"The Global Marketplace" June 30, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

That song is hilarious Ed!
Heidi
KayW

Post by KayW »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:09 pm
woozy wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:48 pm But why "global"?

And does one usually consider a 7-11 "retail"?

(My opinions: No idea and it confuses me; and not really but it's not technically incorrect. What are your opinions?)
@woozy

7-Eleven Inc is an international company owned by a Japanese conglomerate Seven & I Holdings. 7-Eleven operates or franchises 78,029 stores in 19 countries. In the US, in addition to operating under the meta answer brand, it operates Speedway and Stripes Convenience Stores.

And a retail store is any store which sells directly to the public.
As Bob said, 7-Eleven does operate retail stores worldwide. I thought "Global" might also be a little nudge to help us notice 71-across CHINA (XI). After solving, I wondered if there were any 7-Elevens in China, and there are:

Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Guffman

Post by Guffman »

hcbirker wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:46 pm That song is hilarious Ed!
Paul and Storm have been around for almost 20 years and released 5 quirky -- and funny -- CD's.
"Ten-Finger Johnny" is one of my favorite tunes, but I have others, of course. I may post another
in the future, especially if a puzzle covers the same subject matter.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Guffman wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:32 pm
hcbirker wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:46 pm That song is hilarious Ed!
Paul and Storm have been around for almost 20 years and released 5 quirky -- and funny -- CD's.
"Ten-Finger Johnny" is one of my favorite tunes, but I have others, of course. I may post another
in the future, especially if a puzzle covers the same subject matter.
Paul and Storm are excellent! Check out their old DaVinci's Notebook stuff too!
Gman

Post by Gman »

This was one of my fastest solves ever, and I still ended up number 12 or so on page 1. Either I'm slow, or the first solvers must be getting the meta even before they complete the grid. Perhaps I need to solve the bottom right as a first step?
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

Next week, don't forget 7-11 day (July 11) when 7-Eleven offers complimentary (mini) slurpees

we have been known to visit quite a few stores within reasonable distance that day :D
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

KayW wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:57 pm As Bob said, 7-Eleven does operate retail stores worldwide. I thought "Global" might also be a little nudge to help us notice 71-across CHINA (XI). After solving, I wondered if there were any 7-Elevens in China, and there are:
And any joke you've heard about the overabundance of Starbucks in the United States also applies to 7-Eleven in Japan. They are everywhere in Tokyo.
Laura M wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:49 pm Paul and Storm are excellent! Check out their old DaVinci's Notebook stuff too!
I've had the pleasure to see them a couple of times on the JoCo Cruise, where even though it bears Jonathan Coulton's name, Paul and Storm pretty much serve as the emcees for the week. They are very funny guys.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Gman wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:20 am Perhaps I need to solve the bottom right as a first step?
Also center of grid both DOWN and ACROSS.
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

The contest answer is 7-ELEVEN. As hinted by the clue at 71-Across, the theme answers contain seven instances of the Roman numeral XI, suggesting the contest answer.

Thank you Barbara for guiding newcomers below!

We had a barnburner turnout this week! 2,769 entries, with 85% correct, above our usual rate of 75%. Among incorrect entries, we had big turnouts for TJ MAXX (95) and TARGET (63), plus ALIBABA (29), WALMART (18), and many others.

Congrats to this week's winner, Gail Engstrom of St. Paul, Minn. And happy Fourth to all!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Just want to clarify that Mike’s comment referred to a post I made on the WSJ site. There are tons of people who guide newcomers here on the muggle board. 🙂
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
boharr

Post by boharr »

BarbaraK wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:41 am Just want to clarify that Mike’s comment referred to a post I made on the WSJ site. There are tons of people who guide newcomers here on the muggle board. 🙂
Maybe. But few do it so well as you.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

boharr wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:57 am
BarbaraK wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:41 am Just want to clarify that Mike’s comment referred to a post I made on the WSJ site. There are tons of people who guide newcomers here on the muggle board. 🙂
Maybe. But few do it so well as you.
Aww! You're very kind, but I beg to differ.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:22 am The contest answer is 7-ELEVEN. As hinted by the clue at 71-Across, the theme answers contain seven instances of the Roman numeral XI, suggesting the contest answer.

Thank you Barbara for guiding newcomers below!

We had a barnburner turnout this week! 2,769 entries, with 85% correct, above our usual rate of 75%. Among incorrect entries, we had big turnouts for TJ MAXX (95) and TARGET (63), plus ALIBABA (29), WALMART (18), and many others.

Congrats to this week's winner, Gail Engstrom of St. Paul, Minn. And happy Fourth to all!
Finally a Minnesotan won the mug! I was beginning to think this contest was rigged!
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

Done, and done a minute later, on Friday. Somehow this one came to me quite quickly. I noticed a lot of x's during the grid solve, then when I saw 71A's clue, and made the count, I was home free.

Wonder if there were any Mexican solvers.

PieComic13Mod.png

TFTXWD
Craven_Mug_Craver

Post by Craven_Mug_Craver »

OGuyDave wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:09 pm Done, and done a minute later, on Friday. Somehow this one came to me quite quickly. I noticed a lot of x's during the grid solve, then when I saw 71A's clue, and made the count, I was home free.

Wonder if there were any Mexican solvers.

PieComic13Mod.png

TFTXWD
I used to solve when I lived in Barcelona. Surely there are solvers in México.
---

Grids are easy...metas are hard.
Craven_Mug_Craver

Post by Craven_Mug_Craver »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:22 am

And this is why I can't have nice things...like mugs!! And yet carry on I must...

:shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :o :o
---

Grids are easy...metas are hard.
Kas

Post by Kas »

LizD wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:44 am
Kas wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:33 pm Just returned late last night/early this morning from a lovely two-week visit to the Old Family Homestead in the North Carolina Smoky Mountains...
Whereabouts? I live in western NC!
Hi, LizD! Sorry--just saw your post--the family is from Todd, North Carolina--nestled between the booming metropolis of Boone and greater West Jefferson metroplex region, lol.