"Factored Out" March 29, 2024

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Googly

Post by Googly »

minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Woke up this morning and swam ashore. Enjoying a cappuccino happily.
clonefitz

Post by clonefitz »

These guys are on a roll the last few weeks. I am standing on the beach looking back over the sea in amazement. I have a new record twelve-week solving streak going, but the last few have not been easy. The longer this streak goes, the greater my displeasure grows toward honkytonks and upright pianos, as the only blemish of 2024 so far.
ELSavage

Post by ELSavage »

Ashore!
I had an idea that I didn't have time to try out until this morning. Thankfully, not a rabbit hole!
Now back to my regularly (over)scheduled life...
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

REMINDER: Please be sure to "factor in" your schedule a visit to our Muggle Zoom Friday at 4:30 Eastern Time today. All are welcome to join in with other muggle friends to discuss this week's WSJ meta and any other issue that you would like to share.

Click on the Muggle Zoom Room Tab at the top of the page to enter. Hope to see you there!

Muggle Zoom Friday :)
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
dk letter

Post by dk letter »

Ashore! Wow what a truly impressive construction! And a very nice final click.
flepper

Post by flepper »

ship4u wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:09 am REMINDER: Please be sure to "factor in" your schedule a visit to our Muggle Zoom Friday at 4:30 Eastern Time today. All are welcome to join in with other muggle friends to discuss this week's WSJ meta and any other issue that you would like to share.

Click on the Muggle Zoom Room Tab at the top of the page to enter. Hope to see you there!

Muggle Zoom Friday :)
I'll definitely be joining, I couldn't find the discord group this week for some reason, and I am hopelessly adrift.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Finally on shore after trying what seemed to be N+1 of the N possible metanisms. It's probably too early for a Guinness but you're not the boss of me; I earned it. And whatever I earned for solving it, Mike Shenk earned so much more for constructing it.
Guffman

Post by Guffman »

Arrived on shore early this morning.

There was a time when metas consisted of 4 or 5 long across entries, each containing two words that bridged a third word, clearly related to the others.

Of course, I was a much younger rabbit then.
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

Ashore. Come on Mike. Take it easy on us.
Beleaguered Castle

Post by Beleaguered Castle »

Oooh.
Wait...umm.
Oooh!
Wait...

I got nuthin'
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Abide wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:56 pm An apropos mini-meta
Nice touch, brother...
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

Nudge confirmed that my first inclination was correct. And then a long swim to the beach! How do they build such a thing? Mojito sounds good tonight.
sheilaco

Post by sheilaco »

I have nothing yet. How do I join the discord group?
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Ashore with the tiniest of nudges. Had the right initial thought, but needed a bit of a redirect to pull it together. That, and a good night's sleep. Beer me!
Matthew
ajk

Post by ajk »

sheilaco wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:49 am I have nothing yet. How do I join the discord group?
Sent you a PM.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
JordanianTomlinson

Post by JordanianTomlinson »

Beleaguered Castle wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:22 pm
JordanianTomlinson wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:10 pm Super impressive puzzle though I have one question about the answer as it pertains to the wording of the question.
I think I noticed your issue. Not having solved yet, I'm not sure if it is a hint or a nit...

Still lost. Maybe I'll dream up something overnight.
Not intended to be a hint - more of a nit but very minor at that
Beleaguered Castle

Post by Beleaguered Castle »

JordanianTomlinson wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:16 am
Beleaguered Castle wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:22 pm
JordanianTomlinson wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:10 pm Super impressive puzzle though I have one question about the answer as it pertains to the wording of the question.
I think I noticed your issue. Not having solved yet, I'm not sure if it is a hint or a nit...

Still lost. Maybe I'll dream up something overnight.
Not intended to be a hint - more of a nit but very minor at that
Gotcha.

Still got nothing. It's not looking good for me...
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

🏝on shore🏝. Had the right idea but needed a little nudge to correctly navigate the real estate. Will have a G&T later on…
flepper

Post by flepper »

Ashore.