#53 - "Where Does It End?"

Creative and challenging meta crosswords (currently on hiatus) from: www.pgwcc.net
Hector

#53 - "Where Does It End?"

Post by Hector »

The answer to the metapuzzle is a grid entry that could make a fifth theme entry - one the other four combine to hint at.
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

Answer submitted,....hopefully correct, but feels right (unless I missed something).
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Solved and submitted. Few things better than a two-meta day!
TMart

Post by TMart »

Solved. Still need to send it in.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Done and submitted.

On the grid, I needed to google only once.

I'm on to you, Peter G. Washington!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Sent it in. Hope for the best!
Heidi
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Seemed too easy. With PGW metas, that probably means that my answer is wrong unless he went easy on us this week.
Toby

Post by Toby »

Solved, and seems certain, so hoping for the best.
Hector

Post by Hector »

ky-mike wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:16 pm Seemed too easy. With PGW metas, that probably means that my answer is wrong unless he went easy on us this week.
The latter, I would guess, since the other four do "combine to hint at" the straightforward answer...
LesY

Post by LesY »

Fun solve. Echo the gratitude for a two-meta day.

Now what? Maybe I’ll try to create one - can anyone recommend good, reasonable crossword constructor software?
Meg

Post by Meg »

Well, I certainly made that more difficult than it was. Silly me. But now I have it.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
pgw

Post by pgw »

LesY wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:25 pm Fun solve. Echo the gratitude for a two-meta day.

Now what? Maybe I’ll try to create one - can anyone recommend good, reasonable crossword constructor software?
https://www.crossword-compiler.com/ordering.html
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Got it.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Enjoyed it! PGW is going a little easy on us since everything else in life is so frustrating right now :-)
LesY

Post by LesY »

pgw wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:42 pm
LesY wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:25 pm Fun solve. Echo the gratitude for a two-meta day.

Peter, thanks very much. The software looks amazing, but unfortunately we have Macs. Do you or others have any Apple-compatible recommendations? CrossFire and Cruciverbalist are touted by several websites. Thanks again!
pgw

Post by pgw »

LesY wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:17 am Peter, thanks very much. The software looks amazing, but unfortunately we have Macs. Do you or others have any Apple-compatible recommendations? CrossFire and Cruciverbalist are touted by several websites. Thanks again!
Ah, I can't help you there. Their faq has an explanation of how you can make it work on a mac:

https://www.crossword-compiler.com/crosswordFAQ.html

but it sounds like it might be a bit technically involved.
TMart

Post by TMart »

pgw wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:42 pm

I’ve used that software in my own futile attempts to create metas. I’ve got three or four half-completed ones - they usually stall when I finally come up with a good idea and the themers fit, but I can’t complete the fill, or it all fits perfectly but then the answer makes no sense. I highly recommend trying to create your own meta, because it really gives you an appreciation for just how difficult it is to do and how amazing it is that our excellent constructors can churn these monsters out week after week.
TPS

Post by TPS »

Anyone want to give me a nudge? I got the grid and I am not submitting - I have an idea what it but I highly doubt it is correct.
anjhinz

Post by anjhinz »

Got this one... Saturday morning sheltered in place, and no more metas to grind on. Going to be a long weekend!