"Game Pieces" - February 21, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
BrianDavidson

Post by BrianDavidson »

On shore.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Bird Lives wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:58 am
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:56 am Good morning muggles. The shore is mobbed with 112 muggles there already. And one muggle is keeping Isaac company in the bar.
Just for the sake of record-keeping: I don't know if I'm in the count, but I'm not on the list.
You are now. I got the first part of your response but missed the last part
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

I think I’m on shore...a little different from past puzzles, I’ll say.
Patty

Post by Patty »

Just getting to the puzzle as I had a bicycle accident on Wednesday which ended up requiring surgery and some new hardware😔. Broken write wrist which means everything will be slow going for a while. But someone needs to keep Isaac company while all’y’all are off enjoying the beach. Maybe I will solve in time to catch a tender to shore.
NuYear68

Post by NuYear68 »

Finally found my quiet time this weekend and remembered I hadn't done the puzzle. On shore.
- Paul
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

On the (crowded) shore. I recognize one answer as having been used, for a similar purpose, in another puzzle recently, so somewhat of a giveaway. Still, this was enjoyable.
bunella

Post by bunella »

After having a bad January, I'm pretty sure I'm onshore today with fresh pretzels for all!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Patty wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:53 am Just getting to the puzzle as I had a bicycle accident on Wednesday which ended up requiring surgery and some new hardware😔. Broken write wrist which means everything will be slow going for a while. But someone needs to keep Isaac company while all’y’all are off enjoying the beach. Maybe I will solve in time to catch a tender to shore.
Ouch - hope you recover quickly.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Ann

Post by Ann »

Just dawned on me. Ashore!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

The metas this week (WSJ and MGWCC) are no country for old men. Neither was around when I was a carefree game-playing, snack-eating lad. I'd heard of the game but at MGWCC, even after I'd gotten the letters, I was like "is that really a snack?" and had to Google it to make sure.
Jay
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Patty wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:53 am Just getting to the puzzle as I had a bicycle accident on Wednesday which ended up requiring surgery and some new hardware😔. Broken write wrist which means everything will be slow going for a while. But someone needs to keep Isaac company while all’y’all are off enjoying the beach. Maybe I will solve in time to catch a tender to shore.
Oh no!! Heal well and quickly!
Last edited by hcbirker on Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heidi
Gwyneth_S

Post by Gwyneth_S »

On shore!
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Sorry to hear of your accident. I hope your recovery is smooth and quick!
I'm sure you'll make it to shore with time to spare ;)
jhcogan

Post by jhcogan »

Solved the grid last night. Now I've been working on the meta, while eating a brunch/lunch of cheese & crackers, homemade soup, and Diet Moxie. I was going to include a photo, but I can't get the file size reduced enough, either 😕
No real luck with the meta.
Going to eat a piece of pie, go for a walk on a relatively warm & sunny February day, and maybe look at the meta again--with something stronger from Issac. I'm not getting the "almost-at-the-solution" vibe this week 😕
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

First an apology to all who I missed yesterday. I think I have gotten everyone but let me know

Next we have two new muggles since yesterday Scott R and Oscar on the WSJ comments page

And we have three on the ship and 135 on the shore. Closing in our record of 145

The ship's party settling in for the Celtic-Lakers game is Fishmagik, Patty with her broken arm and jhcogan. Patty, good luck recovering. Several years ago my left thumb was operated on and I nearly put my eye out brushing my teeth with my right hand.

New to the shore (or they were there but I missed them) since yesterday are

Jud
caf.caf
CoffeeFiend21
Geoduck
martin
BarbaraK
matthewmorvec
joes
Carla
asechres
jag
Limerick Savant
Brian
Bird Lives
NuYear68
phofer
Jeanrosz
bunella - about time with the pretzels
Scott T
Ann
Gwyneth
and Oscar

Long odds winning the mug this week.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

I'm trying to remember how I did it, but closing a car door on your own hand is pretty painful (and stupid).
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
boharr

Post by boharr »

on shore
Ksoav

Post by Ksoav »

On shore for the week!
Joe

Post by Joe »

Ugh. And I'd been doing so well this year. I've solved every WSJ contest except one. I've solved every single MGWCC. I'm reading all the comments about how easy both of this week's puzzles are and I've got NOTHING on either one. Like NOTHING. Dear Muggles, if anyone would like to DM a poor benighted fool a tiny hint on either one, I'll buy a round next time you're stuck on the ship. It's lonely here. Isaac's fine and all that, but I'd love to feel sand!
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
Joe

Post by Joe »

And the second I posted, I figured out the MGWCC. I've read comments saying that works and I guess it does. Now back to WSJ. Maybe lightning will strike twice!
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.