"These Go To Eleven" - March 13, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
steveb

Post by steveb »

I'm finally on the beach. Had to think about it for more than 11 minutes, unlike some of you speedsters.
CallMeShane

Post by CallMeShane »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:47 am
CallMeShane wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:02 am On SOME shore ...

Hello ... Yoo hoo ...
Was it you who won the mug last week?
Ha ha!

If it was me, I would have been crowing here all week ... asking if anyone wanted to rub my head for luck
KayW

Post by KayW »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:50 am
Happy Pi Day (we had apple last night), however in the WSJ today there is a debate as to whether we should celebrate Pi Day or Tau Day. I will let you decide.
I read that article and to my mind - and stomach - the best argument for celebrating Pi day is that we get lots of pie! But I suppose on Tau Day we could each have 2-pies :D
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Patty

Post by Patty »

Whew! After several weeks of whiffing it I am on shore.

As for covid-19, one anecdote. A colleague of my husband believes he had it in December. At the time he thought it was the seasonal flu but his symptoms matched the ones now being reported. And, shortly before he fell ill he had met with a Chinese delegation.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

CPJohnson wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:55 am Solved. I'd be interested in hearing how the rest of you have altered your lives due to covid-19, and how many cases are in your local area. I'm in East Tennessee. We have 1 case in our county, diagnosed 4 days ago. We have maybe a bit more food in the freezer than usual, and we've decided to not eat out for a while.
Well right now I think I live in the only state in the US without a confirmed case (WV). No doubt because few people here would have access to the test...last I heard, only around 30 people in the whole state had been tested...but I like to think we are sort of naturally isolated out here in the hills. All public schools have closed indefinitely, and my son's university is taking a two-week break before resuming with online-only classes. Strange times, indeed. So happy to have my puzzles and my muggles. I am pretty much a hermit anyway, so I am settling in with my books and puzzles.

We all made fun of my son when his girlfriend got him a bidet last year, but he may have the last laugh during this TP crisis...
BrianDavidson

Post by BrianDavidson »

On the ship for now, self-isolating and self-medicating at the end of the bar.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:50 am

Also the WSJ Saturday crossword is extremely clever for those who want something to amuse them.

Agree completely re WSJ Saturday!!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:50 am Good morning Muggles

A couple of things first before our roll call. Welcome to our newest muggles: Notbitter, UTHfan, CPKdad and VincentM

Happy Pi Day (we had apple last night), however in the WSJ today there is a debate as to whether we should celebrate Pi Day or Tau Day. I will let you decide.

Also the WSJ Saturday crossword is extremely clever for those who want something to amuse them.

And thanks for posting the links to the slack key guitar links. It was new to me but very enjoyable.

We have 3 muggles keeping Isaac company for now and 120 on the shore. And apologies to anyone I have missed.
I believe you missed me - though with the size of this crowd, I'm not sure I could even see myself.

Looks like it might be another record setter. Good thing virtual crowds can't spread germs.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

If I get another email from a business explaining how they are doing wonderful things to mitigate the virus, I am going to explode. I am up to 10 of them including my oil company which I don't know where it is, the garage where I take my car, the home alarm company we don't use any more, the propane company that delivers once a year for our fireplace insert and the bank for the condo we sold five years ago.

And my wife got one from a company that we bought something from once on line sometime. We don't even know what they make.
Last edited by Bob cruise director on Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Bird Lives wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:09 am
BarbaraK wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:16 pm How about MGWCC? This week's is also pretty easy,
I haven't found it easy, though with 306 correct submissions already, it must be. I suspect that most of the solvers had a hunch what the answer would be and then fit the letters rather than trying to sort the 20 letters into a phrase. But I was flattered to see that for the first comment on the previous puzzle, Matt had selected mine.
Sometimes too much knowledge is more hindrance than help. Forget all the tricks you know about solving metas and pretend this is the first you've ever seen and all you have to go on is the puzzle and the hint. (Yeah, I know, that's probably like telling you to not think about pink elephants:)
Last edited by BarbaraK on Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

BarbaraK wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:12 pm

A couple of things first before our roll call. Welcome to our newest muggles: Notbitter, UTHfan, CPKdad and VincentM

And thanks for posting the links to the slack key guitar links. It was new to me but very enjoyable.

We have 3 muggles keeping Isaac company for now and 120 on the shore. And apologies to anyone I have missed.
I believe you missed me - though with the size of this crowd, I'm not sure I could even see myself.

Looks like it might be another record setter. Good thing virtual crowds can't spread germs.
I am so sorry. I will have to bold you like I did for Cindy after I missed her two weeks in a row. It could be a record setter as we are up to 124 and it is only Saturday afternoon.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
burak

Post by burak »

Simple, but when the answer is a Beatles song you can't go wrong.

Now I have to listen to the answer for a couple of days on loop. Oh well, we have all the time in the world. Stay safe people!
diplomatt

Post by diplomatt »

Here on the beach! Gonna break out my Abbey Road vinyl to celebrate.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Ashore. Finally.
I just hate it when I overthink these things.

In exploring my many rabbit holes, I did, however, find something that might wrap this up with a bow.
Head scratcher

Post by Head scratcher »

Ashore. First time I solved the meta!
AnnP

Post by AnnP »

On shore! Liked this one.
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

On shore! Later, Isaac. It is not a good time to be stranded on a cruise ship. Glad to be on shore after weeks of not getting anything!
Devilbunny

Post by Devilbunny »

Bob, since I didn't say explicitly that I was ashore, I think you missed me in the count. So tack one more one.

The warren has seen a lot of use lately, but one of the benefits of being a devilbunny is that we have... somewhat more efficient cleaning mechanisms.
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

Yes! Loved it. On shore.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:15 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:12 pm

I am so sorry. I will have to bold you like I did for Cindy after I missed her two weeks in a row. It could be a record setter as we are up to 124 and it is only Saturday afternoon.
If you cry enough he will never forget you again. Lol! Got to have some humor in these crazy times.