"Variety Show" - March 20, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

UTHfan wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:33 pm and then seconds later, got it. and on shore.
I can't tell you how many times I enter "ship" in my scoresheet, only to change it to "shore" about 30 seconds later. Welcome to the shore.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

In case there are any US individuals who might have been working on their 2019 income taxes, the IRS updated their prior Notice, Notice 2020-17, with Notice 2020-18, which implements the relief discussed by Trump & Mnuchin earlier today.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-20-18.pdf

If you're not a US taxpayer, back to the meta with you.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Head scratcher

Post by Head scratcher »

Happily ashore!
lusophile

Post by lusophile »

Spent ten times longer on the grid than the meta. Happily 100% ashore & quarantined with an American-made grappa substitute. Feeling sad for Isaac.
MaryCC

Post by MaryCC »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:29 am
MaryCC wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:57 pmOn shore!
Nice writeup on you and the boys. Did they help?
You are sweet! I did it on my own this week as they are at an actual beach, while I'm sunning on this virtual one! Thank you for everything you do!
TMart

Post by TMart »

On shore, finally! All it took was a little Angel's Envy - thanks Isaac. Not sure why that took so long. In the end it was very Shenky.
matthewmoravec

Post by matthewmoravec »

On shore. It was a fun surprise to see the write-up in Thursday's paper--first time I have seen a picture of the fabled mug. Eye on the prize!
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

I’m on it, Bob. The shore that is.
Oh really, Mike. Too clever.
I give full credit to the excellent tip-off to go back through Mike/Marie’s old metas on this board. That caused me to abandon the myriad rabbit holes I was investigating and get straight to the rabbit’s foot.
Thanks again to all you guys involved in that project for us. 🙋‍♀️
Beth C

Post by Beth C »

The grid was easy enough but I have no clue yet for the meta. Totally lost so far. Oh, well, it's early and I'll keep trying...
Jim and Anita

Post by Jim and Anita »

Ashore. This one did not come easily but it finally surrendered to a wee-hour inspiration.
KayW

Post by KayW »

On shore at last!! Another great one from Mike.

After spending way too much time digging myself deeper into the same dead-end holes, I spent the evening browsing Mike/Marie’s old puzzles on the board. Woke up this morning and the answer was right there in front of me.

Many thanks again to Joe Ross for his diligent work in uploading all those puzzles in one place. Reviewing old puzzles for fresh approaches is one of my solving strategies when stuck. Even if I don’t see a puzzle with the exact same mechanism, it’s a great way to bump myself out of a mental rut. Having them all in one place makes it so much easier!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
debbierudy

Post by debbierudy »

Ashore!
KayW

Post by KayW »

At the risk of turning this into an Oscar acceptance speech…
Thanks to all who work so hard to provide this virtual gathering place:

I think both Joe Ross and steveb were heavily involved in uploading all the old puzzles. And of course our always dedicated BrianMac for setting up and maintaining this forum, cruise director Bob for all his diligent tracking and reporting, and all others who contribute. Oh and let’s not forget Mike Miller and the WSJ staff and of course Mike Shenk Matt Gaffney and all those other brilliant constructors without who none of us would be here.

Dang. Oscar acceptance speech mode activated, and they’re playing the music to cut me off...

Here’s hoping we all stay safe and well through the latest chaos in the real world.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Still with Isaac, and if I don’t solve, it’s still a win with the enjoyment of reading the comments of this community, thank you!
allisonkp

Post by allisonkp »

Long time WSJ subscriber and first time WSJ crossword solver here. Big NYT crossword solver and got the grid fairly quickly but definitely still Lost at Sea on the meta. Excited to have joined this.
Guy

Post by Guy »

On shore! Got it just after posting from the bar, there is something to that.
Beth C

Post by Beth C »

Got it! I was worried because everyone but me seemed to be solving the meta, then the solve method came to me, to my relief! Good luck Muggles.
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

It was the third cup of coffee this morning that got me to the shore (even though it was decaf)! Think I'll make another pot and work on some past puzzles...
Sara
BethA

Post by BethA »

I haven’t won the elusive WSJ Crossword Champion MUG yet, but It was really neat to be quoted in both the online and print versions of the March 19 WSJ articles about metas and MUGgles! Where it says “one wrote”, about the SEALED ENVELOPES and the ROY G BIV puzzles, it’s me! Feeling shyly conspicuous about it, but thought people might like to know.
BrianDavidson

Post by BrianDavidson »

I’ve got nothing. No longer trying.