MGWCC #814 — “You’ve Got to Stand for Something”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

20240105-MGWCC814-reveal-RED.png
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

Similarly ASS got circled as part of "As soon" in ASAP. I needed a nudge to get set straight
In other words, you're saying that you couldn't solve this until you got off your ass?
woozy

Post by woozy »

I seem to be the only person who thought it might be the words in the acronyms, looked for something to do with them, and simply did not recognize or see *any* of them.

I think the exports in the photography slot is an error but if Matt acknowledged it as an "oopsie" that's more than fair. It didn't make the puzzle unsolvable or the answer wrong. I also don't think it opens the goo God option. Being crosses of the acronyms they are for is certainly very strong and noticeable beyond "anywhere in the grid"
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I would have been perfectly happy if the mechanism had used any of the crosses for a specific acronym, as per JPEG with EXPORTS crossing on the P. However, the fact that all of the others utilised the actual starting letter made EXPORTS stick out like a sore thumb!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I still don't get the title. But once I had the letters thanks to a couple of nudges (more like pushes that came to shoves), I thought of the title and saw FLOORMAT, i.e., something for standing. Wrong answer but a perfect anagram.
Over on Fiend (https://crosswordfiend.com/2024/01/09/m ... ore-156585), I wondered out loud if the anagram might have been intentional. Matt then said that it wasn't.
Jay
woozy

Post by woozy »

Bird Lives wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:41 am I still don't get the title.
I assumed and still assume it just mean the letters of an acronym stand for words.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.