Strands (new NYT daily now in beta)

A place to discuss regular (non-meta) crossword puzzles.
ajk

Strands (new NYT daily now in beta)

Post by ajk »

New NYT game called Strands is now out in beta: https://www.nytimes.com/games/strands

Anyone else doing these? It's basically a fancy wordsearch. I don't typically like those, but I'm continuing to do these. I think it's mostly that the user interface is fun. :lol:
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
woozy

Post by woozy »

That was fun. Took a while to get used to.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
hoover

Post by hoover »

I did my first one a few days ago after someone posted it in a different thread. I'm not quite sure how to read the stats graph, though.

Strands #6
“FRAGILE: handle with care”
🔵🔵🟡🔵
🔵🔵🔵🔵
KayW

Post by KayW »

Strands #7
“Sounds good to me”
🟡🔵🔵🔵
🔵🔵🔵
I believe the yellow is the SPANGRAM, the blues are the individual words. However, I notice it does NOT include non-word tries (I had two of those today before I hit the SPANGRAM)
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
hoover

Post by hoover »

KayW wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:06 pm Strands #7
“Sounds good to me”
🟡🔵🔵🔵
🔵🔵🔵
I believe the yellow is the SPANGRAM, the blues are the individual words. However, I notice it does NOT include non-word tries (I had two of those today before I hit the SPANGRAM)
Strands #7
“Sounds good to me”
🔵🟡🔵🔵
🔵🔵🔵

I think the placement of the yellow dot in the results corresponds to the order in which you found it. I'm guessing you found the SPANGRAM first, and I know that I found it second.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Strands #7
“Sounds good to me”
💡🔵💡🔵
🔵🔵🔵🔵
🟡
And the lightbulbs are hints. OK, so yesterday I didn’t really like it. Today was better.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Strands #7
“Sounds good to me”
💡🔵💡🔵
🔵🔵🟡🔵
🔵

Just tried it for the first time, and I liked it!
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
KayW

Post by KayW »

hoover wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:43 pm
KayW wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:06 pm Strands #7
“Sounds good to me”
🟡🔵🔵🔵
🔵🔵🔵
Strands #7
“Sounds good to me”
🔵🟡🔵🔵
🔵🔵🔵

I think the placement of the yellow dot in the results corresponds to the order in which you found it. I'm guessing you found the SPANGRAM first, and I know that I found it second.
Yep! Exactly.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
hoover

Post by hoover »

These may be a little too easy. Maybe good as a warmup to get the brain going with the first cup of coffee.

Strands #8
“To put it mildly”
🟡🔵🔵🔵
🔵🔵🔵🔵
KayW

Post by KayW »

Strands #8
“To put it mildly”
🟡🔵🔵🔵
🔵🔵🔵🔵
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Strands #8
“To put it mildly”
🔵🔵🔵🔵
🔵🔵🟡🔵

Doing these and Lemon Squeezy, as well as Connections still, but not posting regularly -- (any accompanying pictures would get boring pretty quickly :D )
I'm also doing Trice but pretty halfheartedly (I know so little of the "young culture" stuff that shows up :lol: ) and sometimes just blow it off.
hoover

Post by hoover »

What this doesn't show you is the attempted words that weren't counted. That might be a nice addition to the stats graph.

Strands #10
“One thousand followers”
🔵🔵🔵🟡
🔵🔵🔵🔵
KayW

Post by KayW »

Haha. Yes. I would have quite a few, today.
Strands #10
“One thousand followers”
🔵🔵🔵🔵
🔵🟡🔵🔵
hoover

Post by hoover »

These are not very challenging and therefore not very interesting, but I suppose it helps the NYT to have puzzles at various levels of difficulty to appeal to the greatest number of readers.

Strands #15
“World piece”
🟡🔵🔵🔵
🔵🔵🔵🔵
KayW

Post by KayW »

Well, so it's interesting and enjoyable enough for me to do as one of the six or so puzzles I tackle on a daily basis. But by and large the results don't seem "share-worthy"...

Strands #15
“World piece”
🔵🔵🔵🟡
🔵🔵🔵🔵