#78 - "Where Did You Go?"

Creative and challenging meta crosswords (currently on hiatus) from: www.pgwcc.net
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Tina wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:29 pm Nope. That was never going to happen for me.
ditto
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

I had CASPER, MARLEY, BLOODY MARY, and CLYDE, but couldn't come up with KIBOSH, even knowing what I was looking for. I thought maybe the answer would be something like "I've been ghosted." I did all sorts of things with what I had, but for whatever reason, I failed to write down just the first letters of each! (Probably would have been stumped without that last K, anyway.) Fair loss.
pgw

Post by pgw »

FrankieHeck wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:04 pm I had CASPER, MARLEY, BLOODY MARY, and CLYDE, but couldn't come up with KIBOSH, even knowing what I was looking for.
I'm curious for those in the same boat - was the parenthetical in the clue for SHUT DOWN unclear that the films were based on the same cartoon as above? That was my intent (once I realized that Kibosh was only Casper's nemesis in the movie adaptations, not the original cartoon, I realized he was probably pretty obscure so I didn't want to make the search too hard.) If it had been a different cartoon I'd have used the indefinite article ... but if I didn't communicate that well enough, apologies.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

pgw wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:40 pm
FrankieHeck wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:04 pm I had CASPER, MARLEY, BLOODY MARY, and CLYDE, but couldn't come up with KIBOSH, even knowing what I was looking for.
I'm curious for those in the same boat - was the parenthetical in the clue for SHUT DOWN unclear that the films were based on the same cartoon as above? That was my intent (once I realized that Kibosh was only Casper's nemesis in the movie adaptations, not the original cartoon, I realized he was probably pretty obscure so I didn't want to make the search too hard.) If it had been a different cartoon I'd have used the indefinite article ... but if I didn't communicate that well enough, apologies.
I think I got that part... What I missed was that the parenthetical didn't describe the alternate answer, but that the alternate answer was a character in the parenthetical, so I was obviously pretty confused. I did think of Marley and Bloody Mary, you'd think I could have figured it out from those! But I was also sure that I had to do something with the missing vowels, so I was mostly on the wrong track :-)
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

pgw wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:40 pm
I personally didn't get that it was referring to the same cartoon. I think I would have come up with the fifth word had I realized that, which would have given me more time to maybe figure out the final step. I interpreted it to mean the animated films were based on the cartoon of the same name. I vaguely remember at some point coming up with a ghost from Casper for the fifth, so I actually must have briefly hit on Kibosh. I don't know why I discounted it. I don't think I would have thought it *couldn't* be from the same cartoon.

I really have been having trouble focusing on things lately, and this puzzle just had a lot for me to wrap my head around!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

FrankieHeck wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:04 pm I had CASPER, MARLEY, BLOODY MARY, and CLYDE, but couldn't come up with KIBOSH, even knowing what I was looking for. I thought maybe the answer would be something like "I've been ghosted." I did all sorts of things with what I had, but for whatever reason, I failed to write down just the first letters of each! (Probably would have been stumped without that last K, anyway.) Fair loss.
Yeah, I got those four ghosts but chose ZERO (the ghost dog from Nightmare Before Christmas movies) for NIX. Not sure if I would've been able to come up with the right fifth ghost anyway, since I dismissed the "first letter of each ghost" approach because it was gibberish...yeah, with no vowels, it could only have been gibberish. This meta was gettable, but I never finished.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Kibosh was in the first page of google hits for cartoon ghost (for me).