"Continuing Education" - February 7, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Cindy wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:53 pm Solved. Hello all from Matthews and Charlotte NC where we do not have tornadoes in the city. But Thursday we did and it passed right over my house. We have no damage at all but there are trees through homes and buildings destroyed very close by. For those of you who live in tornado prove areas, I don’t know how you do it. We’ve been without power since Thursday.

And as I am typing it is now snowing. Also something we only see once a year or so.

And for those of you who are wondering how my floors turned out they are beautiful. I am waiting for the movers to finish putting my furniture back in place as we speak.
Tornadoes in Charlotte?! In February?!!

This shocked me so much I spilled my wine! (Fortunately there wasn’t much left:)

Glad your house, with its new floors, is OK!

Stay warm!
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Count me on the ship. Probably won't have time to pursue further this weekend. Pouring here and have to pack. Just a dreary day.
Rufus T. Firefly
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

On shore - I think. I wonder if there is a pageant, and I also see a second plausible answer.

Anyway, it’s nice to at least find the meta after a few weeks with Isaac. I NEVER get the ones that have numbers in parentheses. It’s just hopeless and I don’t even try anymore!
Lucas S

Post by Lucas S »

I submitted an answer that I’m 95% sure is correct. Right or not, my Sunday is now freed up to watch the final round of Pebble Beach stress free!
AnnP

Post by AnnP »

On shore. I thought the grid was nicely challenging and the meta a pleasant relief after struggling the past couple weeks.
jag

Post by jag »

Ashore! I was stymied for too long by a one-character mistake that.
This is a 100%-er to me - I'll be interested in the alternative approaches that others have found!
Last edited by jag on Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

Count me on shore. I submitted an answer that as others have noted leaves a tiny bit of uncertainty, but I believe I'm just over thinking it.
ccmac

Post by ccmac »

On shore! Took me a while to see it but I’m pretty sure I have the right answer.
burak

Post by burak »

Ashore. I'm certain of my answer, but I'm not certain about why it is my answer.
Limerick Savant

Post by Limerick Savant »

The meta was surely the pits
Man, I really must pick a few nits
Though I think I’m ashore
It could be either or...
That you see it’s still giving me fits!
Last edited by Limerick Savant on Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dedicated to no nonsense nonsense
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

JoeS wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:28 pm On shore. Started doing these 4 weeks ago and finally got a correct answer.
Congratulations and welcome to the clan. Good luck winning the mug.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
DaveKennison

Post by DaveKennison »

On shore, but count me with the trepidatious crowd. At least I had time to do this one and come up with an answer, but I have little time to ponder alternatives, as I’m spending many hours a day preparing for an upcoming move. Why did I have to be born a pack rat?!? 😳
grwinski

Post by grwinski »

Well, we submitted. Still not sure if we're on the right shore or not. Looking forward to seeing the solution, and the comments from others.

Rita and George
Omnibus

Post by Omnibus »

Ashore for the first time in weeks. Good puzzle.
LaceyK

Post by LaceyK »

I'm still on the ship. Will look at the puzzle with fresh eyes again today. Troubled that it seems to be an easy one and I haven't seen it yet. I've worked a lot of leads that end in nonsense.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday morning fellow muggles

We have a steady progression to shore and Isaac is getting lonely. Currently we have 5 on the ship and 128 on the shore

And we welcome our two newest muggles: Joe S and Omnibus. We now have 539 in our muggle clan

new to the ship since yesterday are Tom S, Mark C and LaceyK

And getting to the shore are:
ImOnToo
Nancy L
susan f
Janet P
Colin
Jacksull
Ann P
Burak
Cindy with her brand new floors
jag
Billkatz
Commodore
Softie
ccmac
damefox with her reservations
Joedbee
Lucas
Olaf
Limerick Savant
joe s
Laura M
David K
and Omnibus

Good luck to all. Hope that a muggle wins the elusive mug for a second week in a row.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
jhcogan

Post by jhcogan »

Solved the grid off & on during Saturday, after the big Northeast snowstorm. Had help for lots of the crossword. Working on the meta this morning, but will give up. I see hints, but now that it's noon, I'm staying staying on the ship this time.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Cindy wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:53 pm Solved. Hello all from Matthews and Charlotte NC where we do not have tornadoes in the city. But Thursday we did and it passed right over my house. We have no damage at all but there are trees through homes and buildings destroyed very close by. For those of you who live in tornado prove areas, I don’t know how you do it. We’ve been without power since Thursday.

And as I am typing it is now snowing. Also something we only see once a year or so.
This fall my older son will move to NC for a position at UNC-Greensboro, and we'll be visiting him and his wife (and their pooch -- and, who knows, maybe someday, grandchildren) often. Remind me not to visit during tornado/snow season! (Good to hear, Cindy, that you and your home are well!)
john day

Post by john day »

I'm ashore. My daughter and I worked together and she actually came up with the meta. We're off to have a pint!
LaceyK

Post by LaceyK »

Fresh eyes did the trick. Ashore! Understand the confusion.
I have only been doing metas a couple months now. It seems that I have accumulated so many ways of looking for clues, that I actually follow more false leads with each new puzzle. Is this something others have gone through? Do you start being able to recognize red herrings more and know to stay away?