"Light Switches" - May 17, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Conrad

Post by Conrad »

I am on shore.
Check out my meta crossword writeups on Crossword Fiend: https://crosswordfiend.com/author/conrad/
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Still at sea on the meta. With all the "wow, great puzzle!" comments here, I'll stick with it, waiting for the D'OH! moment.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

OMG, almost immediately after posting the "at sea" notice above, I saw the light. On shore!
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

On shore. Elegant and amazing construction.
Bill S

Post by Bill S »

Got it! On shore early this weekend.
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

On shore ... and, for the umpteenth consecutive week, awestruck. By the caliber of my "roommates" here, by the gymnastic ingenuity of Mike & Friends, and by the sheer fun that our mother tongue provides - week after blessed week.
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

On shore. My son is at a family graduation in St. Louis while I’m at a conference in Tucson. I had time to do it whereas he didn’t, but I’ll claim victory over him just the same!
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to use an iPhone photo as an aviator? The photo I am trying to upload is 9.4 KB, but the app here says it exceeds the 19 KB limit. Thanks for any advice—Jay
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

On shore! I hope Mike and Matt and cohorts are lurkers here so that they can see the delight and admiration their brilliant efforts give us all each week. You go, guys! Also Marie.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved. I didn’t get to it until this morning. I was busy last night at a fabulous dinner in NYC.
LesY

Post by LesY »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:13 pm OMG, almost immediately after posting the "at sea" notice above, I saw the light. On shore!
It's amazing how that happens. I had a similar experience with this one - no luck staring at it for 20 minutes after work - put it down to help figure out dinner for the kids - sat down on a comfortable couch to look at it again. And boom, immediately there it was!
KayW

Post by KayW »

I think I'm stuck on a sand bar somewhere offshore. I have an answer I can justify, but it doesn't seem worthy of Mike to me unless I somehow leapfrogged to the answer and am missing parts of the construction. Not very likely. So I'm going to swim back to the ship and hang with Isaac while I try very hard to ignore my dead-end rabbit hole and find a more elegant solution.

At least I have a dim bulb to submit on Sunday night if no other light bulbs go off before then.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
KayW

Post by KayW »

oldjudge wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:51 am Can anyone tell me if it is possible to use an iPhone photo as an aviator? The photo I am trying to upload is 9.4 KB, but the app here says it exceeds the 19 KB limit. Thanks for any advice—Jay
Have you tried putting it in airplane mode? (I am SO sorry for that. I think there was an auto-correct in your comment and I couldn't resist.)

Also sorry I don't know the answer to your question but there is a technical FAQS under the Come Aboard! forum where someone smarter might be able to help.
siri_shirley.png
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Count me on shore this morning! After doing the puzzle again in this morning's paper, I could not logically justify an answer apart from what I got yesterday.
Good luck to every one on winning the mug :-)
MaryCC

Post by MaryCC »

geeteebee wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 5:46 pm Done and done.

I always submit via the webform...I wonder if mug winners typically do the same or email.
I’ve wondered the same—I always submit via email
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

Not feeling this one. Am I making it too hard? I'll be with Isaac for the duration or until the lightbulb goes on!!!
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

KayW wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:53 am I think I'm stuck on a sand bar somewhere offshore. I have an answer I can justify, but it doesn't seem worthy of Mike to me unless I somehow leapfrogged to the answer and am missing parts of the construction. Not very likely. So I'm going to swim back to the ship and hang with Isaac while I try very hard to ignore my dead-end rabbit hole and find a more elegant solution.

At least I have a dim bulb to submit on Sunday night if no other light bulbs go off before then.
I'm with you on that same sandbar, KayW! To stretch the analogy, I found a lovely shell on the sandbar, but wonder if I don't have to dig into the sand a bit to find the sand dollar. Gonna sleep on it and see if anything better than my first find comes to the top.

Jennifer
~ Jennifer/jenirvin
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Done and done
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
Tony S

Post by Tony S »

For those who have solved the meta and are looking for a weekend challenge, the cryptic puzzle "Hex Signs" in the June issue of Harper's is a real gem. Solving cryptics remains my best training for cracking these metas.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Thanks for the advice Kay! Of course, you were right in the about the spell check monster. Someone should start a thread about the funniest spell check word switches. There would be some doozies.