Games World of Puzzles

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
FrankieHeck

Games World of Puzzles

Post by FrankieHeck »

So excited! I got a subscription to this magazine for Christmas, and I just got my first issue today. I used to love Games magazine ages ago. The "Fill Me In" podcast guys were talking about it when I listened yesterday, and it reminded me that I still hadn't gotten it. So I just had to share my excitement with someone. Mailbox goodies are just the best. I can't imagine how all you mug winners can stand the excitment. :D
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Visiting my dad for a few days and he just gave me a stack of my mom's old Games magazines. About 1979 to 1985. If you don't see me.around for a while, you'll know why!
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Yes... my mom was a puzzler; we got a GAMES subscription in 1979 and she/we stayed with them for...years. Maybe until they stopped publishing? I don't even remember when that would be. I discovered that GAMES WofP existed some years ago on one of the library apps that let you read magazines on your PC/tablet and have subscribed for the past 4 or 5 years now.

I think a fair amount about stuff they did that just wouldn't work in the internet era - Calculatrivia could be done online by a team of 5 college freshmen in 20 minutes; the Scavenger Hunt contests are basically just "Google a bunch of stuff" in 2020.

Probably my #1 ask for the new version of the magazine would be to run a Hidden Contest once in a while... those were kind of the pre-meta metas, where you'd be searching for *something* but you didn't know exactly what for, or where it would be. Some you'd find in 10 minutes and others only when they revealed the answer in a future issue.
C=64

Post by C=64 »

MikeM000 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:58 pm Probably my #1 ask for the new version of the magazine would be to run a Hidden Contest once in a while... those were kind of the pre-meta metas, where you'd be searching for *something* but you didn't know exactly what for, or where it would be. Some you'd find in 10 minutes and others only when they revealed the answer in a future issue.
I LOVED looking for the Hidden Contest and the Fake Ad, but being 10 years old meant that I was not that great at finding them.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

C=64 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:43 pm
I LOVED looking for the Hidden Contest and the Fake Ad, but being 10 years old meant that I was not that great at finding them.
I concur! Being 11 and finding a fake ad: OH MAN THIS IS SO COOL! (5 second pause...) Oh wait....

And yes, the hidden contests where they'd, say, border a couple pages in dots and dashes that actually spelled something out in morse code were never to be found...
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Yeah, loved Hidden Contests, Calcutrivia and the April fool's issues.