My first stab at a meta crossword

Puzzles created by members of Xword-Muggles.com. Here you can post links to puzzles of any kind that you created - crosswords (meta or non-meta), cryptic, variety, word search, number puzzles, riddles, brainteasers and anything else.
BrianMac
Site Admin

My first stab at a meta crossword

Post by BrianMac »

Well the boredom finally started getting to me today, so I fired up the constructing software to try my hand at a meta puzzle. It normally takes me a week or so to construct a puzzle that I think is worth submitting anywhere, but I blew through this from the theme, to the construction, to the cluing in just a few hours. It is rife with inelegance - too many three-letter-words, abbreviations, crosswordese - so I hope you will forgive that. I would say it's on the easy side of a MGWCC week 1, so it won't really tide you over until Thursday. Nonetheless, I thought I would offer it up in case anyone is as bored as I am.

The answer to the meta is a 10-letter word that everyone could use these days. If you happen to take a stab at it, you can PM me the answer, but I'm afraid I don't have any prizes to offer. I hope you enjoy it.

forums/NameTags.puz

forums/NameTags.pdf
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Fun! Thanks!!

I did indeed have to backsolve 67A. 54A too, though that one was easier.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Thank you, Brian! A *THREE*-meta day!
Hector

Post by Hector »

Wow, that is awesome!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

submitted a guess
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

ok, what did you use to create your puzzle and the .puz file?

preferably an Android compatible app
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Impressive! Thanks for sharing!
LesY

Post by LesY »

MajordomoTom wrote: โ†‘Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:32 am ok, what did you use to create your puzzle and the .puz file?

+1 to this question - Brian, any Apple-compatible constructor software recommendations?

Look forward to solving the puzzle later today!
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

LesY wrote: โ†‘Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:19 am
MajordomoTom wrote: โ†‘Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:32 am ok, what did you use to create your puzzle and the .puz file?

+1 to this question - Brian, any Apple-compatible constructor software recommendations?

I use CrossFire, which can run on Windows or Mac. It is very user-friendly and not to expensive (around $50 I think). There is also Crossword Compiler, but I don't think that is available for Mac (at least it wasn't several years ago - perhaps it is now?). You can still run Crossword Compiler on a Mac, but you need to get special software that allows you to run Windows operating system on a Mac. That process is a little bit of a chore, but I was able to figure it out, so I'm sure you could too. Crossword Compiler seems more popular among "real" constructors, perhaps it's more powerful, but I find CrossFire more intuitive and fun to use.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
LesY

Post by LesY »

BrianMac wrote: โ†‘Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:34 am
LesY wrote: โ†‘Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:19 am

I use CrossFire, which can run on Windows or Mac. It is very user-friendly and not to expensive (around $50 I think). There is also Crossword Compiler, but I don't think that is available for Mac (at least it wasn't several years ago - perhaps it is now?). You can still run Crossword Compiler on a Mac, but you need to get special software that allows you to run Windows operating system on a Mac. That process is a little bit of a chore, but I was able to figure it out, so I'm sure you could too. Crossword Compiler seems more popular among "real" constructors, perhaps it's more powerful, but I find CrossFire more intuitive and fun to use.
Thanks, Brian! Peter (pgw) said the same thing re: Crossword Compiler. I'll investigate level of effort for that one; if I'm not up for the tech challenge I'll likely use CrossFire. Thanks again!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Very nice job! Looking forward to more of these... now that you've primed the pump.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

LesY wrote: โ†‘Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:02 amThanks, Brian! Peter (pgw) said the same thing re: Crossword Compiler. I'll investigate level of effort for that one; if I'm not up for the tech challenge I'll likely use CrossFire. Thanks again!
This is the software I bought: Parallels Desktop.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Very much enjoyed!

Admit, I havenโ€™t thoroughly backsolved for 67A yet.

Also, I havenโ€™t yet PMed anyone, so Iโ€™ll need to figure that out before I send you my answer. Iโ€™ll also have a question for you, that might be giving something away if I posted it here.

Hmm ... I suggest you stay bored. Weโ€™ll need more of your fun puzzles!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

and my guess was confirmed correct. Thanks - very entertaining. Now the madness begins - as all of us try our hand at constructing these.

:)
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

BrianMac wrote: โ†‘Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:28 pm Well the boredom finally started getting to me today, so I fired up the constructing software to try my hand at a meta puzzle. It normally takes me a week or so to construct a puzzle that I think is worth submitting anywhere, but I blew through this from the theme, to the construction, to the cluing in just a few hours. It is rife with inelegance - too many three-letter-words, abbreviations, crosswordese - so I hope you will forgive that. I would say it's on the easy side of a MGWCC week 1, so it won't really tide you over until Thursday. Nonetheless, I thought I would offer it up in case anyone is as bored as I am.

The answer to the meta is a 10-letter word that everyone could use these days. If you happen to take a stab at it, you can PM me the answer, but I'm afraid I don't have any prizes to offer. I hope you enjoy it.

forums/NameTags.puz
I cannot open it on my iPad. Any suggestions.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Cindy wrote: โ†‘Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:40 pm I cannot open it on my iPad. Any suggestions.
Hmmm. What app are you using? It works for me with Puzzazz on my phone and iPad.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

BrianMac wrote: โ†‘Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:15 pm
Cindy wrote: โ†‘Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:40 pm I cannot open it on my iPad. Any suggestions.
Hmmm. What app are you using? It works for me with Puzzazz on my phone and iPad.
I have puzAzz. It when I click the link it asks if I want to download. When I try, nothing happens.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Cindy wrote: โ†‘Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:17 pm
BrianMac wrote: โ†‘Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:15 pm
I have puzAzz. It when I click the link it asks if I want to download. When I try, nothing happens.
Got it. Twelve step process. Lol.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Cindy wrote: โ†‘Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:18 pm Got it. Twelve step process. Lol.
Great! I was worried I would have to change the clue to 45-Across. ;)

I've added a PDF to the original post for anyone else who's having problems with the .puz file.