"Look Inside" - April, 3, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:56 am
Lauderdale59 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:19 am I covet that $12 mug like it was The Grail.
We should change Bob's title from Cruise Director to The Enchanter

Bob, The Enchanter.gif

Instead of reaching the shore, we'll have crossed The Bridge of Peril
There are some who call him...Tim.
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:56 am
Lauderdale59 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:19 am I covet that $12 mug like it was The Grail.
We should change Bob's title from Cruise Director to The Enchanter

Bob, The Enchanter.gif

Instead of reaching the shore, we'll have crossed The Bridge of Peril
Have you completed the grrrrrid?
Have you solved the meta?
What's your favorite drink?
Last edited by MarkL on Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
Hector

Post by Hector »

Print it out.
UTHfan

Post by UTHfan »

ugh, not my best performance this week. I'm on the boat, looking inside or whatever. I guess I'll just wait for the reveal for the second week in a row.
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Still got nothin'. Or too much of somethin'. One rabbit hole led to 13 items, another five, a third two. Can't figure out how to get to 11 with any of them.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:38 am Good Sunday morning muggles.

We have our newest muggles - Lauderdale59, bradisbrad, Sisoop and Schmeel (from Israel - greetings and let me know what you and Brian said in Hebrew).

The Hebrew was merely an exchange of social niceties in context.
Use Google Translate -
https://www.google.com/search?q=google+ ... e&ie=UTF-8
I wouldn't use it to translate a full academic article, but for a couple of sentences Google Translate does the trick. (I checked before I posted just to make sure it does :D)
Geezer Weezer

Post by Geezer Weezer »

I haven't even found the ocean, much less the boat.
I am a man of few...
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

I'd wave the white flag, but it's been repurposed as a face mask. I'm exhausted from chasing bunnies - and whatever be that elusive 11-lettered beast - and will retreat to the couch to lick my wounded ego. I'm afraid I'm "outside, looking in" on this one, with little hope of inspiration in the coming hours. Best wishes to all; please continue to take care of yourselves and one another.
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

I'm afraid I'm just not going to get around to my favorite crossword puzzle this weekend. I haven't even had time to read everyone's posts since Thursday, which always makes me smile (and often laugh out loud). I learned earlier this week that one of my dearest friends since college days has been diagnosed with inoperable metastatic cancer. Her prognosis is not good, but she is going to undergo chemo and hope for the best. I have been trying to get in touch with all of our mutual friends and still have quite a few more to reach, so that is at the top of my agenda for now. Hope to be back on board next week - better yet back ON SHORE!
Sara
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Schmeel wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:07 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:38 am Good Sunday morning muggles.

We have our newest muggles - Lauderdale59, bradisbrad, Sisoop and Schmeel (from Israel - greetings and let me know what you and Brian said in Hebrew).
That is cool. Feel free to post in Hebrew at any time. We are all here to learn.

Stay safe. I am showing 8,430 cases and 49 deaths in Israel due to the coronavirus

The Hebrew was merely an exchange of social niceties in context.
Use Google Translate -
https://www.google.com/search?q=google+ ... e&ie=UTF-8
I wouldn't use it to translate a full academic article, but for a couple of sentences Google Translate does the trick. (I checked before I posted just to make sure it does :D)
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Hidden in 3D wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:30 pm I'm afraid I'm just not going to get around to my favorite crossword puzzle this weekend. I haven't even had time to read everyone's posts since Thursday, which always makes me smile (and often laugh out loud). I learned earlier this week that one of my dearest friends since college days has been diagnosed with inoperable metastatic cancer. Her prognosis is not good, but she is going to undergo chemo and hope for the best. I have been trying to get in touch with all of our mutual friends and still have quite a few more to reach, so that is at the top of my agenda for now. Hope to be back on board next week - better yet back ON SHORE!
Ouch!! Sorry to hear that. Care to your friends. The metas will be here when she recovers.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
laurareidsbooks

Post by laurareidsbooks »

With 3 sets of eyes on this one, my mom, brother, and I are completely fed up with this puzzle, yet we can't give up and wait until the answer is posted tonight. Would anyone be willing to give us a nudge toward the right answer?? I'll be waiting desperately in the PMs. Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: ON SHORE! Many thanks to the 7 Muggles who gave me nudges with varying degrees of help. I do recall the one time I saw one like this that many are referencing. Now that this thorn in my side is done, it's time I finish up digging out bricks / tilling the backyard garden with the hubs.
Last edited by laurareidsbooks on Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

UTHfan wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:43 pm ugh, not my best performance this week. I'm on the boat, looking inside or whatever. I guess I'll just wait for the reveal for the second week in a row.
You and others who are new the past two weeks walked into two of the hardest ones we have had. This will be a Kas 5 for a lot of folks. Hang in there. They won't be this bad every week - we hope. Maybe Mike and Matt are making them more challenging since we are all home. But it is like being a high school baseball star and coming to the majors to face a Sandy Koufax curve the first week and a Nolan Ryan fast ball the next week.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
pookie

Post by pookie »

I didn't see MULTIMEDIA. I didn't get MONOTONOUS. I didn't even have the wherewithal to get through the explanation of the answer. (I've read more interesting insurance policies) Zzzzz.
I cannot , and probably will not ever get this week's answer. The title, for me, gives me no hint where to start.
Best of luck to you all in winning a mug. (sigh)
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

pookie wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:44 pm I didn't see MULTIMEDIA. I didn't get MONOTONOUS. I didn't even have the wherewithal to get through the explanation of the answer. (I've read more interesting insurance policies) Zzzzz.
I cannot , and probably will not ever get this week's answer. The title, for me, gives me no hint where to start.
Best of luck to you all in winning a mug. (sigh)
You have disabled private message receipt somehow. Check your profile
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Joe Ross wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:53 pm
MajordomoTom wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:52 pm bring forth the holy hand grenade of Antioch!
Skip a bit, Brother Maynard...
blown to bits
In thy Mercy
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
burak

Post by burak »

Ashore!

Very nice and tidy meta, loved it.

This was a quick solve for me as I figured out the answer before I finished the puzzle itself, but it just shows that familiarity is of utmost importance for tackling meta puzzles. If I were doing this a couple of years ago as a rookie, I'd have spent *at least* a solid hour on it.
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Hidden in 3D wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:30 pm I'm afraid I'm just not going to get around to my favorite crossword puzzle this weekend. I haven't even had time to read everyone's posts since Thursday, which always makes me smile (and often laugh out loud). I learned earlier this week that one of my dearest friends since college days has been diagnosed with inoperable metastatic cancer. Her prognosis is not good, but she is going to undergo chemo and hope for the best. I have been trying to get in touch with all of our mutual friends and still have quite a few more to reach, so that is at the top of my agenda for now. Hope to be back on board next week - better yet back ON SHORE!
Hang in there! Family & friends come first.
TPS

Post by TPS »

burak wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:52 pm
This was a quick solve for me as I figured out the answer before I finished the puzzle itself, but it just shows that familiarity is of utmost importance for tackling meta puzzles. If I were doing this a couple of years ago as a rookie, I'd have spent *at least* a solid hour on it.
As a relative noob I would say last week's puzzle was easy to find the methodology but still tricky and difficult to solve even once you had the methodology. This week the methodology is harder to find but once you have it you are basically done. Plus this week the answer is definitely more elegant and a better fit with the title than last week.
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

MajordomoTom wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:52 pm
Joe Ross wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:53 pm
MajordomoTom wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:52 pm bring forth the holy hand grenade of Antioch!
Skip a bit, Brother Maynard...
blown to bits
In thy Mercy
And snuff lt.