"Game Pieces" - February 21, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
steveb

Post by steveb »

On shore, delayed because I was traveling without access to a printer until this morning.
debbierudy

Post by debbierudy »

Last week's puzzle was such fun, and not too difficult, but I'm really stumped by this one - Isaac, please make it a double!
pookie

Post by pookie »

"And we have three on the ship and 135 on the shore. Closing in our record of 145"
Mr. Cruise Director, I just reached shore! Count me in if we're trying for a record! 8-)
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

count me on shore as well
Kas

Post by Kas »

Perhaps this is one of those weeks where everything just fell into place, but I suspect there will be a lot of right answers.
On shore!!
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

Longtime lurker, first-time muggler (?): On shore and enjoying a Manhattan (up, Maker's Mark), which I know is not exactly a tiki-bar drink, but in a while I won't care.
lusophile

Post by lusophile »

Due to travels didn't get to puzzle until this morning, no problem with grid, but couldn't see a route to an answer until setting it aside for a few hours.
Then an easy route ashore after paying my tab and leaving a generous tip for Isaac.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, a question to those of you who are regular MGWCCers. I have been ruminating over whether I should join, figuring that the Matt I usually see is in the WSJ world and his Metas may be easier there. So I tired the January 31st 2020 (How did you know..) and though initially a little stumped as to where to start I used the title and his clue to get me out of it rather easily. So. my question is; did I simply pick the simplest MGWCC in recent history or is that about usual (some harder, some easier). If that is the case then I'm going all in because I have not been able to abase myself nearly enough with one a week. :?:
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
bobbydeee

Post by bobbydeee »

On shore after a brief detour down a rabbit hole. Clever meta!
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

DrTom wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:19 pm OK, a question to those of you who are regular MGWCCers. I have been ruminating over whether I should join, figuring that the Matt I usually see is in the WSJ world and his Metas may be easier there. So I tired the January 31st 2020 (How did you know..) and though initially a little stumped as to where to start I used the title and his clue to get me out of it rather easily. So. my question is; did I simply pick the simplest MGWCC in recent history or is that about usual (some harder, some easier). If that is the case then I'm going all in because I have not been able to abase myself nearly enough with one a week. :?:
I only joined last November so my history is limited, but I would say that the puzzle you did was an extremely easy end of the month puzzle. The puzzles typically start the month easy and get progressively more difficult. The end of month puzzles are hard, but not impossible. My guess is that you will be glad you signed up if you decide to.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Joe wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:33 pm And the second I posted, I figured out the MGWCC. I've read comments saying that works and I guess it does. Now back to WSJ. Maybe lightning will strike twice!
It (post-enlightenment) only works if you don't need it to. Sounds like a Dumbledore spell, but it’s true.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

DrTom wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:19 pm OK, a question to those of you who are regular MGWCCers. I have been ruminating over whether I should join, figuring that the Matt I usually see is in the WSJ world and his Metas may be easier there. So I tired the January 31st 2020 (How did you know..) and though initially a little stumped as to where to start I used the title and his clue to get me out of it rather easily. So. my question is; did I simply pick the simplest MGWCC in recent history or is that about usual (some harder, some easier). If that is the case then I'm going all in because I have not been able to abase myself nearly enough with one a week. :?:
Go for it Dr. Tom! I usually get the first few weeks of the month and I've gotten a few week fours. Those are typically the hardest. You won't regret it!
Heidi
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

In a typical month, MGWCC has one puzzle easier than that one, one about like that one, and two harder.

Matt put all his January puzzles up on his website, so if you want to see the hardest one, look at
https://xwordcontest.com/downloads/mgwcc608_puzzle.pdf
And another one comparable to the one you did is
https://xwordcontest.com/downloads/mgwcc607_puzzle.pdf

And you should definitely sign up! It's now a month-to-month subscription, so there's not much risk in trying it. If you don't like it, you can always quit.

(Yeah, right, I could quit anytime, it's not like I'm hooked on these:)
Joe

Post by Joe »

Finally on shore. That was a close one. Thanks for your encouragement!
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I just started subscribing this year. Try the Jan. 24 for a 4th week level. It stumped me. You can check out the answer at the website. I figured I can deal with that kind of frustration twice a month.
Jay
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Our final count is 4 on the ship and 145 on the shore.

We had a new muggle since noon. We welcome eagle1279 soaring to the shore

Since noon, Debbie joined the ship's contingent

And making it to shore are
boharr
Katherine
Steve Beck
pookie
bobbydeee
rexthree
Kas
lusophile
eagle1279
and joe

Good luck to all winning the mug.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Made it to shore in the nick of time.
Rufus T. Firefly
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:09 pm Our final count is 4 on the ship and 145 on the shore.
Is that a record?
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Thanks to all my muggle friends! I'll try one of the harder ones and see if I need to get ready for real humiliation or perhaps be able to hone my meta skills. My "pie in the sky" goal is to one day actually construct a meta. I have been trying but it seems almost impossible and I have a MUCH greater respect for those people who do these week after week. I'm sure it gets easier with practice, but I am also sure it is never easy....
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

jhcogan wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:11 pm Solved the grid last night. Now I've been working on the meta, while eating a brunch/lunch of cheese & crackers, homemade soup, and Diet Moxie. I was going to include a photo, but I can't get the file size reduced enough, either 😕
No real luck with the meta.
Going to eat a piece of pie, go for a walk on a relatively warm & sunny February day, and maybe look at the meta again--with something stronger from Issac. I'm not getting the "almost-at-the-solution" vibe this week 😕
Please don't mention cheese and crackers to me. My continuing weight gain is unacceptable, as I have outgrown most of my clothes, so I have cut out my favorite bedtime snack of cheddar cheese and Club Crackers (because the rectangular slices of cheese do not fit as nicely on round Ritz crackers) and a glass of cabernet. Trying to not eat anything after 7:00. Have lost a couple of pounds in a week. Hope it keeps up. I did, however eat cheese and crackers for breakfast yesterday.