"These Go To Eleven" - March 13, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

TPS wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:21 pm Puzzle was easy as usual but I never get the meta. Not once in like 200+ puzzles - I thought maybe this one might be different because I know Beatles songs but predictably it will be something stupid.
TPS = welcome to the muggles. Isaac will console you and you will make it to the shore sooner or later.

Good luck
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Tom Shea wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:27 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:51 am Good Sunday morning muggles

Joining the mob on the shore since yesterday are

anyway stay safe. This virus may be a boon to MGWCC since there is no sports to watch on TV and we can't go anywhere.
I have dog paddled to shore. Hopefully the correct one, but, at the least, correct enough with a tiki bar or two.
Tom
I was saving you to blast through the record. You are #151 on shore this week. The tiki bar has a free drink waiting for you.
Last edited by Bob cruise director on Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
TPS

Post by TPS »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:34 pm
TPS = welcome to the muggles. Isaac will console you and you will make it to the shore sooner or later.

Good luck
Thanks for the welcome - I don't really bother with the meta anymore. This one I looked at just because I would spot a Beatles song if it was easily apparent. But its just not an itch I need to scratch.
DaveWa

Post by DaveWa »

I'm ashore, looking for some social distancing space on this crowded beach.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

TPS wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:21 pm Puzzle was easy as usual but I never get the meta. Not once in like 200+ puzzles - I thought maybe this one might be different because I know Beatles songs but predictably it will be something stupid.
stupidclever.jpg
Scott Lindholm

Post by Scott Lindholm »

On shore. Posted this last week:

I would dearly love to know and understand the science that leads our brains to "suddenly" (however that's defined) realize an answer to a puzzle or conundrum, because I picked up my computer and having solved the puzzle over an hour ago, saw the title of puzzle in the tab, and immediately realized what the solution was.

Dang if the same thing didn't just happen to me again. Did the grid after church, let it sit for a bit, had a hunch after lunch, and that was all she wrote. Spooky...
Lucas S

Post by Lucas S »

Tom Shea wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:27 am
Lucas S wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:59 am On shore! The Beatles had been broken up for several years by the time my parents were in high school, so they never really listened to any of their music outside of “Sgt. Pepper’s” and “Abbey Road”. The “Love” compilation album came out when I was in high school and really got me interested in The Beatles, so I ended up buying the complete box set of all their albums in college. Funnily enough, I ended up introducing my parents to some of their older stuff (particularly, “Rubber Soul” and “Revolver”), and now we frequently have The Beatles playing whenever we get together for cocktails.

Good music is good music, no matter the genre or generation it came from.
"Now for all the Gen X'ers and beyond, for those of us who were in high school and college when the Beatles hit the scene, don't make us feel older than we already are by "I listened to them with my parents". Coronavirus targeting us is bad enough. LOL"

"The Beatles had been broken up for several years by the time my parents were in high school"

That is a most evil tweak at the cruise director. Best to make a sacrifice to the muggle god straight away. Guinness seems to be the drink of choice here.
:lol: My apologies. My comment wasn’t intended as a jab at Bob, but rather an anecdote to show how The Beatles’ music has transcended multiple generations. Either way, the next round is on me. Guinness for everyone!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Lucas S wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:50 pm
Tom Shea wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:27 am
Lucas S wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:59 am On shore! The Beatles had been broken up for several years by the time my parents were in high school, so they never really listened to any of their music outside of “Sgt. Pepper’s” and “Abbey Road”. The “Love” compilation album came out when I was in high school and really got me interested in The Beatles, so I ended up buying the complete box set of all their albums in college. Funnily enough, I ended up introducing my parents to some of their older stuff (particularly, “Rubber Soul” and “Revolver”), and now we frequently have The Beatles playing whenever we get together for cocktails.

Good music is good music, no matter the genre or generation it came from.
"Now for all the Gen X'ers and beyond, for those of us who were in high school and college when the Beatles hit the scene, don't make us feel older than we already are by "I listened to them with my parents". Coronavirus targeting us is bad enough. LOL"

"The Beatles had been broken up for several years by the time my parents were in high school"

That is a most evil tweak at the cruise director. Best to make a sacrifice to the muggle god straight away. Guinness seems to be the drink of choice here.
:lol: My apologies. My comment wasn’t intended as a jab at Bob, but rather an anecdote to show how The Beatles’ music has transcended multiple generations. Either way, the next round is on me. Guinness for everyone!
No offense taken. I get much more than that from my kids.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
TPS

Post by TPS »

BrianMac wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:20 pm
stupidclever.jpg
I walked right into that one given the Title of the Puzzle. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Now I think I might be on a mirage beach...count me as a maybe, dear cruise director.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Dplass wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:35 pm Now I think I might be on a mirage beach...count me as a maybe, dear cruise director.
Mirage beaches also have bars so we don't differentiate.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
grwinski

Post by grwinski »

Well, it took a whole weekend of 'social distancing' for us to get it.... but we think we're finally ashore (do have one little nit, will be interested in the conversation tomorrow!)

Rita and George
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Our final count is 154 on the shore. A new record.

Since lunch the launches have brought to the shore:
Jazzvibist
NuYear68
Debbie
Dennis
Tom S
Scott L
DaveWa
and Rita and George.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
BrianDavidson

Post by BrianDavidson »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:06 pm Our final count is 154 on the shore. A new record.

Since lunch the launches have brought to the shore:
Jazzvibist
NuYear68
Debbie
Dennis
Tom S
Scott L
DaveWa
and Rita and George.
And me!
Richard

Post by Richard »

Got it

Help from my son who is more into music than I.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Jazzvibist wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:24 pm Ashore since Thursday but only virtually because Al’s “Diabolical” comment persuaded me to hold off submitting it until today. I have a guess at why he made the comment and hope he explains it after the deadline.
Hope I didn't throw you or anyone off... "elegant/clever/how the heck..." would probably have been better. I used "diabolical" because of the earworm that instantly made a home in my head. My coworker and I used to do that to each other... like I'd walk behind him sitting at his desk, whistling "Billy Don't Be a Hero," only to find myself 20 minutes later asking "Now why am I singing that ridiculous "Seasons in the Sun" in my head?", only to look over at him laughing.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

After a long weekend of travel, please count me as home, ashore, and happy to be part of the latest record. Thanks to all muggles for the giggles & chuckles along the way.

THIS WENT TO THE ELEVEN(th hour).

Good luck to all in winning the mug!

Al Sisti wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:49 pm I'd walk behind him sitting at his desk, whistling "Billy Don't Be a Hero"
Thank you for the nightmares, Al! Bo Donaldson & The Heywoods were from my neighborhood, literally, and my 5 elder sisters played that P.O.S. until the vinyl turned white, then bought new albums & singles.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
bobbydeee

Post by bobbydeee »

A little late in responding, but I’m ashore. Fun one this week!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

♫ I'll be your Valentine, and you'll be mine, and things'll be cool. ♫

For superfast puzzle solvers & those eager to get the Crossword Contest answers soonest, Sign up for WSJ puzzle alerts. You'll get an email with a link to the latest puzzle a minute or two faster than refreshing the WSJ puzzle page.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

So the answer I submitted was, "Hey Jude".

This is due to all the "na"s in the long answers. Let's all sing along...

Na, na, na, na-na-na na
Na-na-na na, hey Jude

So what does this have to do with the title of, "These Go To Eleven"?

I saw two connections:

1) The # of "na"s in the chorus is 11.
2) 11 is the atomic number of sodium. Whose symbol is "Na".
Last edited by DBMiller on Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.