MGWCC #797 — "College Search"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

NOTE: Due to the late post, the deadline for entry this week is Wednesday, September 13th at noon ET.
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

woozy wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:47 am
Huh. Am I going crazy but didn't this have a different title and a different prompt saturday? And wasn't I previously beamed in about #230. Did I loose my 38 weak streak on what I thought was a week one but apparently wasn't?
I can confirm that I don't see your name on this week's Gaffney leaderboard, but I can also confirm that this has been the only current and open thread here this week.

Other than that, your question and confusion is mysterious. Hopefully, you and Matt will be able to work together to figure out what's gone amiss.

::psst:: when we were planning to let Woozy in our insane prank?
woozy

Post by woozy »

The mystery is I saw the heading "college search" and the name didn't ring any bells. I figure that is that I never bothered to notice the title at all while doing the meta. Thats pretty rare as the title usually gives hint.

And somehow I had never noticed the prompt had ever said anything about the answer having nine-letters. I went to my e mail and confirmed that in the email message the was no such stipulations. I was about to comment on that when the pixel fairies showed up and rewrote my email as I was reading it to put that stipulation in.

As for the leaderboard... well when I submitted it was at #237 and it stayed there for hours. Finally about 5 hours later I checked and it had jumped way up to #340. I scrolled up but there where nearly a hundred new entries. I guess I just assumed I was there. Or maybe I briefly saw FB Woolfkill out of the corner of my eye.

What a bloody stupid way to end a near year long streak...
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Imageed.
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

I'm truly sorry for you, because I have been there, and done that. In fact, it has been exactly 12 weeks since I unnecessarily rushed my submission for glare @DrTom 's guest puzzle.

The good news is, that the end of a long streak legitimately relieves the pressure that continues to build until you literally become terrified that you are going to typo your user name, and somehow destroy your streak that way.

Here's to another long and successful Son of Streak.
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

CollegeSearch.png
-Tamara
boharr

Post by boharr »

"....terrified that you are going to typo your user name...."

Did that! Matt forgave me.
woozy

Post by woozy »

boharr wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:52 pm "....terrified that you are going to typo your user name...."

Doubt Matt's going to forgive "Well, somehow I just didn't see that it was supposed to be nine letters and I've often heard the university referred to as 'Ames' and I never really thought to wonder what the actual name of the university was....".

I know I wouldn't forgive that.

(...what a stupid way to end a streak... what a stupid way to end a streak...)
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

boharr wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:52 pm "....terrified that you are going to typo your user name...."

I've seen entries where the username on the list was the meta answer. (That's more than a raised eyebrow, so "non-solo.")