MGWCC #798 — “That’s Touching”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

I needed a nudge to get to Nepal. Once there, I found "OH," emailed my thanks to the nudge provider, and submitted my answer on the MGWCC site. Then I got a reply - "you're so close." I muttered something - it may or may not have been "Nepal" - and fished the puzzle out of the recycle bin. Luckily I didn't have to wait too long to learn than my answer was accepted.

But if the answer is not "OH," shouldn't it be "E" to follow the pattern/application of the other themers? NICE minus Nepal, India, China?
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

I needed a nudge on this one. I quickly got the neighboring countries idea, but then threw out the original countries in the grid, thinking I didn't need them anymore. I even looked in the grid and found things like CCR for China-X-Russia and OPS for Oman-X-Saudi Arabia. But all the searching in the grid and clues didn't help complete it with my incomplete data set.

This is one of my favorite things on Sporcle: https://www.sporcle.com/games/Alcas/hin ... iterranean
It's a node map of the world that you have to fill in just based on the borders of countries. The one- and two-border countries are very helpful!
DCBilly

Post by DCBilly »

Good to see OH was accepted - I almost submitted it but a friendly confirmer said, wait don't be so sure about Tibet as a bordering country. Oh,nice.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Bird Lives wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:48 pm May I suggest that all of us who submitted the "other answer," i.e. the one-step-too-short answer, submit videos of ourselves finishing a Matt Gaffney meta and triumphantly shouting, "Nepal!"
That's simply genius! And you could do it on Zoom night.