Any yinzers here? I have crosswords for you!

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
damefox

Any yinzers here? I have crosswords for you!

Post by damefox »

If you don't know what a "yinzer" is, you probably aren't one, but for general edification, a yinzer is someone from Western Pennsylvania, and especially the Pittsburgh region. It comes from "yinz," which is the regional way of saying "you all." (Full disclosure, I am not a yinzer; I am an import to Pittsburgh from Virginia.)

ANYWAY, if anyone here is a yinzer, or yinzer-adjacent, or just generally likes Pittsburgh, I have two Pittsburgh-themed crossword puzzles I've written that I thought might be of interest to anyone starting to experience cabin fever. One is kind of Pittsburgh-trivia themed, and the other is, well, you'll see. If you're interested in solving some Pittsburgh crosswords, email me at damefoxwords@gmail.com and I'll send .pdf and .puz files your way!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Somewhat familiar with yinzers from in-laws & friends from the area. I doubt I'd be able to solve a yinzer-heavy crossword without help from the duckduckgo, but am willing to try.

I've coined "zuh-zizzers" for greater-Cincinnati folk who insist on making everything plural, possessive, and then some. The ultimate example was a former co-worker who pronounced multiple instant messages via phone " texteses' " (four syllables, versus one).
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

I'm from Central New York, so I guess I'm a "yooz/youse" kinda guy.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

We have โ€œyoopersโ€ here in Michigan, but it comes from UP, for Upper Peninsula. No yโ€™all kinda thing.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

My mom grew up in Pittsburgh, and all of her siblings continued to live there. When I was a kid, living in Virginia, some cousins came to visit. I asked the younger one, "What time did you all leave home this morning?" He looked totally baffled, as if I was speaking another language, and turned to his older sister. She very discreetly whispered to him, "She means yinz."
lacangah

Post by lacangah »

Damefox - Thanks for the puzzles; my wife and I enjoyed solving the first one. Being in CA, I felt a little closer to friends and family near the Three Rivers. Will save the second one for a future weekend; yinz take care! :-)
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

I've never heard of yinz... but I was a huge fan of one of your Pittsburgh bands; an Irish band called Ceann. Their shows were a laugh riot from beginning to end, and their leader and frontman -- Patrick Halloran -- was one of the funniest guys I've ever seen. He died tragically in Vermont in 2011, coming home from our favorite Irish Pub.