"2+2=5" - February 28, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Lucas S

Post by Lucas S »

My math minor was no use to me this week, but I found the shore party nonetheless. Have a great weekend, everyone! (El Gose, please, bartender)
Colin

Post by Colin »

Good morning Isaac. Today is another day!
Edit: Ah, that looks interesting but the tiki bar is crowded, so I’ll hang here for a while.
Last edited by Colin on Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
One world. One planet. One future.
Beth C

Post by Beth C »

Toes in the sand again this week! Have a great weekend Muggles!
Janet

Post by Janet »

Lucas S wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:37 am
DBMiller wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:05 pm
tim1217 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:23 pm I seem to get the challenging metas fairly quickly and struggle over those that everyone says are easy. Taking a break and revisiting doesn't help. All I see are the same old rabbit holes. I'm most likely over-thinking it, but that has always been one of my strong suits. In the meantime...

...about an hour west of me there is an eagle's nest on the Iowa side of the Mississippi. The nest is in a tree on the property of the Arconic company. 11 years ago a pair of eagles (since name Liberty and Justice) built the nest and have fledged eaglets every year since. Arconic installed a live cam with an amazing view. I watched last year as Windy and Storm were hatched and raised. Unfortunately the Spring rains caused flooding that knocked out the cam, so we all missed the pair fledging. Liberty and Justice are currently mating and Liberty should be laying an egg or two very soon. Zoom in for a fantastic look. If you don't see them in the nest, check back. Before the eggs are laid, they spend time away from the nest hunting for food and gathering more materials for the nest.

https://www.arconic.com/eaglecam/
Cool. I was born and raised in the Quad Cities. Tried to go down to the river to photograph eagles the last time I was back home, but didn't have any luck.
I lived in the Quad Cities for a few years after college. I’ll be heading back for a few days this summer to visit some friends and go to the John Deere Classic. I’m looking forward to it!
Oddly enough, the Quad cities came up last weekend when we saw my dad's military reunion was going to be there next. We looked it up and found it was 5 cities. It fits in with this puzzle, doesn't it? 5 cities = quad. Wikipedia gave us the back story, that people were so used to calling it the Quad cities that the Quint cities never caught on.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Tom Shea wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:28 pm At first I was thinking - you know - math is hard. Then my second cup of coffee gave me the idea to stop using Laplace Transforms.

On shore. Martini time, then the Hilton Hawaiian fireworks.
try autocorrelation - it works every time
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering if we have any leap people here.

A humorous article (unless you are born Feb 29) https://www.wsj.com/articles/leap-year- ... 1582910410
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

The bar is a little lonely. Making my way to check on the stern garden... Might be some spring clean-up chores I can accomplish.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Got a late start after a busy Thursday and Friday. I definitely overthought it...came up with two separate solutions that didn’t quite click. Woke up at 4 am with one that gave me an “Aha.” This morning I’m not so sure. :?: Either way, I’m ashore. The weather is too nice here today to spend anymore time on this. Good luck to all!
ccmac

Post by ccmac »

I’m pretty sure I’ve landed on the right shore. I’m slightly hesitant because it was simpler than I imagined at first. As a relative newbie, I’ve been blown away by the complexity of some of the solutions!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Janet P wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:31 am The bar is a little lonely. Making my way to check on the stern garden... Might be some spring clean-up chores I can accomplish.
I'll bring a bag of mulch for the petunias.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Our Sadie Hawkins Day report has 7 muggles on the ship and 84 on the shore.

And we have our two newest muggles: tbmet and femullen on the ship keeping Isaac in business.

Our ship contingent is
Scott M
MajorDomoTom
Cynthia J
fishmagik
tbmet
femullen
and Colin

While on the shore are
les
Hector
Frankie
damefox
Mike H
Tmart
Meg
joequavis
Joe Ross
oldjudge
Tina
BrianMac
Peter A
Al
Barbara K
Leslie
Wendy
sharkicicles
Laura
Jim and Anita
Jeremy
Heidi
dplass
Ed S
Eric P
jimmyjam
Julie
Billkatz
scooby
Beth A
mark L
Jacksull
Jazzvibist
Tom Wi
Trey and Marion
Jeanrosz
spotter
Beth T
streroto
ky-mike
higgysue
FrankH
Jennifer
Fkelly
RDaleHall
Toby
Homer
docison
Chris
michaelm
Cindy
Kay
burak
Anita
Glyn
your cruise director who need much more of a push than he should have
Diane
MaryCC
steveb
howardl
ALS
Lacangah
Guy
JeffreyG
Juliet
JimJim
Devilbunny
tonyrobots
Brian
joe
the Thurman8er
Lucas
LittleGood
NLobb
LaceyK
Beth C
burd
boharr
eagle1279
Tom S
cashk
Janet
SusieG
and ccmac

Good luck to all getting the meta and winning the mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

On shore. 🏖

I mean, pretty sure! I’m at least on A shore.
Not much time this weekend. So, I had to swoop in, do my best and reach the nearest land. 🤞🏼
Konnie
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

I'm still on the ship as well.
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

Late breaking news is that I am now on shore.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

As am I. Wow, overthought that one. First time to see that mechanism, and ... I like it.

I had a few "Hail Mary" guesses, this would not have been one of them. Was really scratching my head over 64A, but no longer.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Swimming to shore. Tried my darndest to make it harder than it was but saw the AHA today when I finally had a bit of time to stare at it.

Swimming to shore may be my only travel trip I see. We were due to fly to Italy and now I see the CDC has made it a Level 3 - DRAT!!! My problem there is not postponing, because Delta my carrier is making allowances, but the fact that we rent cottages/villas and they (1) want their money up front (2) are not often amenable to refund. :( So now I have to argue some more, and unfortunately it has been that kind of month/week where I have had to act the aggressor to make people do what good business sense and humanity should dictate they do without being asked. Seems humanity is in shorter supply than surgical marks! :x

On a more encouraging note I have been lurking and downloading those puzzles that were obtainable on the MGWCC and except for the "Illegal Activity" one I got them all (of course working on AKA now and that seems to be thwarting me). But I am now encouraged to go ahead and sign up for it. Who knows I may have the time I would have used in Italy to start doing puzzles...

Oh, and some topical humor:
Did you hear that they think the virus is now also a tick borne disease?
They are calling those infections Corona with Lyme.... :lol:
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:33 am Our Sadie Hawkins Day report has 7 muggles on the ship and 84 on the shore.

Good luck to all getting the meta and winning the mug
Think you missed my done and done.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Count me on shore too Bob. 🙋‍♀️
So far this has been an interesting Muggle week all around- grid, meta, leaping Lords (and Ladies), baby birds, thoughts of spring, and useful nutritional advice.
So where are the resident poets?? (Sorry)
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

I had expected
Based on thirty-one across
Poetry galore!

P.S. Bob C.D., I am also still with Isaac!
LaPetiteFlora

Post by LaPetiteFlora »

On shore! Not before chasing a few rabbits. Helped to see people found it easy, so realized we were overthinking it. Was convinced OMAHA crossing QUANT in a plus sign with the clue "Financial wizard, for short" had to be a Warren Buffet reference... sigh...