"Variety Show" - March 20, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
TPS

Post by TPS »

Joe Ross wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:39 am
BrianDavidson wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:23 am I’ve got nothing. No longer trying.
Keep trying. Mike Shenk gave good direction.
Respectfully - Strongly disagree.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

MarkL wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:49 pm For those struggling... "Slow is smooth, and smooth is slow."

PS: is there a way for the non-subscribers to access the TH article?
The WSJ+ article is open to the public, the WSJ article is not. The WSJ article, I have converted to a pdf and put it in my dropbox account. The link is in the Come Aboard/FAQ Community page and should be open to everyone. (let me know if you can't get to it)

If you can not get it any other way, send me your email address via a private message and I will send you the pdf.

Option 1 which I like better is to go to the link in Joe Ross's post above.
Last edited by Bob cruise director on Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

TPS wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:41 pm
Joe Ross wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:39 am
BrianDavidson wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:23 am I’ve got nothing. No longer trying.
Keep trying. Mike Shenk gave good direction.
Respectfully - Strongly disagree.
Save that thought and let us know on Monday if you have changed your mind.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
TPS

Post by TPS »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:08 pm Save that thought and let us know on Monday if you have changed your mind.
I actually just went ahead and submitted an answer. Its a 10 letter word - it has zero relation to anything I found in the puzzle but then again last week's puzzle my answer was a better fit with the title than did the actual answer - so I guess the title doesn't usually mean that much. But you know after reading that article and learning about the "Pageant" puzzle I really think a lot of the puzzles are too cute by half.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Taking a break from "Crossword From the Couch" to announce my utter failure to get the meta so far. I'll keep trying of course. I mean, what else am I gonna do?
edot

Post by edot »

edot wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:44 pm Easy grid... cannot figure out the meta for the life of me! time to take a break from it and take another crack later
And just like that, after a little Saturday afternoon inspiration, I'm on shore! Great meta. Looking forward to discussing it further after tomorrow night :D
PeterLeea1a

Post by PeterLeea1a »

AHA! Finally got it. That one took a long while.
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

My favorite takeaway from the article is that Marie Kelly is an anagram of REALLY MIKE. Of course it is!!!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

TPS wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:17 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:08 pm Save that thought and let us know on Monday if you have changed your mind.
I actually just went ahead and submitted an answer. Its a 10 letter word - it has zero relation to anything I found in the puzzle but then again last week's puzzle my answer was a better fit with the title than did the actual answer - so I guess the title doesn't usually mean that much. But you know after reading that article and learning about the "Pageant" puzzle I really think a lot of the puzzles are too cute by half.
the entire answer is in the grid and there is a very strong clue to help you figure out how to pull it from the grid, so ... wait for the official answer tomorrow night.

The title is actually perfect for this puzzle. That shouldn't be a spoiler - most of the titles actually help you.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

TPS wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:11 pm Took another crack at it today - Ill just never be able to solve the meta. I get the clues and even find the sequences but can never get to that third level and actually get the answer. This will probably be the last week I do the WSJ puzzle as its not worth the frustration.
That's kind of how I feel about cryptics. I read the explanations and they kind of make sense, I guess, but I can never figure out one on my own. Think my brain just doesn't work that way. Sometimes I consider trying to find some easy beginner ones to start with and see if I could work my way up, but mostly I'm just not interested. I'll stick with metas and leave the cryptics for those who love them.
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

I’m on too! 🏖🍹
Last edited by ImOnToo on Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Konnie
boharr

Post by boharr »

On shore, with the help of a nudge.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

tim1217 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:40 pm My favorite takeaway from the article is that Marie Kelly is an anagram of REALLY MIKE. Of course it is!!!
Were you solving them when the name of the constructor under the puzzle was "Marie Kelly" and edited by Mike Shenk. Then the WSJ changed their policy to eliminate screen names and that applied to the WSJ staff also. As a result Marie has faced into the sunset.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Janet

Post by Janet »

After enjoying the variety show on board the Love Boat, I have now departed for the shore. Does the tiki bar have any tp?
Carla

Post by Carla »

Still haven’t left the boat. Been down several rabbit holes.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Janet wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:05 pm After enjoying the variety show on board the Love Boat, I have now departed for the shore. Does the tiki bar have any tp?
The tiki bar has virtual tp but don't think about that too much.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
EdStrong

Post by EdStrong »

There are more red herrings, rabbits, and other shiny objects in this puzzle than I can remember. I think I’ve explored at least five so far - and have to believe one of the of them will bear fruit, but maybe not!?!? Time for a mountain bike ride and a reset!! Sheesh, this one has me perplexed... BTW, Bob, I’m still at sea (I wish your status update was correct and I was safely on shore).
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Janet wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:05 pm After enjoying the variety show on board the Love Boat, I have now departed for the shore. Does the tiki bar have any tp?
Just ordered take out from a local restaurant and they included a roll of toilet paper with our order!
Heidi
Ffrohbose

Post by Ffrohbose »

not there yet but I'm just warming up!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

hcbirker wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:42 pm
Just ordered take out from a local restaurant and they included a roll of toilet paper with our order!
What does that say about the food you ordered??