"Use Your Head" January 12, 2024

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

The thing about this one though is that you didn't need to know exactly what all the body parts were; just that that was the pattern.

The last two I got were hare-brained and even-handed. But it had to be an S coming from SHARE because sare, shre, shae, and shar aren't words. So that gave me ABSEN(E/T). So knew the answer was absent-minded even while I pondered those last two.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Coming in quickly before today's to say I only submitted ABSENT, so I was ABSENT-MINDED! I'm never ABSENT from these puzzles...but let's hope I'm less ABSENT-MINDED in submitting this week's!! The fact that I missed that all the new words were hyphenated didn't help, but what does help in consolation is that 123 of you made the same mistake I did, haha.

First miss in the new year, so let's shake it off!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around