Emoji/Wordle Square Display Problem?

A place to ask and answer questions about how to use the forum.
KayW

Emoji/Wordle Square Display Problem?

Post by KayW »

Does anyone know what is causing this recent problem and if it is going to be resolved?

Sample below - can you see these images properly?
Wordle 585 4/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜🟩
⬜🟩⬜⬜🟩
⬜🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

🐈‍⬛

Here's how it breaks down for me, based on the browsers I currently have installed on my devices (Windows 11 PC, iPhone iOS 16)

Works:
Windows 11: Firefox
iPhone iOS16: Safari

Doesn't work:
Windows 11: Edge
iPhone iOS16: Firefox, Chrome, DuckDuckGo

It's interesting to me that Firefox works on Windows but not on iOS.

I realize this is (probably) not a problem specific to our forum, but I haven't even been able to find anything about this issue on the interwebs. But that might be because I don't know how to phrase the search properly.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
KayW

Post by KayW »

I think WORDLE posters notice this most early and often.

My workaround has been to use the two browser combos that (knock wood!!!) are still working for me for the forum. To make it easier for those who might not have a working combo, I've been taking screenshots of the "good browser" image preview and then uploading that, rather than just posting the WORDLE share text directly.

I hope that description of what I do is understandable. Does anyone else have any easier or better solutions?
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
flyingMoose

Post by flyingMoose »

NO:
iMac, macOS10: Chrome, Safari, Firefox (different bogus symbols for each)
MacBookAir, macOS12: Safari, Chrome(?) (I think I tried Chrome and then deleted it, but I don't care to recheck)

YES:
iPad, iPadOS 14: Safari
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

On Firefox, for me:

Color Blocks Displayed on Firefox.png
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Edge phone browser on android (PC is similar):

Resized_Screenshot_2023-01-262716656394768904168_35085669166511.jpeg
Abide

Post by Abide »

I blame the New York Times
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Abide wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:52 pm I blame the New York Times
I don't think this is a Times issue.

It could be tied to browser security, I'm guessing, since all browsers started reacting differently on the same day to the standard that ruled showing these color blocks. I can't imagine anything other than security being the problem.

It could be tied to a text standards battle being fought with Apple. Possibly an ultimatum's deadline passed and the rest of the world enacted standards Apple was refusing to incorporate?

To be clear: I am dangerously ignorant about these issues, which is made worse because I've read a half dozen headlines about this in the past 6 months, then read the first third of one or two of those articles. You cannot spell "useless conjecture" without j, o, e, r, & s.

There is a lot of expert knowledge amongst muggles. Who knows? Spill, please.
Abide

Post by Abide »

I was kidding. I really blame @BrianMac

[again, kidding]
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
vandono

Post by vandono »

i previewed my post on wordle II and it had the broken image things. i played around a bit and found that if i used the full editor and disabled smilies then it displayed correctly.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

It seems there was a change to the phpBB Code, which this site uses.

Until an update to that code arrives, it's up to posters on this site to show the color blocks properly. In Full Editor & Preview posting mode, check the Disable smilies box.

color blocks posting workaround.png