- if you think the old Dragnet series is hilarious. Yes, it's that bad of a movie. Also ordered the toxic avenger series, just because I was buying bad movies.
Rufus T. Firefly
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Refresh...refresh...refresh...
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Fire the intern playing Xbox instead of loading the puzzle...Fire the intern playing Xbox instead of loading the puzzle...Fire the intern playing Xbox instead of loading the puzzle...
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

BrianMac wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:41 pm Refresh...refresh...refresh...
And like Pavlov's dogs, we started salivating when the clock struck 4:00 (ET)
Meg

Post by Meg »

Wherrrrrrrrrrre is it?
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

From March 12th, when the CC was also late:

Contest, Crossword <crosswordcontest@wsj.com> (sent by mike.miller@wsj.com)
Thu, Mar 12, 5:27 PM

we're having trouble today with lots of staffers working at home and a very big strain on our site with massive news flow. our apologies. we're on the case, stay tuned!

---------------------

EDIT1: It was posted at 5:37 PM, that day.

Does anyone else have Final Jeopardy playing as an earworm...?
Last edited by Joe Ross on Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Brian, do you know the record of the most people using this site at one time? Lots of eager/anxious folks on right now.
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

While waiting, I did Thursday's crossword - Making Amends. Was hoping for things like Amsterdam, amalgam, amidsummernightsdream, but that wasn't quite the gimmick
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.