The Final WSJ Hex Cryptic

Enter if you dare!
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

Hoo boy, that was a tough one. I sussed out the missing letters before finishing the grid, which helped, but there were some hard entries to be sure. Happy retirement to Henry and Emily, sad that this is your last. I, too, cut my teeth on the Atlantic cryptics. What a puzzle on which to bow out.
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Not my favorite, but I was determined to finish since it is their last one. I had to use every tool - OneLook, OneAcross, and even had to cheat using AskRoss (Crossword Genius app) for a couple.
I like easier straightforward cryptics like the Sunday New Yorker. The clues often make me smile.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Katiedid wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:02 pm even had to cheat using AskRoss (Crossword Genius app)
This MUST be a prank. I highly doubt anything named such would have the word "genius" attached.
DavyGravy

Post by DavyGravy »

For those of you looking for quality variety cryptic crosswords, check out Patrick Berry at Aframegames.com. He has 3 sets of them entitled “The Crypt”
If I’ve solved and you need a nudge, you can PM me. Happy to pay it forward. ;)
Guffman

Post by Guffman »

Very sad news. IMO they have always been the masters of the art of the cryptic puzzle. I would like to send C&R a note to express my appreciate of their life's work. Does anyone know of an address other than c/o The WSJ?
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

I’ve been enjoying Steve Mossberg “Square Chase” variety cryptics for the past couple of years. If interested, find his Patreon page here: https://www.patreon.com/squarechase
Abide

Post by Abide »

Happy trails Hex! First time I have looked at WSJ comments in years (needed help on 16 and 22D).
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Any of you do “Out of Left Field” cryptics by Joshua Kosman and Henri Piccioto? This week Mssrs. K and P broke from their usual straight cryptic style to bring us a variety cryptic. And it’s a particularly lovely one, quite germane to our discussion here. Here’s the link, though note that you may be expected to pay some: https://www.patreon.com/leftfieldcryptics
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:13 pm Any of you do “Out of Left Field” cryptics by Joshua Kosman and Henri Piccioto? This week Mssrs. K and P broke from their usual straight cryptic style to bring us a variety cryptic. And it’s a particularly lovely one, quite germane to our discussion here. Here’s the link, though note that you may be expected to pay some: https://www.patreon.com/leftfieldcryptics
I have been doing them for a few weeks. That small patreon payment gets you access to all of their past puzzles as well. Have been working my way through the archives for a few cents each. An excellent bargain.
hoover

Post by hoover »

I'm still working on this last HEX cryptic. Am I misremembering, or did I first encounter them in Games Magazine a gazillion years ago?