"Between Meals" - April 10, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:52 pm Speaking of sandwiches, another interesting discussion is what you call the ends of a loaf of bread
Crusts, but heard of heels. Wife is Canadian and calls them croûtes, which translates to crusts.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

ky-mike wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:45 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:52 pm Speaking of sandwiches, another interesting discussion is what you call the ends of a loaf of bread
I've always called them heels. Do you have another name for them?
That is a very upstate New York term. My mother used it.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
juliet

Post by juliet »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:50 pm
We called them heels--mom was from New Jersey, but her parents came from northern Pennsylvania/southern New York. As children, we also called them crusts. On a loaf of Dave's Killer Bread, they are the best slices for toast.

I grew up in the Puget Sound area where carbonated beverages were called "pop," but learned to use the word "soda" when living in Manhattan (otherwise I was laughed at).
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:50 am
TPS wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:42 am
Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:02 am
And for Dow Jones or any other brilliant person, can you explain to me why the market is going up when unemployment is skyrocketing and multiple industries (airlines, restaurants, motels, energy, vacations) are on the ropes.
Valuations are calculated by discounting future cash flows. So the market is forward looking. (The Dow Jones is not the most accurate way to explain but it is the simplest to do so at a high level). The DJ declined from around 30k to 19k and has now rebounded back up to ~23k. So it is still down ~20% from the highs.

To get to valuation you have to look at the numerator (future cash flows) / and the denominator (the discount rate). So two things have happened the Fed has slashed the Fed Funds rates and money has flocked into treasuries - that means bond yields are low and are likely to stay ow for the foreseeable future - thus the denominator has gone down.

Also, expectations of future cash flows have like improved from the "doomsday" scenario many people were predicting two weeks ago.

So predictions for the numerator have likely gone up and predictions for the denominator have gone down - thus valuations look more attractive and people buy stocks. But valuations are only as good as the assumptions used to create them - so could the market turn around and crash another 20% - sure if there was a catalyst that results in a reduction of estimates for future cash flows. But for right now many people think a 20% decline from the highs in a zero interest rate environment with tons of liquidity represents a buying opportunity.

Hope that helps.
But the future cash flows for most of the companies is negative as they have no bookings or sales for the next six months or more. No one is buying anything or planning anything for a variety or reasons (no job, fear of travel, fear of getting sick or losing their job so they are putting off real estate purchase or car purchase). and many of these companies took on debt as the interest rates are low and the have payments coming due and no cash to pay them. Although the doomsday scenario is less, consumer confidence is extremely low right now.

Bob-Future cash flows are meant to encompass at least the next ten years. The cash flows you are pointing to are for the next several quarters (hopefully). Everyone should also remember that in the short term market prices are heavily influenced by emotion. In the long run, fundamentals rule. As Benjamin Graham said, and Warren Buffett parroted:

“In the Short-Run, the Market Is a Voting Machine, But in the Long-Run, the Market Is a Weighing Machine”
boharr

Post by boharr »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:50 pm
Not so very upstate. I grew up 30 miles from Manhattan and we always called them heels.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

This was a tougher fill than usual for me, but a really fun puzzle. Ashore me hearties!
boharr

Post by boharr »

oldjudge wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:08 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:50 am
TPS wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:42 am
Bob-Future cash flows are meant to encompass at least the next ten years. The cash flows you are pointing to are for the next several quarters (hopefully). Everyone should also remember that in the short term market prices are heavily influenced by emotion. In the long run, fundamentals rule. As Benjamin Graham said, and Warren Buffett parroted:

“In the Short-Run, the Market Is a Voting Machine, But in the Long-Run, the Market Is a Weighing Machine”
And as Keynes said, "In the long run, we are all dead."
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

I'm finally on shore, but I had a much harder time with this one than last week. It's a fair puzzle, but I just wasn't getting it.
Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:02 am And for Dow Jones or any other brilliant person, can you explain to me why the market is going up when unemployment is skyrocketing and multiple industries (airlines, restaurants, motels, energy, vacations) are on the ropes. My financial advisor does not understand it but I am sure a brilliant muggle can explain it.
Stocks are going up for 2 main reasons in my opinion. People think the worst is over. The government and the Federal Reserve are spending trillions of dollars.
I also don't think stocks should be rising when we're already in a recession or worse, but I know a bit about how investors think. I work in the financial industry, but nothing to do with equity markets. Don't take this as investment advice.
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

On shore only because of huge hint from my sister-in-law. Don't deserve a Guinness this week, I'll be drinking Miller Lite.
diplomatt

Post by diplomatt »

On the beach!
Ann

Post by Ann »

Ashore! I thought that the grid was tougher than usual.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

DBMiller wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:25 pm
Crusts, but heard of heels. Wife is Canadian and calls them croûtes, which translates to crusts.
Heels, ends, & crusts I've heard & used. Croûtes is new to me and makes perfect sense.

Do not ask me the etymology, but our family called them heels, mostly, but also "cokies". Yes, with one "o", which is a long vowel in this word.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
boharr

Post by boharr »

On shore. But it took a couple of trips.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

DBMiller wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:25 pm
My wife turned me onto the Yiddish term "krycek" (not sure of the spelling; pronounced "cry-check"), which I have adopted. It struck me as funny because there was an X-Files character with that name and he was a bit of a "heel." I've always wondered if that was the inspiration for his name, but have never been able to confirm it.
Natalie

Post by Natalie »

Got it, after a brief rabbit hole experience. At least I am learning how to discard an unyielding approach and find a new one. Old habits die hard, but I'm not giving up on all old habits -- Monkey-and-tonic, please, with a wee slice of orange. Good weekend to all! Stay safe and healthy, and remember -- there's no social distancing at a virtual tiki-bar.
LaPetiteFlora

Post by LaPetiteFlora »

Ashore! Managed to sneak it in between Friday meetings (easier now that we’re all working from home).
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

billkatz wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:48 pm
MajordomoTom wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:46 pm tax law is the crazy place these days, particularly with the 880 page CARES Act and the changes it threw at us, plus three (really, more than three) IRS Notices about the tax deadline.

If you want to know more about 2019 taxes, google "IRS Notice 2020-23". It was issued at approximately 5 pm Central today, making even more changes to the 4/15 deadline (hint - it's pretty much all due 7/15 now).

Regards,
Tom
(CPA & Attorney, head of a trust company tax dept here in STL)
Does that mean that the June estimates are no longer due before the April estimates? :)
My wife is an estate planning/estate tax attorney, and had to go in to the office last week as estate tax deadlines were not changed, and the IRS does not accept them electronically. I understand it all fit in one box.
correct - it's 7/15. Q1 estimates, Q2 estimates, and estate tax returns. Crazy.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Congratulations to our newest muggles. We now have 600 of us in the clan.

Our newest muggles are
Big Mac
Frenchy
Dow Jones
ladybyrd
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
SuzeF

Post by SuzeF »

On shore this week! Bob, I used to log in and track as Susan F but I had to get "rid of her" and re-register as SuzeF. Not a new muggle, but want you to be aware of my change. I was having technical troubles and couldn't post for a long time - so I went with the easy solution. Thanks for your great tracking efforts - Susan
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MarkL wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:56 am
DrTom wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:22 am
CallMeShane wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:46 am Done.

And with time on my hand, I devote myself to that most sublime of all literary sub-genres. I give you ... Spam haiku

stomach rumbles now
eat cans of pink greasy Spam
bowels grumble later
I'm sure most everyone has seen this, but it cracked me up:
SPAM.jpg
There is rumored to be some fruitcake around, as well!
Cheers!!
A piece of Spam between two slices of fruitcake - YUM!!! Let's see Mike work that into the grid!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!