My first stab at a meta crossword

Puzzles created by members of Xword-Muggles.com. Here you can post links to puzzles of any kind that you created - crosswords (meta or non-meta), cryptic, variety, word search, number puzzles, riddles, brainteasers and anything else.
LesY

Post by LesY »

Great puzzle, Brian! A week 1.5 in my book.

I thought the grid was very solid, too. Didn’t notice that many 3-letter words. I did wonder if you could have changed something related to 67A and avoided the backsolve. (Kudos to anyone who didn’t have to do that) That said, I haven’t been able to think of a better option. And I enjoyed the research I needed to complete it.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Cindy wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:18 pm
Cindy wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:17 pm
BrianMac wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:15 pm

Hmmm. What app are you using? It works for me with Puzzazz on my phone and iPad.
I have puzAzz. It when I click the link it asks if I want to download. When I try, nothing happens.
Got it. Twelve step process. Lol.
Did you recently upgrade iOS? They changed the process and made it much more cumbersome. They also started leaving copies of the downloaded files on your device or iCloud account (depending on your settings) to clutter things up unless you remember to find and delete them.
TMart

Post by TMart »

This was great - thanks, Brian!
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

Thanks Brian.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Brian, I hope you stay bored and keep making metas. ;)

It'll be fun to track your progress.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Nice
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Thanks to everyone who solved my puzzle and took the time to give feedback. Thanks also to Joe Ross for the Excel spreadsheet treatment!

The solution was CONNECTION. Everyone who PM'ed me got it correct, so there's probably no need to explain, but the answer was achieved by taking the initials of a celebrity associated with each of the theme answers:

LATE NIGHT: Conan O'Brien
CAPE FEAR: Nick Nolte (required a little backsolving or trial-and-error since Robert DeNiro and Martin Scorsese would also fit the bill)
COCAINE: Eric Clapton
SPARTANS: Tom Izzo (basketball coach of the Michigan State Spartans - a bit of constructor bias here as I did not consider that everyone is not a basketball fan from Michigan like me)
THE HUNTER: Ogden Nash (a rather obscure poem, for some reason not very Google-able, but everyone was able to backsolve to it)

As I mentioned, I kind of threw this puzzle together, and I suspect that a little more time spent brainstorming / researching would have turned up more solid theme answers which would not have required so much backsolving. Many of the comments made me realize how critical it is that the meta-mechanism be super-tight. It makes me really appreciate the people who are able to create these puzzles week after week.

I am working on another puzzle that I will post in this thread shortly. I think it's a lot tighter and should not require backsolving. Thanks again!! :)
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

BrianMac wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:42 pm
I am working on another puzzle that I will post in this thread shortly. I think it's a lot tighter and should not require backsolving. Thanks again!! :)
Oooh! I can't wait!
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Ok, this puzzle is called "Original Game" and the answer is an 8-letter phrase that is something you might play for.

This one should be a little trickier than the previous one, but nowhere near an MGWCC Week 4 (I hope).

As before, you can PM me the answer if you are so inclined.

Enjoy and good luck (even though there is no prize :))

forums/Original Game.puz

forums/Original Game.pdf
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

BrianMac wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:33 pm Ok, this puzzle is called "Original Game" and the answer is an 8-letter phrase that is something you might play for.
20200329 BrianMac Original Game Excel blank.xlxs
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Oh nooooo....I see numbers in the new puzzle! I look forward to getting to this one after the MGWCC deadline has passed...not sure I can deal with another one on top of that right now. Thank you!
Abide

Post by Abide »

Step one done and...out of gas. Will sleep on it!
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

This was excellent!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Is it just me or are there only five numbers in parentheses.
Abide

Post by Abide »

It’s not just you :D :D :D
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
boharr

Post by boharr »

What is the deadline for solving Original Game?

I saw the first one late. Then scrolled to far and revealed the solution!
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

boharr wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:53 pm What is the deadline for solving Original Game?

I saw the first one late. Then scrolled to far and revealed the solution!
Sorry about that Bob! I waited until a couple days went by with no replies, and then I posted the solution. I didn't really think about a deadline since I'm really just goofing around. But to prevent anyone else from being spoiled, I will not post the answer to this one before next Sunday at noon.

Thanks for your interest!
Hector

Post by Hector »

Impressive construction. Thanks!
KayW

Post by KayW »

BrianMac wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:42 pm Thanks to everyone who solved my puzzle and took the time to give feedback. Thanks also to Joe Ross for the Excel spreadsheet treatment!

The solution was CONNECTION. Everyone who PM'ed me got it correct, so there's probably no need to explain, but the answer was achieved by taking the initials of a celebrity associated with each of the theme answers:

LATE NIGHT: Conan O'Brien
CAPE FEAR: Nick Nolte (required a little backsolving or trial-and-error since Robert DeNiro and Martin Scorsese would also fit the bill)
COCAINE: Eric Clapton
SPARTANS: Tom Izzo (basketball coach of the Michigan State Spartans - a bit of constructor bias here as I did not consider that everyone is not a basketball fan from Michigan like me)
THE HUNTER: Ogden Nash (a rather obscure poem, for some reason not very Google-able, but everyone was able to backsolve to it)

As I mentioned, I kind of threw this puzzle together, and I suspect that a little more time spent brainstorming / researching would have turned up more solid theme answers which would not have required so much backsolving. Many of the comments made me realize how critical it is that the meta-mechanism be super-tight. It makes me really appreciate the people who are able to create these puzzles week after week.

Fabulous puzzle Brian! I tried solving this one and got the CO/(RD,NN,MS)/EC.... and then faded fast. No habla basketball or Nash, so I came here to cry uncle. And to say that based on the theme answers the meta answer might well have been MULTIMEDIA. :? Too soon?

I will give your next puzzle a try once the deadline for MGWCC is passed so I can quit pretending to be trying to solve that one.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
boharr

Post by boharr »

I did the grid for Original Game and now I’m LAS. Must be that numbers curse.

I hope we can get Isaac some overtime for keeping the bar open during the week.