Aries Meta: "First-Class" 1.30.2020

Discuss meta crosswords from sources other than those listed above.
ChrisKochmanski

Aries Meta: "First-Class" 1.30.2020

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

If you're not familiar with Andrew Ries's puzzles, you're in for a treat. He'll occasionally post a free Rows Garden, cryptic, themed crossword, or plain ol' crossword, while pitching subscriptions to his service. (I feel like I'm over-subscribed, so I haven't bitten quite yet.)

Andrew just posted a fun meta. Here's the link: https://www.ariespuzzles.com/

Andrew describes it as a 4 on the Gaffney scale, but I'd assess it a bit easier. Something like a 3.5.

I got it faster than this week's WSJCC -- "Parting the Waters" by Matt G. -- but then again, maybe Matt's puzzle just got me warmed up for meta-ing.

I hope Andrew R. metas more!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Thanks for the post. I wouldn't have come across it otherwise. I got it faster than the WSJ today, too, but I enjoyed it!
Hector

Post by Hector »

This one took me a while; glad to have had a puzzle to work on after the unexpectedly quick MGWCC. A little creaky in a couple of spots, maybe, but fun.
LesY

Post by LesY »

Fun puzzle! More like a 3-3.25 IMO, but I look forward to seeing more of his metas. Agree with Hector about 1-2 creaky spots.
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed it.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Totally clueless! The fact that so many got it pretty fast means I am overthinking. I’ve been down some interesting tunnels, though.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I've been working on this one, but not getting anywhere. I usually like the ones with stars to tell me exactly where I should be looking! I guess I still have some more time before the deadline so maybe I'll see it eventually... This and PGWCC are keeping me humble this week :-)

Update: Finally got this one! I agree with the Week 3-ish difficulty assessment even though it took me so long (that was just me being dense).
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Finally figured this one out. Took me way too long for such a nice straight forward meta.
Meg

Post by Meg »

BarbaraK wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:34 pm Finally figured this one out. Took me way too long for such a nice straight forward meta.
Straightforward??? I am STILL clueless! Here’s hoping for post-enlightenment.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I'm still clueless as well! But I haven't spent a lot of time on it. Too busy with life in general.
Heidi
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Wow, only 26 correct submissions, and still the winner was not a muggle. (Unless it’s someone with a screen name that I didn’t connect?)

I enjoyed this one. Thanks Chris for telling us about it.
LesY

Post by LesY »

Even with such short odds still no win. Alas! Will keep trying....
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

BarbaraK wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:59 pm Wow, only 26 correct submissions, and still the winner was not a muggle. (Unless it’s someone with a screen name that I didn’t connect?)

Where did you see the final summary?
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Al Sisti wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:44 am
BarbaraK wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:59 pm Wow, only 26 correct submissions, and still the winner was not a muggle. (Unless it’s someone with a screen name that I didn’t connect?)

Where did you see the final summary?
The same link Chris posted above. Last week’s results are in the post with this week’s (non-meta) puzzle.