MGWCC #777 — Sunday, April 23rd, 2023 “It’s Integral to the Clue”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
ricky

Post by ricky »

Had to throw a Hail Mary. Pretty sure it was wrong. This was a red herring fest.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

This one isn't happening for me. Just not seeing it. Well, I'm seeing a lot of things. Just that none of them seem to go anywhere. And tired of looking. Plus, with all the comments indicating how hard it is, and the need for multiple nudges, I doubt I deserve to get this one.

Which is fine. It would certainly take the pressure off me to solve next week just for the sake of a streak! If I want a streak, I'll run naked through the neighborhood.
MMe

Post by MMe »

So the deadline has passed. What was the mechanism?
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Integral_table.png
Integral_grid.png
-Tamara
ajk

Post by ajk »

During one of the Discord group solves the idea was posted that File Examiner could take an X to clue 68A (nudge 1). I confess that initially I dismissed that as too obscure, and it was only after a later post highlighted that it was useful that I came back to it. :lol:

After looking through the rest I identified that 1D could take an I, but then I got stuck, because I was looking at single letters. I then got an extremely good second nudge, to think about *why* Van got the I and File got the X. I pretty quickly hit on the Roman numeral angle, and then...promptly dismissed it. :lol:

Again, too focused on single letters. But a few minutes later I hit on 4D and the light bulb finally went off. Even then it took me about 5 extra minutes to find the last two, even though I knew they would need to clue 29D and 82A, because I wasn't looking high enough on the Roman numeral list.

This was fun to work out, but I don't think I'd ever have been anywhere close without the initial nudge!
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Now I don't feel badly about not getting it.
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

This was a tricky one! I thought about the clue numbers as being the 'it' that was integral to the clue, but I didn't think of using Roman numerals. It didn't help that adding 'One' to 'van of note' could give you EVAN, which was in the grid. The 'Ory' and 'Ely' clues certainly stuck out, but 'Iga' acted as camouflage for me.

I was amused that if you removed IT from the three grid answers which contained it, you got ATE UP THERE MAN.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

This was one of those “never in a million years” metas, but I’m still stunned at the creativity.
KayW

Post by KayW »

My solve was complicated by the fact that among my first themers I found S-CAR'S (Lion King bad guy) PLACE = ABYSSINIA (hey, it's the right continent). So I needed a gentle 2 by 4 to the head to redirect away from that one towards Roman numerals.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
oggy

Post by oggy »

Bird Lives wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:55 pm The oldest trick in the book...
Granted it would've come more naturally back in Caesar's day.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

HunterX wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:22 pm Now I don't feel badly about not getting it.
ditto
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.