MEOW #162 White As Snow

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

Cat's out and enjoyed the sleigh ride, thanks Dr. Tom!
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Cat's gone after a couple of near stumbles. Fun one! Thanks, DrT!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

SamKat9 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:25 am Cat's out and enjoyed the sleigh ride, thanks Dr. Tom!
Oh my, you sleighed the cat!
Sleigh Cat.png
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

sharkicicles wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:16 am
DrTom wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:29 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:58 pm

You don’t need a lot of online searching, you just need to remember that this is DrTom :)
EXACTLY! I try to make puzzles that even I could solve! I seldom get really obtuse and if I do I let you know from the start that it will be hard.
I haven't got this one yet, but I know DrTom is always fair, and if it's a hardon e he'll let you know.
Hmmmm :lol:
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Dr. Tom you are showing commendable restraint in your reaction above. ( :

BTW, I’m still trying to see what everyone is seeing in this meta…
The other Wendy. :roll:
Darth

Post by Darth »

The cat is out. Purrfect! Thanks, DrTom.
ET-Cat0.jpg
woozy

Post by woozy »

Yeah, I think I see what I'm supposed to see but I'm a little to fclustered to really take the borther to see it. Whether I'm being too impatient or whether it's vaguely ambiguous remains to be seen but I suspect I'm being too impatient. Not getting it yet...

Um going to consider the WSJ this week the first real meta of the year... Of course if I whiff that... well, I suppose it's always been possible there'd be a year where I never solve a meta ever....
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HeadinHome wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:24 pm Dr. Tom you are showing commendable restraint in your reaction above. ( :

BTW, I’m still trying to see what everyone is seeing in this meta…
Must resist temptation, taking all energy...Danger Danger Will Robinson. central processor shutting down due to overload!
danger.jpg
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

A half dozen more for Day 2:

26 Jeremy Smith
27 SamKat9
28 Quiara
29 Philip Chow
30 Darth
31 LB800

and now, without further adieu...
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Nudges:

Think of symmetry and synonyms

If the title is not helpful, change it around a little

Remember that I like to use wordplay...even in my meta prompts

Although the answer is a band, it is not a band
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Fun one, @DrTom! The cat is currently out of his bag, but he's preparing to get right back in there before the nor'easter hits tomorrow.
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Cap'n Rick wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:40 am Fun one, @DrTom! The cat is currently out of his bag, but he's preparing to get right back in there before the nor'easter hits tomorrow.
Better catten down the hatches!

T
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :cat: Nudged out of the bag, and you could probably hear my head slap half-way across the country. Loved it - thanks, Tom!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

The nudges helped! Seven more people joined the ranks of solver:

32 Berto
33 Cap'n Rick
34 Dave C
35 Danny K Bernstein
36 Carolyn
37 woozy
38 Kay W

Possibly everyone now is working on the WSJ and MG (I know I am) and if you are having the difficulty I am then I doubt I'll see you on the MEOW, but I do thank those who has tried so far.

T
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Better late than never?? I have FINALLY figured this one out, thanks to a little more explicit instruction from Dr. Tom. A little red-faced over here, that I needed that much hand holding. (Though to be fair to me, I was not at all familiar with the band!)
The other Wendy. :roll:
ajk

Post by ajk »

Getting to it late, and needed the second nudge, but got there. Fun stuff, thanks.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, in the midst of a Week 1(??????) MG and a difficult WSJ (neither of which I am getting) I still got two more solvers:

39 HeadinHome
40 ajk

Thank you for taking the time to solve!!!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Two more solvers join the list:

41 Pair O Ducks
42 Ergcat
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, another two:

43 JM
44 AxelPlays

I am delighted to have 2 more people solve every day, but remember tomorrow AM I post the reveal, so that kind of spoils it for future solvers!! So if oyu are looking to solve, be a night-owl because tonight is the night.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

The Reveal:

A total of 44 of you trudged through the snow to find the answer:
White as Snow graphic reveal.jpg
I got a lot of different answers and some people may have had the answer and just stopped trying because I did not have their particular answer as a possibility, for that I am sorry. It is hard to anticipate what people are going to enter and include them all.

I think I also have to apologize for my verbal chicanery, Rock Group was meant to be funny, and I'll admit a little cryptic, using the fact that these magnificent seven worked in the mines. Hmmm, magnificent 7, I'll have to remember that!!!

Thanks to all who solved!! :D