Mixed Doubles by Patrick Berry

A place for discussion about variety puzzles such as acrostics, marching bands, rows and gardens, and diagramless.
Wendy Walker

Mixed Doubles by Patrick Berry

Post by Wendy Walker »

https://s.wsj.net/public/resources/docu ... 222023.pdf

I haven't done one of these for quite a while! Really fun.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Just did this one on Saturday morning. Too early in the day to partake of the answer. But this evening? Certainly!

Another very fun Patrick Berry opus.
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

So much fun, as one would expect from a Patrick Berry creation.
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

Another fun PB puzzle!
Lisa

Post by Lisa »

This is our first stab at this type of puzzle. We have the grid all filled in but don’t understand the final direction. Can anyone help?
Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Ok—we hacked our way through trying every order BUT the right one. Then Don’s eye for the subject matter straightened us out. 😁 Thanks!

Lisa and Don
KayW

Post by KayW »

Another brilliant Patrick Berry creation!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Barney

Post by Barney »

Lisa wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:46 pm This is our first stab at this type of puzzle. We have the grid all filled in but don’t understand the final direction. Can anyone help?
Got the puzzle relatively easily, but can’t fathom this bit at all.
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Enjoyed this one, although that was a nasty little natick in the lower left corner. Not all that up to speed on mathmatics prizes or BBC drama series, I'm afraid.
Matthew
Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Barney wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:35 am
Lisa wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:46 pm This is our first stab at this type of puzzle. We have the grid all filled in but don’t understand the final direction. Can anyone help?
What helped us is to write all the double letters (but only singles, so if for instance you had “ZZ” in column 2, write one Z above the label for column 2) above the numbers of the columns. Write one row for the across letters, and below it write another row (yes, a horizontal row) for the down letters. I’m still not sure how that corresponds to the puzzle instructions, but it definitely put us at the right answer.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Thank you Patrick. Another puzzle that is not too easy, but infinitely doable.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Barney

Post by Barney »

Lisa wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:36 pm
Barney wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:35 am
What helped us is to write all the double letters (but only singles, so if for instance you had “ZZ” in column 2, write one Z above the label for column 2) above the numbers of the columns. Write one row for the across letters, and below it write another row (yes, a horizontal row) for the down letters. I’m still not sure how that corresponds to the puzzle instructions, but it definitely put us at the right answer.
Thanks for trying

Guess I’ll wait to see the solution next week

All I have is gibberish