"Between Meals" - April 10, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
dmorack

Post by dmorack »

Ashore. Loved this one, Matt! Let Isaac pour your favorite drink to enjoy on the shore, all!
-Doug Morack
spotter

Post by spotter »

Count me on shore!
Bill S

Post by Bill S »

On shore, bemasked and begloved.
Geezer Weezer

Post by Geezer Weezer »

I'm guessing that some of the early solvers are not correct...
I am a man of few...
juliet

Post by juliet »

I'm in line, with six feet between muggles, waiting for a seat in the next boat to shore.

This was such a cute meta puzzle!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Bulls****** wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:54 pm I'm guessing that some of the early solvers are not correct...
What makes you think that?
TPS

Post by TPS »

FrankieHeck wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:13 pm It's supposed to be fun, not to make your blood pressure skyrocket.
I used to love crosswords - and I used to love the WSJ puzzle - been doing it almost everyday for years. It was this site that sorta ruined them for me. Once I discovered that the Friday puzzle had a meta puzzle - I used to give them 15-30 minutes and give up and then see the answer on Monday and say -o.k. well thats good - literally only an insane person with like Asperger's would 1. Create that 2. Solve that. But then one fateful day I clicked on the link to this place and saw that people actually do solve these and they are pretty normal people. Thus the type "A" in me forces me now to spend my whole weekend agonizing on this and unfortunately I just can not do them and that is slowly driving me insane. So while I love the people of this site - almost all of which have been super nice and helpful - the site was the catalyst for my misery!
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

oldjudge wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:58 pm C73211D9-1598-4CAD-B520-31C042DD323A.jpeg
My greyhound just sat up at attention, then went back to sleep!

Cheers!!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

TPS wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:15 pm
FrankieHeck wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:13 pm It's supposed to be fun, not to make your blood pressure skyrocket.
I used to love crosswords - and I used to love the WSJ puzzle - been doing it almost everyday for years. It was this site that sorta ruined them for me. Once I discovered that the Friday puzzle had a meta puzzle - I used to give them 15-30 minutes and give up and then see the answer on Monday and say -o.k. well thats good - literally only an insane person with like Asperger's would 1. Create that 2. Solve that. But then one fateful day I clicked on the link to this place and saw that people actually do solve these and they are pretty normal people. Thus the type "A" in me forces me now to spend my whole weekend agonizing on this and unfortunately I just can not do them and that is slowly driving me insane. So while I love the people of this site - almost all of which have been super nice and helpful - the site was the catalyst for my misery!
Well, my husband runs marathons, and I think only insane people would do that. I've tried to run, but I haven't been able to run more than 3 miles at a time. Mostly because I don't feel like training. Maybe partly because my body just won't do that. Also I kind of hate running. I want to like it, but I don't. Even though I feel really good after I run three miles. Now honestly I thought I could wrap this up by drawing some cool parallels, but I think I'll just stop because I'm no longer sure what my point is. Maybe that not everybody is good at the same thing or enjoys the same thing? But if we really devoted ourselves to training, I bet we'd both get a lot better! (I don't know about you, but I'm not doing that haha)
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Oh no! We’re supposed to be a supportive group. When I first attempted these I was abysmal at them. You keep learning from past puzzles, get to know the constructor, and look for their mechanisms. It’s a learning curve. Don’t give up!
Heidi
TPS

Post by TPS »

OMG - I think I am Onshore. One thing bothers me but I definitely got a sandwich.
JennyByrd

Post by JennyByrd »

Happy to say that I solved my first Friday puzzle. Does that mean I’m on the Beach?
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

ladybyrd wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:27 pm Happy to say that I solved my first Friday puzzle. Does that mean I’m on the Beach?
Congratulations. You are on the beach. To see where all our funny terms come from look at Come Aboard/FAQ-Community/Muggle Overview and The Kas Scale and Being Pageanted plus some of the other hints for solving contests
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Hector wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:21 pm Cool! Just so y'all can keep busy, is the star rating system not working on this puzzle, or is there a no-show period before it displays the average rating, or what?
I haven't been seeing it for a few weeks on my desktop, even when I vote. Shows up fine on my phone. I haven't been able to figure it out.
burak

Post by burak »

Ashore! While solving, it felt like it was gonna take me some time but post-solve I noticed something and it unraveled quite fast. Nice one, I liked it.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

TPS wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:26 pm OMG - I think I am Onshore. One thing bothers me but I definitely got a sandwich.
Post enlightenment!
Heidi
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

TPS wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:26 pm OMG - I think I am Onshore. One thing bothers me but I definitely got a sandwich.
Now get a drink and go back and have a good laugh at all your previous posts. Like the little engine that could.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
LesY

Post by LesY »

damefox wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:42 pm Ashore! Also hungry.
Damefox, I just received your Inkubator crossword - congratulations! Can’t wait to solve it!
TMart

Post by TMart »

and they are pretty normal people.
Whatever gave you that idea? :D
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Solved! A two-fer: meta and tomorrow’s menu. Thanks for the suggestion, Matt. Good one. 🙋‍♀️