"Crosswords Rock!" - April 12, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
dmorack

Post by dmorack »

On shore. It's been a long time since I have used the solution to the meta to complete the puzzle fill. I did like the meta construction.

I'm "Doug M" on the MGWCC and on the WSJCC comments (I believe).
Last edited by dmorack on Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Doug Morack
sheilaco

Post by sheilaco »

I'm now on shore. Also, the comments on WSJ are now back.
TMart

Post by TMart »

Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:55 pm Hello - for my sanity (what little there is), if your screen name is not obvious, could you either send it to me off line or somehow help me associate it is with the list I have from the WSJ.

Thanks
Hi Bob - thanks for continuing as cruise director. TMart is Tom Marturano - (probaby obvious and not very creative).
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

On shore. Good one.

I'm posting to both places for now. My username here is just my name, same as on WSJCC, but without the space between first and last.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

I think I have it, but I'm not feeling as strong a click as most seem to be. I got burned earlier this year and blew a 28-week streak by submitting too early, so I think I'll chew on it for a while longer.
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

CROSSWORDS ROCK! The title says it all. On shore.
Nice editing tools they have here.
Meg

Post by Meg »

OK, I’ve made it to the shore. Not my finest solve.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
sheilaco

Post by sheilaco »

I'm on shore.
BethA

Post by BethA »

On the beach...finally. 🏖 🍹

Took too long! More than it should have. Brain latched on to a wrong tack, and wouldn’t let go. Stepped away for a bit, and with a fresh start, got it it in a minute!

So happy to see so many here!
LesY

Post by LesY »

Solved and ashore! I forgot to report for duty over here, and am thrilled to see Mr. Sisti in the pole position where he belongs.

To Bob Cruise Director — I’m Les Yonce over on WSJ. Just shortened it to LesY on this site.

And I show up as CrimsonHoo on MGWCC and MMMM. (Yes, those Hoos - this has been one of the best weeks of our lives! Can’t stop smiling!)
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

FrankieHeck wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:54 pm Solved! Only my fourth WSJ meta attempted, and the second solved (I hope.) Quick question for you long-timers...does the difficulty of the puzzles stay about the same, or should I expect them to get harder each week?
Congratulations! There will be harder puzzles than this and easier ones too. There's no pattern to the difficulty of the WSJ puzzles; hard or easy ones can turn up any time.

When people here talk about easy week 1 or hard week 4, they're talking about Matt Gaffney's MGWCC subscription puzzles; those do start every month easy and get harder week by week.If you want to give them a try, you can get a month free at https://www.mgwcc.com/sample.htm
Hector

Post by Hector »

Fast and pleasant solve.
31 Down

Post by 31 Down »

Aah...cocktails. Those were the days. Solved and now rewarding myself with a stiff shot of coffee latte Ensure.

Bob - please track me as Tom W.
Thomas W (since there's already a Tom W)
Abide

Post by Abide »

⬆️Mike Miller is a class act!

Took about 30 minutes to figure out the meta. I found a great Isaac page at https://vinepair.com/articles/50-most-p ... orld-2017/
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Sean

Post by Sean »

On shore. And happy for the new digs here.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Nice, easy meta. Tougher grid. I had this one figured out before I had the grid completed.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:55 pm Hello - for my sanity (what little there is), if your screen name is not obvious, could you either send it to me off line or somehow help me associate it is with the list I have from the WSJ.

Thanks
Robert, I was (Cynthia) on the WSJ site. I am CPJohnson here. Thanks for all you do.
Cynthia
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Solved. Robert, I will post my successes or failures on this site.
Cynthia
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

BarbaraK wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:45 pm
FrankieHeck wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:54 pm Solved! Only my fourth WSJ meta attempted, and the second solved (I hope.) Quick question for you long-timers...does the difficulty of the puzzles stay about the same, or should I expect them to get harder each week?
Congratulations! There will be harder puzzles than this and easier ones too. There's no pattern to the difficulty of the WSJ puzzles; hard or easy ones can turn up any time.

When people here talk about easy week 1 or hard week 4, they're talking about Matt Gaffney's MGWCC subscription puzzles; those do start every month easy and get harder week by week.If you want to give them a try, you can get a month free at https://www.mgwcc.com/sample.htm
Thanks, Barbara! I did try a free month of the MGWCC. I think I figured out the first two that month, but wouldn't have figured out the other two if my life depended on it. I thought I'd try to give myself some more meta experience before I torture myself again. But maybe that can be my Mother's Day gift this year. :D I'm glad to hear the WSJ doesn't have a pattern. I like to think I have a chance all month long.
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

FWIW, I was able to post a comment on the WSJ site even though I am not a paid subscriber. Will check later to see if it still appears on the list. Also, on shore with the appropriate beverage in a to-go cup!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!