"Between Meals" - April 10, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
lacangah

Post by lacangah »

On shore - fun solve!

Good health to you all,
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

docison wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:54 pm Ashore. Not so sure about a sandwich themed puzzle during passover though!
Yes, this was definitely not a Hillel sandwich (apologies if that's a spoiler).
Jay
Beth C

Post by Beth C »

Another good one from Matt. Done & done. Good luck Muggles and have a nice weekend!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Apologies for posting this here, when there is a dedicated topic for it, but I want to acknowledge spotter for a great suggestion and point out to muggles that spotter's simpler method using Excel may be helpful to them.
Joe Ross wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:08 pm Link to 20200410 WSJCC Between Meals Excel Blank

EDIT1: NOTE WELL: This template has been upgraded incorporating spotter's simple & effective methodology.

Fill in the grid from cells A1 to O15, as normal. 4 additional grids are automatically created below Row 30, which can be used to highlight & mark-up.

Thank you, spotter!

spotter wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:51 am Here's my process for a second solve using Excel. I don't get fancy pasting the clues or the grid in the background, so if the meta is hidden in the clues, I'm out of luck this way. But sometimes, being able to highlight (and erase highlights) makes a clearer picture.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Geezer Weezer

Post by Geezer Weezer »

Dplass wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:57 pm
Bulls****** wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:54 pm I'm guessing that some of the early solvers are not correct...
What makes you think that?
Just a hunch. Some of these folks are pretty fast.
I am a man of few...
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

On shore, though there may be an additional bit of elegance here that I am not seeing.

Also, every time I look at the grid, I keep misreading the entry at 15A and thinking that the definition should be: Dis?
Jay
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Bulls****** wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:13 am
Bulls****** wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:54 pm I'm guessing that some of the early solvers are not correct...
They've done dozens, maybe hundreds, of metas. Some people are fast. And, recently we've seen a big uptick in participants (especially here), resulting in even more of a "bell curve" of solvers, meaning there are even more fast (and slow!) people now than before.

More importantly, don't let it get to you. (I'm still in the dark about this one too.)
Geezer Weezer

Post by Geezer Weezer »

Dplass wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:17 am
Bulls****** wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:13 am

They've done dozens, maybe hundreds, of metas. Some people are fast. And, recently we've seen a big uptick in participants (especially here), resulting in even more of a "bell curve" of solvers, meaning there are even more fast (and slow!) people now than before.

More importantly, don't let it get to you. (I'm still in the dark about this one too.)
I have what I am quite sure is the answer. A hasty solution could be a near miss.
I am a man of few...
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

Like several others, I've been with Isaac (in spirit-s) for the last two weeks. After a couple of missteps, and an Easter rabbit hole, have emerged with yummy sandwich in hand. So count me among the solvers, Robert.

And a thought for all you Muggles sent to me by a friend:

I put a bottle of wine in every room in the house. Now I'm going to dress up and go bar hopping🍷😁

Stay safe everyone.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

DrTom wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:29 am
Patty wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:22 am Ashore!

I am quite confident this was posted previously...but since I have just read the article about our group I figured there may be others out there who hadn't seen it yet. In case you missed it: https://www.wsjplus.com/articles/meet-the-muggles
Thanks Patty. I had heard of an article and actually think I saw a different one? This was new to me and very enjoyable because it gave me more info on my favorite group! Who'd have thought a bunch of "word nerds" would end up in their own WSJ article.
There were two articles that came out together, one on the WSJ and one on WSJ+ that Patty referenced.

The first article by Matt can be found at https://www.wsj.com/articles/fried-brai ... ge=1&pos=1
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
TPS

Post by TPS »

Bulls****** wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:22 am
I have what I am quite sure is the answer. A hasty solution could be a near miss.
I know what you are talking about - because I almost fell into that trap but most of the fast people on here have done lots of MG puzzles so they won't have made that mistake.
Rad26

Post by Rad26 »

Ashore. Belated Chag pesach Sameach and Happy Easter to all. Stay safe.
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

CallMeShane wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:46 am Done.

And with time on my hand, I devote myself to that most sublime of all literary sub-genres. I give you ... Spam haiku

stomach rumbles now
eat cans of pink greasy Spam
bowels grumble later
Not much in it
we love Spam glorious Spam
Not haute cuisine
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

DrTom wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:22 am
CallMeShane wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:46 am Done.

And with time on my hand, I devote myself to that most sublime of all literary sub-genres. I give you ... Spam haiku

stomach rumbles now
eat cans of pink greasy Spam
bowels grumble later
I'm sure most everyone has seen this, but it cracked me up:
SPAM.jpg
There is rumored to be some fruitcake around, as well!
Cheers!!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Our early Friday report so I can tune up the snow blower for the summer

We have a couple of new muggles this week ladybyrd and Dow Jones

We have 2 on the ship and 75 on the shore. For new people do not be intimidated with all those on the shore - keep plugging.

And for Dow Jones or any other brilliant person, can you explain to me why the market is going up when unemployment is skyrocketing and multiple industries (airlines, restaurants, motels, energy, vacations) are on the ropes. My financial advisor does not understand it but I am sure a brilliant muggle can explain it.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Tony S

Post by Tony S »

Ashore after swimming in the wrong current for a bit. Solved before having breakfast --- I really want one of those sandwiches now but maybe I won't be so hungry after my bowl of oatmeal with dried cherries.
KayW

Post by KayW »

On shore. And hungry. I hesitate to say too much more for fear of spoilers, but I have not enjoyed this particular item before. I'm debating with myself whether it's worth risking an excursion to correct that...

And thank you to Joe Ross and spotter for the new and improved grid approach!

forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=135&start=100#p17360

I did not solve this meta as quickly as many others seemed to. Reworking the puzzle usually helps me, and this template made that much easier to do.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Jkj

Post by Jkj »

Major rabbit hole last week but rebounded this week. On shore.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Got a big tip from a friend... I would probably never gotten this without the tip, so while I got the answer I won't be submitting.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:02 am And for Dow Jones or any other brilliant person, can you explain to me why the market is going up when unemployment is skyrocketing and multiple industries (airlines, restaurants, motels, energy, vacations) are on the ropes. My financial advisor does not understand it but I am sure a brilliant muggle can explain it.
Tough meta that one.