"What Not To Do" - March 27, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
estiek1993

Post by estiek1993 »

I'm new to the WSJ puzzle game, and just started completing them last week. Got last week's contest correct, but this one is really confusing me. i need a nudge!!
flyingMoose

Post by flyingMoose »

Just submitted my answer.

I can almost, nearly semi-justify it maybe. At a minimum, I hope to give someone in the halls of WSJ, er, the halls of their apartment, a good laugh.
Last edited by flyingMoose on Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carla

Post by Carla »

Still on the ship...willing to take a nudge or two..I have a mechanism but more than 10 letters so maybe I am deep down a rabbit hole.
NuYear68

Post by NuYear68 »

Stuck aboard the ship, running a big tab with Isaac.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

MarkL wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:42 pm
matthewmoravec wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:10 pm On shore with a 10 letter word I can defend as being legitimate, but we'll see... "Three measures of Gordon's, one of vodka, half a measure of elderberry extract. This drink's my own antiviral invention. I'm going to patent it when I can think of a good name."
Python Cure
Perfect, Mark!
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

flyingMoose wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:57 pm Just submitted my answer.

I can almost, nearly semi-justify it. At a minimum, I hope to give someone in the halls of WSJ, er, the halls of their apartment, a good laugh.
Moose
They will be getting a lot of Hail Mary's this week. Mike Miller usually mentions some of the more common ones. And the comments tomorrow should be great
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

estiek1993 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:56 pm I'm new to the WSJ puzzle game, and just started completing them last week. Got last week's contest correct, but this one is really confusing me. i need a nudge!!
Under any circumstances, welcome to the group. This week is confusing to a lot of us so don't get discouraged. Look at the comments here tomorrow to see the various rabbit holes that many of us went down. You are not alone in your confusion and some of us definitely went down the same wrong paths.

You should be getting nudges from others who are more enlightened in PM's.

Again, welcome.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Olaf wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:38 pm On the ship still. I have a stab in the dark answer, that I’ll submit. I can’t quite justify getting from point a to point b in my answer. I think this will be one of those I should have gotten, but didn’t.
Check out the KAS scale at Come Aboard/FAQ's Community/KAS scale. It came about because we were all in the same boat that you are in at one time or another.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

For the record, feeling much better about the correctness of the playa upon which I alighted.

Time for an Abita Turbo Dog!

Stay safe, but have some fun!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

I’ve got nuthin’
juliet

Post by juliet »

I've gone in so many directions on this one that I have no idea where I am. . . count me wandering aimlessly around the ship looking for the bar, or my cabin, whatever I stumble across first.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

yourpalsal wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:07 pm
MajordomoTom wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:40 pm
yourpalsal wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:25 pm Speaking of ships, do we have any fellow enthusiasts on this board for the AUBREY-MATURIN novels? It’s a prodigious time to embark upon another voyage through one of the greatest and most colorful friendships in literature. This is the 21-novel tale upon which the film Master & Commander was based.
I've read those novels some 4 or 5 or 6 times through, they are highly recommended.

I'm about to finish the Hornblower series for the first time, and strongly preferred Aubrey/Maturin.
Agreed re Hornblower novels, which I read as a kid. The Aubrey-Maturin novels by Patrick O’Brian combine high seas adventure with the character brilliance of Jane Austen. A unique blend that will surely appeal to members of this group.
just finished the 11th of the Hornblower books.

Here's my conclusion about the two series:

Aubrey/Maturin - much more about the economic and historical setting of England during those times and comments about society and the roles of men & women - yes, Jane Austen for men. Fantastic side stories about stock market rigging, tin/silver mining, issues dealing with Catholicism vs the Anglican church, Irish/Catalon independence (both still an issue today), etc.

Hornblower - sadly, for all the promise, the "action" is not as good as Aubrey/Maturin, and instead of the "Jane Austen" aspects of the A/M novels, the novels are full of his internal self-esteem issues and worries. So it's "Catcher in the Rye on the High Seas", or "Hunger Games on a Ship" (particularly the 2nd of those books, which was interminable to finish, and spent almost entirely inside the head of a young teen girl, which is just a painful place to spend a few hours, much less 300 or so page).

I don't know that I'll re-read Hornblower/Forester. I do have my next from him - African Queen - and if it's anything close to the great movie, I know it won't be filled in angst inside the head of the male lead (HAHAHAHA).

But the 11 Hornblower books - are probably going to spend 5 years on my shelf before I pick them up again. Which might be to donate them.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

and, back on topic, wife and I are on two separate shores on this one.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

MajordomoTom wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:06 pm and, back on topic, wife and I are on two separate shores on this one.
So we have a muggle entry and a nonmuggle entry?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

BC is behind by 4, Flutie drops back and spots Phelen in the endzone and throws a Hail Mary and.....

We will see tomorrow the result

By the way, look up and see the coach for the Hurricanes that day.

Progress to the shore has pretty much come to a halt and the only thing left are Hail Mary's. My avatar is the closest I will come to seeing the beach and that is in Australia

And we welcome our newest muggle: estiek1993

Final count is 29 on the ship and 88 on the shore. A lot of Hail Mary's are on the ship and others are on the shore

Our new ship contingent is
NuYear68
Carla
Olaf
estiek1993
higgysue
and Juliet

Making their way to the shore are (or in some cases they were there all along)
Heidi
Homer
Frankie
Kay
Patty
Matthew M
tonyrobots
flyingMoose
and MajorDomotom - whose wife entered a different answer - go Mrs. Major

Good luck to all and hopefully a few of the Hail Mary's will come down in bounds
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Im calling it a day (okay it took me 3 days and 2 nudges). I’m on my way to A shore. Hope it’s the right one!
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

New to forum!
Newish to WSJCC :-) this year
Love comparing answers with my dad

Think I’m 75% there but need a nudge!
Ann

Post by Ann »

Well, I have a part of something that’s led me to an answer that I can kind of justify but not quite ready to send it in.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

I would like to lead the round of applause for, and offer up a full bottle of Excedrin to our tireless cruise director. May he sleep well tonight after trying all day to nail down the actual location of so many of us.
Muggles version of a Purple Heart coming at you, Bob. 👏🏻
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:27 pm
Olaf wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:38 pm On the ship still. I have a stab in the dark answer, that I’ll submit. I can’t quite justify getting from point a to point b in my answer. I think this will be one of those I should have gotten, but didn’t.
Check out the KAS scale at Come Aboard/FAQ's Community/KAS scale. It came about because we were all in the same boat that you are in at one time or another.
Yes - I couldn’t remember which lad number it was. In any event, I have nothing to submit. I need to work on my math - I realized that my proposed answer has 11 letters, not 10. 😬