"Look Inside" - April, 3, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Got it thanks to a cryptic hint. Although it took another hint to clue me in that it was a hint. Thanks, Cyber Friend.
Now to hit the beach. Either that or lash myself to the mainmast as punishment for not remembering I had seen this method before.
Thanks Mike!
๐ŸŽถ๐ŸŽตHappy Birthday to Us๐ŸŽถ
TPS

Post by TPS »

Joe Ross wrote: โ†‘Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:53 pm
MajordomoTom wrote: โ†‘Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:52 pm bring forth the holy hand grenade of Antioch!
Skip a bit, Brother Maynard...
Well I can't just call you "man"
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

I am on shore, but I had to arrive via...

usns-mercy.jpg
I'm not talking about a million years. I'm talking about the time since the Big Bang, I never would have got that on my own.
LaceyK

Post by LaceyK »

Still quite lost on the ship. I also have had trouble solving these metas since staying at home. I guess the excess of MULTIMEDIA is too MONOTONOUS for my creativity. But this week's letter count goes to eleven...
RDaleHall

Post by RDaleHall »

Lots of staring Seem to have some ideas. But just not coming together as of yet
Sisoop

Post by Sisoop »

Extremely stuck! Could use a little nudge.
David R

Post by David R »

Whelp I sent in the MGWCC solution to the WSJ at lunch on Friday in the middle of work while being distracted. Realized what I did only late Friday night when my name didn't pop up. Solved the WSJ one today and sent in a second answer, I wonder if that is a first. ๐Ÿ˜ณ
yourpalsal

Post by yourpalsal »

Bird Lives wrote: โ†‘Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:25 am Still on the ship. Right off the bat I saw something that has to be part of the solution. But the fog has rolled in, and I canโ€™t find the other parts.
Thatโ€™s exactly how I feel and I have been staring at this thing all weekend. Starting to doubt that I know anything at all. So frustrated.

Isaac, take the night off. โ€œLloyd, you keep setting โ€˜em up and Iโ€™ll keep knockin em down!โ€
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Ashore.
More like standing in deep water, toes touching sand, nostrils just above the waterline.
Hoping this is high tide.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

yourpalsal wrote: โ†‘Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:44 am
Bird Lives wrote: โ†‘Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:25 am Still on the ship. Right off the bat I saw something that has to be part of the solution. But the fog has rolled in, and I canโ€™t find the other parts.
Thatโ€™s exactly how I feel and I have been staring at this thing all weekend. Starting to doubt that I know anything at all. So frustrated.

Isaac, take the night off. โ€œLloyd, you keep setting โ€˜em up and Iโ€™ll keep knockin em down!โ€
What is that thing in your avatar?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
CallMeShane

Post by CallMeShane »

I've been hanging out with Julie McCoy.

Ever since she got the sack from the Princess Lines and was replaced by He Whose Name Must Never Be Spoken, she has been Isaacs B Girl. Spends her weekends chatting up old dudes in the slough of despond due to the current meta. Cadges drinks. The bill and bottle say Bushmills, but I doubt the drink has ever seen Ireland. I suspect Bombay - the bottle should be labeled Earl Grey in Sanskrit.

I got nothing. On to next week.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Bob cruise director wrote: โ†‘Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:49 am
yourpalsal wrote: โ†‘Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:44 am

What is that thing in your avatar?
a. a tool for drinking from very high kegs
b. an ear trumpet being used by a neophyte
c. the world's longest shofar

I guess the only way to find out is to Look Inside.
Last edited by Bird Lives on Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay
DennyB

Post by DennyB »

Bob, Count me โ€œon shoreโ€ with a coco-loco drink with a straw through my facemask :D
Lauderdale59

Post by Lauderdale59 »

Experienced zookeepers, to help stimulate the brains of confined primates, will often serve their meals inside a puzzle box. To Mike Shenk, cruise director Bob Stevens, and all the other Puzzle Makers and Puzzle Masters that bring us this weekly challenge: thank you on behalf of myself and all the other bored, caged primates. Pay no attention to our frequent cries of pain. The more cunning and diabolical the test, the greater the satisfaction. I covet that $12 mug like it was The Grail.
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

I got nothing.
Iโ€™ve chased so many rabbits that they donโ€™t even run from me now. They just sit and mock me.
Konnie
TPS

Post by TPS »

Lauderdale59 wrote: โ†‘Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:19 am I covet that $12 mug like it was The Grail.
When you get your mug will you use it or will it sit on your mantel as a monument to your achievement?
Inca

Post by Inca »

I'm feeling I should see this one...but nada. Feeling very frustrated. I am very distracted with all that's going on around me; maybe that's affecting me.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday morning muggles.

We have our newest muggles - Lauderdale59, bradisbrad, Sisoop and Schmeel (from Israel - greetings and let me know what you and Brian said in Hebrew)

Progress has been slow and stumbling for a lot of us. Some making it to shore and some still keeping Isaac company.

We have 23 on the ship and 65 on the shore - both indicative of the challenges of the Mike Shenk contes. And I echo Lauderdale's comment about making them challenging especially while we are sequestered.

I hope this is over soon - we have resorted to taking inventory of the two small chest freezers and the freezer above the refrigerator (only 3 unknown frozen quarts of something - quite old). On to the sock drawers soon

Emerging to keep Isaac company on the ship are
Susan G
LaceyK
yourpalsal
RDaleHall
CallMeShane
and Sisoop

Deciphering this challenge from Mike and at the tiki bar are:

streroto
jag
Schmeel
Mark L
Moi
MaineMarge
David R
tim1217
Commodore
DennyB
and Dennis

Good luck to all and stay safe
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Lauderdale59 wrote: โ†‘Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:19 am I covet that $12 mug like it was The Grail.
We should change Bob's title from Cruise Director to The Enchanter
Bob, The Enchanter.gif

Instead of reaching the shore, we'll have crossed The Bridge of Peril
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
jawinks

Post by jawinks »

Well Iโ€™ve been working on this for a while with a strategy but no solution in sight. If someone wanted to message me to for a nudge Iโ€™d appreciate it.