MGWCC #782 — “Hear, Here!”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
KayW

Post by KayW »

I was absolutely stuck on finding words that sounded alike when recited - doing a visual word search based on spelling never entered my brain. Until assisted by a kindly whack with a too-buy-fore.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Was any one else bothered by the title referring to "hear" and you most certainly don't hear the homophones in the long answers?

This was a tough one because if it didn't occur to you to limit the clue homophones only to the last word of the clue there are too many instances of "you" "to" "for" etc that it'd be impossible to weed out. The answer being "echo" explains why you limit to the last word is spelled out but that requires you know the answer before you can solve. Also finding some homophones to some words in clues seems a fairly weak connection and even spelling a legitimate but arbitrary word echo might feel like it could be coincidence. But once you catch that, yes, it is always a last word and in the long entries the homophones occur *twice* (weirdly, I found all the hard homophones before the easy ones in the entries) and "echo" reflects the last word repeating... repeating... rieewing it locks in conformation a dozen ways to easter.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
woozy

Post by woozy »

"Notice that each of the four theme entries conceals a pair of homophones"

Oh.... well...

I guess as noticing that each entry had two homophones was the last thing I noticed (and I only noticed it a half hour after submitting the correct answer and after being five pms in conversation with another muggle) I never thought to deal with with the meta that way. That... would have been very straight forward and lead directly to the answer. Instead finding the homophones in the clues first and then looking for the homophones in the long entries made solving as tenuous as cobwebs.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
SJMcK

Post by SJMcK »

I like that two of the ECHO words were HAUL & OATS. I wonder if that was an intentional homophone easter egg,

Steven McKinney
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Ooops... Previous message on wrong thread

this one we got under our own steam but didn't see the second homophone in the themers until after the reveal. A win is a win though!
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)