"Go West" July 14, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

Yoda66 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:43 pm
CromsFury wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:35 pm
DBMiller wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:08 pm
Are these mail messages? Does your mail client allow you to search for mails that contain a specific subject?

If you can search for UTAH, then search for both UTAH and CHAT, just subtract the count of the latter from the former. (CHAT catches both "CHATUP" and "CHAT UP")

Doesn't help if one is in the subject and the other in the body. But there might be other searches that would work.

But since we are directed to e-mail our answer "in the subject line," is should not matter what is in the body. Right?
:ugeek:
DB - scratching my head as well since a simple database import (even using MSFT Access) should allow them to do so and then filter out accordingly
Don't forget, not everyone submits via email. There is the SUBMIT link on the puzzle page as well.
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

Not surprised that the Muggles' database skills are greater than mine!
Yes, some follow the instructions to put the answer in the subject line, others do not and we are merciful about that.
I'm sure there was a database program that would address the particular challenges of coming up with separate counts for UTAH, CHATUP and both, though in this case we had many UTAHs that cited CHAT UP (or CHATUP, we saw both) in the email by way of explanation. Others that said, it could be one or the other, I'll pick xx. And many variations of this!
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

And... belated congrats to this week's winner (team UTAH): Kristen Waarala of Canton, Mich.!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:23 am Not surprised that the Muggles' database skills are greater than mine!
Yes, some follow the instructions to put the answer in the subject line, others do not and we are merciful about that.
I'm sure there was a database program that would address the particular challenges of coming up with separate counts for UTAH, CHATUP and both, though in this case we had many UTAHs that cited CHAT UP (or CHATUP, we saw both) in the email by way of explanation. Others that said, it could be one or the other, I'll pick xx. And many variations of this!
@MikeMillerwsj: Thank you & your team, including Mike Shenk & @MattGaffney, for the obvious fun you provide us. Even the most controversial, derided, & decrypted contest crosswords provide a ton of fun for us muggles.

No matter how hurt, befuddled, or bruised, we all look forward to the following Thursday's WSJCC drop. We'll commence solving, cursing, & crying at 4 PM ET.