MGWCC #800 – "With This Ring, I Thee Solve"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

I'm waiting to beam up. This was fun!
NoFeetMcGee

Post by NoFeetMcGee »

OK, I'm in the same boat as many were, I think... got a 100% click that fits everything except the prompt of an "institution", and cannot for the life of me figure out how to push it any further. Very frustrated, and I think ready for a nudge, if anyone has one.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:45 pm
MikeyG wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:56 pm It was a hard-fought battle, and there could only be one victor, but ultimately, it looks like, just barely, Felix the Cat did win over Ginger Cat.

Ginger Cat, you fought a noble battle, but you did come in second. What are your thoughts?

Ginger Cat has no further comment at this time.
Just eking me out.

And @TeamDoubleTow was up bright and early.

Leaderboard.jpg

Now @Wendy Walker has to decide whether she wants to keep her streak alive or get the "Off The Mat" award.
Congrats to @Wendy Walker . We wanted to make sure we didn't forget to submit!
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Awaiting beamage, phone in hand, after using the LYFT app to hail a starship last-minute.

263. Joe Ross 10/04 - 11:56
clonefitz

Post by clonefitz »

We made these connections:
puzzle #800 to
Roman numeral DCCC to
eight clues with four words beginning with DCCC to
the first letters of the answers to those clues spell TOLL FREE.

American institution
"With this ring...."
TOLL FREE

It's got to be the liberty bell, right?
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

What? You mean it wasn't Cars for Kids?
Jay
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

Bird Lives wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:48 pm What? You mean it wasn't Cars for Kids?
*covers ears* Not listening!
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

After seeing DCCC in the clues, roman numerals for 800, the puzzle number is 800, and the first step as Toll Free, it seemed logical that the answer should be BELL TELEPHONE. "Ring" the Bell, right? And, Bell Telephone was the first company to offer long distance service!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
oggy

Post by oggy »

No-one else actually called 800-966-4378 hoping to hear a recording of Matt telling me how awesome I am and what the answer is, but instead just got some random-ass medical center?

No?

Oh.
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Wow, so many layers!
I got the 7 numbers, figured it could be a phone number (ring), since it was #800, googled the 800 number and got NY Times. Solved!
I never noticed the DCCC clues, so missed TOLL-FREE, and didn't bother to look up the dial letters for the number so didn't see that it actually spells NYTIMES.
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

oggy wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:03 pm No-one else actually called 800-966-4378 hoping to hear a recording of Matt telling me how awesome I am and what the answer is, but instead just got some random-ass medical center?

No?

Oh.
Funny, when I called that number, he answered live, and invited me up for a couple of weeks of hanging out, and tossing a ball around in the yard.

I guess that was only for the first caller.

I'll let you know how we get on.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

HoldThatThought wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:24 pm
oggy wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:03 pm No-one else actually called 800-966-4378 hoping to hear a recording of Matt telling me how awesome I am and what the answer is, but instead just got some random-ass medical center?

No?

Oh.
Funny, when I called that number, he answered live, and invited me up for a couple of weeks of hanging out, and tossing a ball around in the yard.

I guess that was only for the first caller.

I'll let you know how we get on.
Just don't steal his car the way his daughter did last week and make him delay the puzzle. I have family coming to visit this weekend and want to get the MGWCC out of the way ,so I don't have to excuse myself on Saturday from all the in-laws in order to.... Wait...

Okay. Steal his car.
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

It's a Week 1, Hunter.

I recommend charades, or horseshoes.

I hear croquet is coming back.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

HoldThatThought wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:18 am It's a Week 1, Hunter.

I recommend charades, or horseshoes.

I hear croquet is coming back.
My in-laws don't know that week 1 puzzles are the easiest. For all they know, it might take until dinner time.

Or at least until the first wine bottle gets opened.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Midway thru, with TOLLFREE and all those DCCC (800s), I dialed 1-800-GAFFNEY... no luck there!

But finally with the numbers in hand, I submitted NEW YORK TIMES CROSSWORD... seems an American institution as well, and with "I Thee Solve" in the title, thought it was what he was going for... got credit, and on Tilghman Day no less!
Ray
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

rjy wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:10 pm But finally with the numbers in hand, I submitted NEW YORK TIMES CROSSWORD... seems an American institution as well, and with "I Thee Solve" in the title, thought it was what he was going for... got credit, and on Tilghman Day no less!
I wondered whether specifying the crossword would be accepted. I went what I thought was the "safer" route and just submitted the NYT. Now we know!
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

Whaaaat? I was one of those who submitted ""Toll free 1-800 number" and was very fortunate to get credit. I am just finding out that that was not the complete solution. I did think it ran easy for a Week 5, but I spent so much time with the WSJ Contest puzzle and just took it as a win.

I did pause at the thought of the 1-800 number as an "American institution", but then I tried going backwards. If Matt had intended 1-800 number to be the answer, what prompt would he use? It helps to specify it as American for those outside the US who might not associate 800 with toll free, and 'utility' or 'convenience' doesn't work much better than 'institution'.

This does bring up the interesting constructor's dilemma of how to assure people take all the intended steps in a multi-path meta, when another puzzle could conceivably use only one of the mechanisms.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Katiedid wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:53 pm Wow, so many layers!
I got the 7 numbers, figured it could be a phone number (ring), since it was #800, googled the 800 number and got NY Times. Solved!
I never noticed the DCCC clues, so missed TOLL-FREE, and didn't bother to look up the dial letters for the number so didn't see that it actually spells NYTIMES.
Me too, in every respect. Not sure we even deserved credit for this one (but I'll take it)!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

ZooAnimalsOnWheels wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:19 am Whaaaat? I was one of those who submitted ""Toll free 1-800 number" and was very fortunate to get credit. I am just finding out that that was not the complete solution. I did think it ran easy for a Week 5, but I spent so much time with the WSJ Contest puzzle and just took it as a win.

I did pause at the thought of the 1-800 number as an "American institution", but then I tried going backwards. If Matt had intended 1-800 number to be the answer, what prompt would he use? It helps to specify it as American for those outside the US who might not associate 800 with toll free, and 'utility' or 'convenience' doesn't work much better than 'institution'.

This does bring up the interesting constructor's dilemma of how to assure people take all the intended steps in a multi-path meta, when another puzzle could conceivably use only one of the mechanisms.
I've heard that on anther forum, someone said they even submitted "Verizon" and it was accepted. I mean... I might understand accepting the Bell Telephone Company. But Verizon didn't even become "Verizon" until after 2000 I believe, having been one of the "baby bells," Bell Atlantic, after the breakup of the Bell Telephone system. So "American Institution"?

Take your win if he offered it! It's his sandbox and toys. He can decide who can play with it.