Enter if you dare!
CromsFury

Harper’s October ‘23 “Theme and Variations”

Post by CromsFury »

The October Maltby is now online!!!
Good Luck and Enjoy!
:ugeek:

Personal Side Note:
The first cryptic that Sondheim did for New York Magazine (April 1968) was a "Theme and Variations" puzzle. I know this because I started working my way through the Stephen Sondheim's Crossword Puzzles book in order this weekend, and just finished that puzzle.
Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo. - Virgil
Quand on lit trop vite où trop doucement, on n'entend rien. - Pascal
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Ohmigosh, thanks for the links to the Sondheim puzzles. I've happened upon several over the years, but this is the mother lode. The new Maltby helped me pass a Monday morning, but these will occupy more than a month of Mondays!
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

This one seemed more straightforward and better clued than most Maltby puzzles. LOL, maybe I am just getting used to them. Thanks to Tom for forwarding this along.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

oldjudge wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:35 pm This one seemed more straightforward and better clued than most Maltby puzzles. LOL, maybe I am just getting used to them. Thanks to Tom for forwarding this along.
Yes, relatively speaking, for a Maltby, I whipped through this one.
Nino

Post by Nino »

Yes, for me, this was one of the quickest solves of a Maltby. The last fill was 26A. With the four crossing downs in place, I then determined the two letters that gave a solution that works with the word play.

However, I don’t know how it works as a definition.

Did others have a similar experience. Did you work it out as a definition?
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

Nino wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:31 am Yes, for me, this was one of the quickest solves of a Maltby. The last fill was 26A. With the four crossing downs in place, I then determined the two letters that gave a solution that works with the word play.

However, I don’t know how it works as a definition.

Did others have a similar experience. Did you work it out as a definition?
I took the definition to be “scruples.” See definition number one — https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/scruple
Nino

Post by Nino »

Thank you very much

(And thank you for placing it under the Spoiler link.)

As it turns out, I had guessed right as to which word was being defined, but I had not consulted that particular online site (which did a much more robust job with that word than the other major online dictionary/thesaurus, which I had checked.)

Thankfully, I can put this puzzle aside now, without having it on my mind until the solution is published weeks from now.