#605 - "Mystery Movie"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Hector

#605 - "Mystery Movie"

Post by Hector »

This week’s contest answer is a Spike Lee movie that should be in this grid, but isn’t.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Definite week 1.
TMart

Post by TMart »

Easy Gaffney week all around.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Quickly done, but that one actually made me a little nervous. (As any metas involving movies, sports, or numbers do.)
damefox

Post by damefox »

Got it. Easy week 1, even though I had to do a little googling.

I have a question for those of you who have already made the switch to Patreon: how does the payment system work? Specifically, as each plan is an amount per month, do you pay one lump sum for a specific number of months, or do you have to do a recurring payment every month? (I did attempt to ask Matt this in my response to last week's contest and was hoping it would be addressed on the post today, but perhaps he didn't see my question.)
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beam me up!
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Done. Definitely a week 1.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Beam me up! I actually saw this movie when it came out.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Perfect week 1!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

damefox wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:48 pm Got it. Easy week 1, even though I had to do a little googling.

I have a question for those of you who have already made the switch to Patreon: how does the payment system work? Specifically, as each plan is an amount per month, do you pay one lump sum for a specific number of months, or do you have to do a recurring payment every month? (I did attempt to ask Matt this in my response to last week's contest and was hoping it would be addressed on the post today, but perhaps he didn't see my question.)
You are given three options for a monthly subscription, depending on how generous you would like to be. He includes some swag with the higher amounts. I used Pay Pal.
Heidi
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Beam me up!
Heidi
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Beam me up. I liked the puzzle and thought the meta had some challenge to it. I still shake my head in amazement at those who solve it in five minutes. This one went very quick for me, but it was still 15 minutes from start to epiphany.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

damefox wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:48 pm I have a question for those of you who have already made the switch to Patreon: how does the payment system work? Specifically, as each plan is an amount per month, do you pay one lump sum for a specific number of months, or do you have to do a recurring payment every month?
I didn't see a way to do a lump payment, it looks like your credit card (or PayPal) will be automatically billed every month unless you stop it. Since I have time remaining on my current subscription, it would be nice if there were a way to have it charge only after the remaining months are used up, but I don't think there's a way to do that. I think I'll have to turn off billing after February and try to remember to turn it back on in time to not miss any...
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Laura M wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:06 pm
damefox wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:48 pm I have a question for those of you who have already made the switch to Patreon: how does the payment system work? Specifically, as each plan is an amount per month, do you pay one lump sum for a specific number of months, or do you have to do a recurring payment every month?
I didn't see a way to do a lump payment, it looks like your credit card (or PayPal) will be automatically billed every month unless you stop it. Since I have time remaining on my current subscription, it would be nice if there were a way to have it charge only after the remaining months are used up, but I don't think there's a way to do that. I think I'll have to turn off billing after February and try to remember to turn it back on in time to not miss any...
I think that Matt said that you get charged for February and then automatically get credit for the remaining months you have previously paid for before automatic billing kicks in. In theory, you don't need to do anything once you sign up until you cancel your subscription.

Guests in town, so I likely won't get to look at the puzzle until tomorrow.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

This was a Year 1, Month 1, Week 1. But a good 1.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

ky-mike wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:06 pm I think that Matt said that you get charged for February and then automatically get credit for the remaining months you have previously paid for before automatic billing kicks in. In theory, you don't need to do anything once you sign up until you cancel your subscription.
I hope you're right, that would be ideal. But as far as I remember, Matt said that it would help with the transition if we paid for February (which I'm happy to do), and then we would be credited for remaining months, but he didn't say that everything would be automatic. Once we set it up, I think it's possible that Patreon will keep billing our credit cards every month by default unless we tell it otherwise; that's what it's designed to do. Oh well, I guess we'll find out soon enough!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

damefox wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:48 pm Got it. Easy week 1, even though I had to do a little googling.

Follow the link on Matt’s page. It’s pretty self explanatory.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Pretty easy first puzzle of the year.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Solved my first MGWCC, I think.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲: