PCC#28 "Check the Sound Cord" (Mar. 23, 2024)

Welcome to Phil's Crossword Corner (PCC)! Philip Chow (aka Phil) is an auditor at NYC Dept of Parks and Recreation who makes crossword puzzles for fun in his free time. A new meta puzzle posts every other Saturday weekend on Crosshare.

Phil’s metas will usually include immediate nudges, a great tool for new solvers. You can reach him at pchow13@gmail.com
pchow13

PCC#28 "Check the Sound Cord" (Mar. 23, 2024)

Post by pchow13 »

Please see below for the latest puzzle PCC#28 - "Check the Sound Cord"

[Level 2] Meta prompt: The answer to the meta is one of my favorite computer games of all time (which appears on BuzzFeed's best PC games of the 90s here: https://www.buzzfeed.com/joshcorrea/best-90s-pc-games)

Many thanks to FrankieHeck and Abide for test-solving!

Note: the level is the intended difficulty I had in mind when I designed the puzzle, but may play differently since every solver has their own area of expertise... what one person may find easy, another may find difficult.

Have fun and keep in mind if you're ever lost at sea, google is your best friend (actually, I don't know if you'd get internet service in the middle of the ocean)
-Phil :mrgreen:

Links courtesy of Joe Ross (thank you as always for the tech support!)
crosshare
PUZ
PDF
spreadsheet

Nudges below:

Note: You may consult the list of computer games mentioned in prompt if you wanted to narrow down your options https://www.buzzfeed.com/joshcorrea/best-90s-pc-games

Hint #1: The answer is comprised of three words

Hint #2: 1-A, 33-A, 46-A, 72-A

Hint #3: The clue from 72-Across helps us parse the three sound checks: "B or R," "P or K," "F or K"

Hint #4: Apply the three sound checks to the three longest entries in the puzzle

Hint #5: Only the first words of the three longest entries are relevant

Hint #6: "Bowler Poster Typhoon" almost sounds like the answer to the meta... you'll need to change a letter sound in each of these words

Solution below - SPOILER ALERT:

Answer explanation: Answer explanation: The clue for CORD tells us to interpret that as "C" or "D"... apply the three sound checks (BORR, PORK, FORK) to the three longest answers: BOWLER --> ROLLER, POSTER --> COASTER, TYPHOON --> TYCOON... and so the meta answer is RollerCoaster Tycoon.

Constructor Notes: RollerCoaster Tycoon was released on March 22, 1999. I have such fond memories of playing it - spending hours designing theme parks, building roller coasters, adding scenery to the park, all that good stuff... Easter eggs in this puzzle include: "Excitement" in the clue for ADO, "Intensity" in the clue for LUX, "Nausea" in the clue for SARTRE... These are the three stats that are scored when you build a roller coaster. The game was designed by Chris SAWYER who coded the game almost entirely using Assembly language (which is insanely tough to do) and he was a one-man operation (only help he had was with graphics/rendering and music)!

Last edited by pchow13 on Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Nice one, @pchow13! Enjoyed it!
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Turned the corner --
Untitledzzzticker.png
(But only because of list provided. :) )
Thanks, Phil!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Turned the corner! Very clever! :D
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: Nudged around the corner (needed some help due to my utter ignorance of the topic). Clever metanism and fun to solve - thanks!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Berto

Post by Berto »

Solved! Needed half the hints to get there though! Thanks Phil!
rjy

Post by rjy »

Barely crossed the finish line, but nevertheless, a clever puzzle, Phil!
Ray
Darth

Post by Darth »

Turned the corner. Thanks!