MGWCC #790 — “To What Lengths Will You Go?”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

MikeyG wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:51 pm Now featuring...Mike and the Birds!

Future Meta?
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Submitted.

Beamed.

226. Joe Ross 07/24 - 15:01
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

I'm awaiting beam up on this one. Fun, and I feel fortunate to have gotten there without much anguish.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Well now that I am done staring at WSJCC a for hours with nothing to show for it I got a look at this and my consolation was getting a week 3. Clever.

Beamed.

Stay well all
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HoldThatThought wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:51 pm ... that may not have already been responded to, and, of course, we have a few resident wits, who are always worth a read (okay, not always).
Hey, I resemble that remark!!!! :lol:
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Crossposting from Fiend:

I loved it and found it very clever and a solid Week 3.

My in was maybe not intended. I thought the clue for OREOS was absolutely hilarious, almost commentary on, “Well, we’ve been including OREOS in crosswords for decades; how ridiculous can I make this clue?” But then other weird rustlings seemed off in the puzzle, although I’m not sure what I was picking up on. Then I realized, “Oh wait a minute, I bet that OREOS clue was intentional.” And it fell from there.

I pulled it off in 11 minutes, though I’m still in awe at the big two, whose combined times still beat mine.

Bring on Week 4! (I say that now.)
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
ajk

Post by ajk »

I very quickly spotted the 15 clues, set off by a similar "that OREOS clue is fun...hey wait a minute" path. The YES and LEO clues also jumped out, and it was off to the races from there.

But then somehow I got hung up on the extraction mechanism, which in retrospect I don't understand (how I got stuck that is). Seems like the most natural thing in the world to then take the first letters of the entries, but I think I got hung up on numbers. So I was looking at those numbered boxes in the grid, positions in the alphabet, etc. Fortunately a kindly nudger pointed out the obvious alternative. :)
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

I thought Matt did a great job of camouflaging this. I assumed the long clues were either obfuscation (Columbia launcher), creative (Dichromatic delectables), or just jocularly using long words to clue a 3-letter answer (Mediterranean configuration). It was YES being in the center of the grid that caused me to take a second look at its clue, where affirmativeness may have been the most clunky word used in the meta, and count the letters.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Weird thing is I didn't really find the weird clues that weird. I actually found the clues for LIBERATED (more free than what?) and STEP ON to be weirder. But I thought the clue "K.G---" clues was kind of strange as Chesterton (as opposed to say H.G. Wells or D.H. Lawrence) just didn't strike me as a household enough name to be casually recognized by initials (although I did). I was kind of screaming for nudges and had to be told that a) yes, my idea about word lengths was a good one and b) for the fifth time, look for weird clues and c) Yeah, my observation about the CHESTERTON clue was valid and then I still had to bang my head against a wall until I noticed BE IN and GEOPOLITICAL ABBREVIATION.

Did anyone note MAKE MORE FREE fits the pattern but with three rather than two words?
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
KayW

Post by KayW »

woozy wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:58 pm
Did anyone note MAKE MORE FREE fits the pattern but with three rather than two words?
I did. And assUme-d Matt threw in the awkward MORE to take that clue out of contention.

My distractions for DAYS were the 10 U's in the grid. Plus the 4, 5, or 6 YOU's in the clues (depending on whether or not you included "crush with YOUr cleats" or the Spanish "tu"). A veritable "U-MASS", so to speak. That led absolutely nowhere. :confounded:
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
woozy

Post by woozy »

KayW wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:34 pm

My distractions for DAYS were the 10 U's in the grid. Plus the 4, 5, or 6 YOU's in the clues (depending on whether or not you included "crush with YOUr cleats" or the Spanish "tu"). A veritable "U-MASS", so to speak. That led absolutely nowhere. :confounded:
Oog! Don't remind me!
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
MMe

Post by MMe »

KayW wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:34 pm My distractions for DAYS were the 10 U's in the grid. Plus the 4, 5, or 6 YOU's in the clues (depending on whether or not you included "crush with YOUr cleats" or the Spanish "tu"). A veritable "U-MASS", so to speak. That led absolutely nowhere. :confounded:
And the U's form an oval that looks obviously intentional.